What do you think?

Options
124»

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    teranga79 wrote: »
    This may well be the most confusing post I've ever read on here (and I read a lot of them!) Fwiw, if I'm understanding the OP correctly, I predict a pretty rapid weight gain as those numbers are just ridiculous.

This.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP's approach is fine (her numbers may not be, but her approach is fine). She's basically doing TDEE, just not explaining it very well.

Yes but she appears to be eating her entire TDEE save 100 calories or so. This isn't going to lead to the results you're looking for, OP.

Exactly. *If* the exercise expenditures are calculated correctly, she's eating at maintenance levels, give or take. (I'd argue that 100 calories or so would serve only as a buffer for any calculation errors.) That's going to lead to maintaining weight, minus your typical fluctuations, and not actually losing.

Which is fine. But that's not the goal the OP says she has.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well, it both *sounds* like her calculation method is a-typical and under-estimated and her burn a-typical and higher than expected.

Five lbs are either a water weight swing or an almost 3000 Cal a day deficit in addition to consuming 3000 Cal a day. I.e a tdee of ~6k Cal a day.

If the op is an elite level athlete and/or training like one, then her burn would be correspondingly high.

If she is then my advice would be to seek to reduce weight slowly.

Using a weight trend application may help smooth out SOME water weight variation by concentrating on the weight trend over time.

Unless both significantly overweight and applying a large deficit it is unlikely that one will see losses every week so the possibility of scale number fluctuations is not trivial.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 for HR tracking and calorie burn

Fitness trackers can over estimate burns but you may get lucky. I have a fitbit charge HR2. When I first started using FitBit it overestimated a lot but the more I used it the more accurate it became. I'm not sure about Garmin but hopefully its similar.

For instance when I first started with the heart rate tracker it estimated I burned around 700 cals for a 1hr boxing program I do 3xs a week, a year and several weigh ins later, it typically gives me a burn of around 400 depending on how vigorous the workout. When using the 700 burn I was not getting expected results but I am now.