Scale confusion!

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
So I recently bought a scale. I’ve never owned one before. I read a lot about it before I got one, but I’m surprised by the variance. I set it up yesterday, and it’s on flat bathroom tile and I re-calibrate it every time I move it. I tested it with my dumbbells and it weighs them correctly each time.

However, me, it’s weighed at: 191.8, then 193.4, then 192.4, and this morning at 190.4

Edit: rats mfp ate my other 1/2 of my post.

My concern is that maybe the scale is broken?

None of these readings are in a row, like it’ll give me the same one if I let it zero out, even recalibrate. But I weighed myself, got the 191.8, weighed myself with a dumbbell, then without and got the highest. My dad weighed himself (he’s lighter) and then I got the moderate reading. This morning I got the 190.4 reading.

I am also wondering, if this is just normal scale behaviour (or weight fluctuation within a day) should I get some sort of weight tracking app I’ve seen mentioned? If so, what would you recommend?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself at the same time each time (so for example first thing in the morning). Your weight will fluctuate through the day, and from day to day. In fact, your weight could fluctuate 5-6 lbs just in a day, depending on time of day, food eaten, salty food, water retention etc.

Use a trend weight app, such as Libra, this plots your weight as a trend, and although the ACTUAL weight looks to be variable, this uses an algorithm to show what direction (eg. downwards) the trend is.

Don't worry too much about fluctuations for your bodyweight. They are normal. And try and keep your scale in the same place.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So.

1. It's possible your tile isn't as flat as you believe
    2. Fluctuations are fairly normal
    3. What's your goal weight? If it's more than 20 pounds away, minor(2 lb) variances won't keep you from effectively trend tracking.
    4. A fair test for the scale.-record each. Weigh once, Weigh with 1 dumbbell(at least 15 lb) Weigh with 2. Weigh without dumbells, weigh with 2. Weigh with 1, Weigh without. If the measurements(other than the first one) are within a half pound of correct. Don't sweat it. And just weigh 2-3 times in the morning.
    5. Make sure you're standing on the scale the same way every time. Leaning forward/back/side-side or swaying can affect the reading.
  • kiela64
    edited May 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    weigh yourself at the same time each time (so for example first thing in the morning). Your weight will fluctuate through the day, and from day to day. In fact, your weight could fluctuate 5-6 lbs just in a day, depending on time of day, food eaten, salty food, water retention etc.

Use a trend weight app, such as Libra, this plots your weight as a trend, and although the ACTUAL weight looks to be variable, this uses an algorithm to show what direction (eg. downwards) the trend is.

Don't worry too much about fluctuations for your bodyweight. They are normal. And try and keep your scale in the same place.

Yeah, it wasn't at the same times yesterday. It was my first time setting it up, so I was trying to see if it worked or not. I guess I'll hold off judgement for it, and assume it's doing it's job correctly and weigh in the mornings I guess?

It's been in the same spot, but I do have to tuck it under the sink so it gets "moved" a few inches, so I figured it's best to just re-calibrate it every time.

Oh & thank you for the recommendation, I'll look up Libra! - Looked it up, do you need to have a bluetooth enabled scale? I didn't get one because I didn't think I needed the fancy stuff.
  • kiela64
    Options
    So.

3. What's your goal weight? If it's more than 20 pounds away, minor(2 lb) variances won't keep you from effectively trend tracking.
    4. A fair test for the scale.-record each. Weigh once, Weigh with 1 dumbbell(at least 15 lb) Weigh with 2. Weigh without dumbells, weigh with 2. Weigh with 1, Weigh without. If the measurements(other than the first one) are within a half pound of correct. Don't sweat it. And just weigh 2-3 times in the morning.
    5. Make sure you're standing on the scale the same way every time. Leaning forward/back/side-side or swaying can affect the reading.

#1 is absolutely possible, but it's the flattest area in the house. I can't use it upstairs because our floors are very warped. We have a lot of carpeted areas too. So this is pretty much the best-possible location.

I know that fluctuations are normal, I was just surprised at how much it fluctuated within an hour haha. I've never had a scale before!

Oh yeah my "goal weight" is like....normal BMI. So it's a good 40+lbs away. As long as the scale isn't uber defective, and I can use an app to track it, I'll do that. I'd really rather not deal with the hassle of returning things. I'll try your test, thank you!

Ah, yeah. I do lean a little forward to see the number. It hides under my boobs :lol: It does flash and then save it for a few seconds so I supposed I could stand straighter and then get off to check it and that might be more accurate.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Okay, @stanmann571 I did your test!

I also poked around to find a spot on the floor where the scale didn't wobble. More difficult than I expected, but I did find one tile where there was no wobbling when I pressed on each corner. And it actually gave me the same reading both times without the weight (191.6). So I'm going to guess that it's not broken, but it was the floor/my posture + daily fluctuations that were giving me some wonky readings.

