plateau help - hypothyroid - I am getting SO frustrated.

Options
1235»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I can't remember who asked it- but yes, I did get my vitamin D levels tested and I was really low, so I am supplementing that as well.
    I know the RMR test and the extrapolated TDEE won't be 100% accurate, but I am just looking for something closer to accurate than my typing my age, height and weight into a website. I figure, the closer I can get to accurate, the better.

Speaking as someone who has tested myself and other patients thousands of times you may be surprised with how accurate that website calculation is.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This calculator put me at 2051 (6'4", 215 lb, 47 yr, male). Instrument result puts me at 2247, but I ate a 1/2 bag of potato chips last night, so a spike is expected. Over the past year my low point was at 1850 and my highest point was 2478, but my weight also was ~235 at that time.

says my BMR is 1515. no way its that high. with all the data I have over the years my BMR is about 1272. Im eating 1580 calories net per day(or less). and I have been maintaining my weight for the last 3 months.I averaged my tdee out to be 1971. and I eat on average that amount of calories before exercise. even when I dropped my calories down to 1300+ before exercise I wasnt losing anything.I guess Im an outlier(not sure if it has to do with my metabolic issue or not).
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like you're doing a lot of activity and taking in a small amount of food. I would eat 1200 calories a day and not exercise for a week and see how your body responds.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like you're doing a lot of activity and taking in a small amount of food. I would eat 1200 calories a day and not exercise for a week and see how your body responds.

thing is with a thyroid issue if your levels are not where they should be it makes losing weight hard for many people. she can try that. and 1200 is the absolute minimum to eat. no one should be eating less than that unless they are short,sedentary,elderly or an outlier. or under tha care of a dr. my daughter ate less than 1200 calories most days (we were weighing and tracking everything,she is also obese) and she still lost no weight. her thyroid levels still havent balanced out as of yet.they keep raising. so her endo told her not to try to lose weight until they can get her levels stable,but to continue to be active and trying to eat as best as she can.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Update- I’m not sure it’s the thyroid meds- since I’ve only been on them for 3 weeks now, but my plateau has broken. After 3 mos of stuck at 150- I’m now down to 147, maybe that’s the hypothyroid excess fluid being corrected? Or maybe my body decided to cooperate, lol. I’m eating an average of 1400 (total, not net) a day lately, with 200-500 cals burned (I’m under estimating what Fitbit is telling me) from exercise. I feel more relaxed, not sticking so rigidly to 1200- so my reduced stress might be helping, too. I can’t imagine the hormones have kicked in already, maybe it’s placebo right now, but I’m certainly not going to complain.

Love it! Keep it up!

Yeah - don't fret about success. The impact stress has is incredible - also nearly impossible to quantify as it is completely subjective. I've watched patients go from perfectly healthy to near death simply due to stress. It is critical to develop coping mechanisms to de-stress yourself and keep these as part of your routine.