Anyone been successful with Couch to 5k?

Options
Hi Everyone

I've downloaded the Couch to 5k app today and am going to give it a try. I enjoy running but also hate it at the same time as I can't seem to pace myself correctly or I become so out of breath so I thought I'd give this app a whirl. I would love to run 5k without feeling so out of breath.

Has anyone else tried this app and found it to be helpful?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lots

@tinkerbellang83 manages a group for us.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I loved it!

Disclosure though:
    I don't know what your current fitness level is at, but for me, I was not successful straight from the couch. I tried it and gave it up three times before now; both of those times were me at basically zero fitness getting up off the couch and trying to do the program. This isn't always the case - lots of people succeed from the couch, but there are also lots of people who find it too hard and need to do a lead-up.

I just 'graduated' three weeks ago, finally. I had a four month lead up with lots of walking, other cardio/HIIT workouts, and strength training. I started C25k basically because walking wasn't 'cardio' enough for me any more. I flew through the program with ease.

I have heard there is a pre-C25K program available for those who feel they could benefit from starting slower.

But definitely give it a try! I'm running 5k three times a week now, and really enjoying it. Good luck, you CAN do it.
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Unlike the previous poster, I hate running. Can't abide it. But I did couch to 5k. My tips for you

- breathing. Look on youtube for breathing techniques. My lungs would scream at me at first but I found a rhythm that worked for me and it was immediately much easier
    - Tiny steps. When starting you're not going for distance. You're going for jogging for 1 minute. That movement just a bit more than fast walking. As your stamina increases so will you ability to jog faster and longer.
    - music/podcasts. For me, running was so dull! I found podcasts that lasted at least 30 mins so I wasn't fiddling with my music player.
    - one run at a time. Like MFP, C25k is a long process. At best it will take 8-9 weeks. Each run is progress. I think I did week 4 for 3 weeks.

I don't run anymore as I'm not a person who enjoys running (lots of my friends do and I'm in awe of thm).* But C25k has taught me all the things above and I still use those lessons and apply them to other situations. Including my weight loss.

*This may be because I'm heavy and lugging this frame around the streets is something I don't like doing. When I reach my goal I may consider it again.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    I loved it!

Disclosure though:
    I don't know what your current fitness level is at, but for me, I was not successful straight from the couch. I tried it and gave it up three times before now; both of those times were me at basically zero fitness getting up off the couch and trying to do the program. This isn't always the case - lots of people succeed from the couch, but there are also lots of people who find it too hard and need to do a lead-up.

I just 'graduated' three weeks ago, finally. I had a four month lead up with lots of walking, other cardio/HIIT workouts, and strength training. I started C25k basically because walking wasn't 'cardio' enough for me any more. I flew through the program with ease.

I have heard there is a pre-C25K program available for those who feel they could benefit from starting slower.

But definitely give it a try! I'm running 5k three times a week now, and really enjoying it. Good luck, you CAN do it.

Good advice.

DON'T start C25K unless you can briskly walk for 30-45 minutes and at least 2 miles(3K or so)
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I'm fairly active, I go to the gym every lunch time and do classes such as bodypump, step, fatburn but the past few weeks I've started to try running again and I've been going on the stairmaster too.

I can't wait to try it....I'm off now to give it a whirl.

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    C25K is great :) definitely gives you a nice structured way of achieving your goal which really helped me.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Bobble11 wrote: »
    Unlike the previous poster, I hate running. Can't abide it. But I did couch to 5k. My tips for you

- breathing. Look on youtube for breathing techniques. My lungs would scream at me at first but I found a rhythm that worked for me and it was immediately much easier
    - Tiny steps. When starting you're not going for distance. You're going for jogging for 1 minute. That movement just a bit more than fast walking. As your stamina increases so will you ability to jog faster and longer.
    - music/podcasts. For me, running was so dull! I found podcasts that lasted at least 30 mins so I wasn't fiddling with my music player.
    - one run at a time. Like MFP, C25k is a long process. At best it will take 8-9 weeks. Each run is progress. I think I did week 4 for 3 weeks.

I don't run anymore as I'm not a person who enjoys running (lots of my friends do and I'm in awe of thm).* But C25k has taught me all the things above and I still use those lessons and apply them to other situations. Including my weight loss.

*This may be because I'm heavy and lugging this frame around the streets is something I don't like doing. When I reach my goal I may consider it again.

Not sure how heavy is heavy, but I'm heavy, and I've learned to love running with C25K.