Thanks for your help! I've never done this before, so if I sound a little silly being confused about this bear that in mind. We never had a scale in the house growing up, so my experience with them is very limited. :smile: I really appreciate the help!
  • stanmann571
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Okay, @stanmann571 I did your test!

I also poked around to find a spot on the floor where the scale didn't wobble. More difficult than I expected, but I did find one tile where there was no wobbling when I pressed on each corner. And it actually gave me the same reading both times without the weight (191.6). So I'm going to guess that it's not broken, but it was the floor/my posture + daily fluctuations that were giving me some wonky readings.

Thanks for your help! I've never done this before, so if I sound a little silly being confused about this bear that in mind. We never had a scale in the house growing up, so my experience with them is very limited. :smile: I really appreciate the help!

Good luck on your Weightloss journey.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    My weight jumps 1-2 lbs within the first hour I'm awake, just from adding clothes and drinking my morning Dt DP. I always weigh first thing after using the restroom and before dressing. (It still fluctuates from day to day, but it's trending down)
  • stanmann571
    Options
    So.

#1 is absolutely possible, but it's the flattest area in the house. I can't use it upstairs because our floors are very warped. We have a lot of carpeted areas too. So this is pretty much the best-possible location.

I know that fluctuations are normal, I was just surprised at how much it fluctuated within an hour haha. I've never had a scale before!

Oh yeah my "goal weight" is like....normal BMI. So it's a good 40+lbs away. As long as the scale isn't uber defective, and I can use an app to track it, I'll do that. I'd really rather not deal with the hassle of returning things. I'll try your test, thank you!

Ah, yeah. I do lean a little forward to see the number. It hides under my boobs :lol: It does flash and then save it for a few seconds so I supposed I could stand straighter and then get off to check it and that might be more accurate.

As long as you lean the same way every time, it's not an issue. The Number on the scale isn't what matters, as much as ensuring that the method used was consistent.

You could balance on one foot in a ballet bow, as long as you did it the same way every day, the trend of the numbers would be useful and beneficial.

Changing things up is where you'll have trouble, so generally it's easier to try to stand straight, hands down, eyes up, back straight and feet in about the same spot. I have a Bluetooth scale, so I don't need to look at the scale, just at my phone(afterwards)
  • kiela64
    Options
    So.

As long as you lean the same way every time, it's not an issue. The Number on the scale isn't what matters, as much as ensuring that the method used was consistent.

You could balance on one foot in a ballet bow, as long as you did it the same way every day, the trend of the numbers would be useful and beneficial.

Changing things up is where you'll have trouble, so generally it's easier to try to stand straight, hands down, eyes up, back straight and feet in about the same spot. I have a Bluetooth scale, so I don't need to look at the scale, just at my phone(afterwards)

Lol nice imagery :smiley: Now I see the usefulness of bluetooth. I did not think about it when I was getting one, no idea why people would want it. Oh well :tongue:

Thanks again for your help!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    So.

To the bolded: When you think about it, it's just common sense, even ignoring the complicated body effects like water weight gains from sodium, workouts, illness/healing, or women's time of month.

Weigh yourself, chug 2 cups of water, weigh yourself again, you'll weigh a pound more. Eat 4oz of chicken, 4oz broccoli, drink 12oz of iced tea and finish with a 4oz apple, weigh yourself again - poof, you're up a pound and a half. Use the restroom, sweat, you're down a bit again. And if you have clothes or shoes on, and change those . . . major differences - some of my shoes weigh a pound or two more than others.

;)
  • stanmann571
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So.

To the bolded: When you think about it, it's just common sense, even ignoring the complicated body effects like water weight gains from sodium, workouts, illness/healing, or women's time of month.

Weigh yourself, chug 2 cups of water, weigh yourself again, you'll weigh a pound more. Eat 4oz of chicken, 4oz broccoli, drink 12oz of iced tea and finish with a 4oz apple, weigh yourself again - poof, you're up a pound and a half. Use the restroom, sweat, you're down a bit again. And if you have clothes or shoes on, and change those . . . major differences - some of my shoes weigh a pound or two more than others.

;)

LOL, indeed! clothing can be a huge contributor to fluctuations as well.
  • kiela64
    Options
    So.

;)

Well yes, I knew that if water or food entered or exited or you added clothes/took clothes off, things would change. But none of those things happened lol. I figured the weight should be stable with all those things the same. Nope! :tongue:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    So.

;)

Well yes, I knew that if water or food entered or exited or you added clothes/took clothes off, things would change. But none of those things happened lol. I figured the weight should be stable with all those things the same. Nope! :tongue:

For many people, there's a reasonably big weight drop overnight. Maybe some sweating, but mostly exhalation. Bodies are weird. ;)