Also. Forgot from earlier. SHOES, Get good shoes. Get fitted. Track your mileage and replace them as appropriate.
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Not sure how heavy is heavy, but I'm heavy, and I've learned to love running with C25K.

Also. Forgot from earlier. SHOES, Get good shoes. Get fitted. Track your mileage and replace them as appropriate.

I don't think it's specifically tied to my weight. Running for me is a massive effort and I think a combination of mentally not liking running and where my bulk is placed (I'm a pear shape) means that my body just FEELS heavy when I run.

I think when I reach my goal and am maintaining I'll feel a lot better about myself and then the running will be about the actual act of running rather than a means to an end for weight loss. Which is why I think I'll go back to C25k at a later date, because it DOES work! :)

And shoes is a great shout. Definitely worth the investment!
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yep, that’s how I got started. Have done 3 half marathons and countless triathlons
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    C25K can be a gateway drug...

I started it almost a year ago and now I run 4-5 days a week, have run a half marathon, do 1-2 races of varying distances per month (mix of road and trail), am considering bumping my August race up to a half marathon, etc etc etc.

I'm slow AF but I totally love it.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For now, as far as pacing yourself, You have to warm up before you run and start slower than how fast you normally jog and ease into it, going out all gung ho in the beginning usually ends in a miserable finish, warm up before your run always and everytime, the logic is to open up the blood vessels so you're ready and good to go when you hit the ground running, kinda like how you warm up your car before you drive it during winter but long term, you have to reduce your body mass index (BMI) if you want to be less out of breathe mainly because less body mass means the less the heart has to oxygenate.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Did it and loved it. I had two kids and two years so I hadn't ran since I was 20 weeks preg with #1. It was great to ramp up slowly to the distances with plenty of walking. Now I run 3 miles every other day and hope to get close to 50 miles under my belt this month.
    My only advice is to take walking breaks whenever you feel like you are out of breath. Don't take long ones, just 15-30 seconds but it can help you recover and you can get back to running. ALSO, just run slow, like really really really slow at first. Sometimes we jump into "running" when it should be more like jogging or fast walking. There a couple different c25k groups on this app if you search for them.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I've downloaded the Couch to 5k app today and am going to give it a try. I enjoy running but also hate it at the same time as I can't seem to pace myself correctly or I become so out of breath so I thought I'd give this app a whirl. I would love to run 5k without feeling so out of breath.

I found it was a great way to get me started with running. I now run 5Ks regularly and occasional 10Ks! I think C25K is great for helping with pacing because you quickly work out that to maintain the longer time periods you need to slow yourself down and then everything just clicks into place!

Another top I would give is don't feel disheartened if at the end of the program you can't run a whole 5K within 30 minutes. The goal is to graduate to running for 30 minutes without stopping, after that you can work on your speed and see how long 5K takes you to complete. It took me a whole year after C25K to actually crack the 30 minute mark on my Parkruns and my daily runs are more at a pace of 5K in 35 minutes.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    run slow. seriously slow. Run slower than you can walk. If you are getting out of breath whilst doing the 'run' segments of c25k, then you are running too fast.

^^^^^yep^^^^^^
    Run slow. What's the rush? Enjoy the outdoors.
    Buy good shoes.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I have never used it but I have heard so much great stuff and know a lot of people that have used it with great success. Based on their inputs alone I recommend it.

I have read a little on it and like what I have read so far and even though I have been a long distant runner since H.S. I will most likely try it myself once I am repaired and cleared to run again. I have a tendency to push myself too hard to fast and I think using an app as a guideline may help me remember to take it slow and in strides. Plus then I can properly recommend the app to people.

Good luck with it.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I found it was a great way to get me started with running. I now run 5Ks regularly and occasional 10Ks! I think C25K is great for helping with pacing because you quickly work out that to maintain the longer time periods you need to slow yourself down and then everything just clicks into place!

Another top I would give is don't feel disheartened if at the end of the program you can't run a whole 5K within 30 minutes. The goal is to graduate to running for 30 minutes without stopping, after that you can work on your speed and see how long 5K takes you to complete. It took me a whole year after C25K to actually crack the 30 minute mark on my Parkruns and my daily runs are more at a pace of 5K in 35 minutes.

The distances vs times make me laugh.. I'm doing the 10k version so I'm around the stage of running 5k, today I thought I did pretty well! Only took me 45 minutes!
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well I did it, first run yesterday, I'm doing run two today. I know it says only 3x a week but I'm assuming thats for people who maybe are first starting exercise etc.

It was so nice to complete 2.59km without that awful feeling of breathlessness because of the walks in-between.