how do you really succeed at this?

Options

Replies

• Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. - Weight loss
    Lift heavy things. - Muscle preservation.
    Eat plenty of protein. - Muscle preservation and satiety.
    Eat ample fats. - Satiety and health.

After you're nearer to your goal weight, look into body recomp for the actual muscle build.

You aren't going to build significant muscle while eating in a deficit.

All good advice above me, serindipte given great bullet point summary.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    consistency
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    OK, everyone. I went back to all these things suggested here. I am also eating back all of my exercise calories as well as planning my meals in advance. I'm logging all my food and exercise not exceeding my calorie goal.

I don't eat back my exercise calories. I know many eat back some, but most do not eat back all of their exercise calories. If you find that you are not losing, eating back all the exercise calories could be the reason, as it's easy to over calculate calorie expenditure.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I'm 42, female, mom. I've lost nearly 200lbs.

Eat fewer calories than you use. Don't "diet", just eat smarter to develop habits that you can keep for the rest of your life. Incorporate exercises that you enjoy, even if it's just dancing in your kitchen while making dinner.

That's it. It takes a lot of patience, there will be good days and bad, just keep going.

^ Good answer.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    As we get older, we actually believe our excuse that our body is broken. Like we are stuck being overweight for some reason; age, thyroid, pcos, slow metabolism...you name it..

In the end, they're all excuses. You can lose weight and get fit at any age. i'm almost at goal, and i feel i have lost at the same pace as many years ago. It just took me sticking with a plan, working it honestly,and measuring the outcomes..(not hiding from the scale).

The first step to success to taking responsibility for where you're at ..and accepting that you got yourself there...and only "you" can get yourself out and to where your want to be.

Only you can do this!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    I have often asked the same question, even when I am actually losing. I started MFP in February only tracked what I ate for the first couple weeks, the good, the bad and the ugly. Then decided to really pay attention and try to get to only 1200 daily. This was tough without exercising to get some calories earned. I didn't start doing any real exercising of any kind until the end of April though.

I started really getting involved in some of the message boards on here and have found that the success and challenges others have and how they have dealt with the slips have helped me tremendously. I felt that I was losing so slowly, but I did a 10 Day challenge that made me realize I had lost 3 pounds in 10 days, when I looked at that I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have lost 12 pounds so far.

I truly believe everyone has to find what will work for them and learn to be patient, the loss won't happen in a week or two, but over time, with consistency, a change does occur.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had looked at exercise before but never committed because the workouts were either too hard for a beginner, or because they said I needed things to even do it and I wasn't willing to commit expense to it. I never joined a gym because I was too anxious about others judging me.

The workout trainer that got me to actually start moving was Jessica Smith TV. She has a lot of workouts posted on youtube, or you can look for her specific site and go to "Exercise Videos". I started with her 30 min beginner full body at the beginning of April, and since starting I have actually been eager to research other routines and do more each day. I NEVER thought I would be the kind of person who was excited about exercise of any kind, yet here I am.

You got this. Focus on small steps and try to do something/anything each day. As you perfect one healthy habit (watching portion sizes, changing your diet, activity every day), continue and add a step (watch portion & what you eat, watch food & exercise levels, etc). When life happens and you miss a step one day, wake up the next morning knowing that yesterday is behind you and today is full of potential =)

• wendhall
    wendhall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the post, I am 49 and have PCOS with 50+ pounds to lose. I ask the same questions, how do I do this once and for all. Through the years I have lost weight and kept it off a few months but it has never been permanent. I am older now and it is more difficult, the health problems add up and I have a lot of degenerative joint/arthritis problems. I have returned to school and work full time too. There is so much conflicting information out there too, enjoyed the post.
  • tararaboomdeeah
    tararaboomdeeah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im 42. I have put on 8 kilos over the last year and had convinced myself that it was due to hormones. It was not! I have been exercising 5/6 days a week for the last 2 months and cutting back on calorie intake and can see a big difference already. More importantly, I feel way better about myself. I actually think I had become depressed from inactivity and generally feeling crap about the way I looked.
    As regards exercise, I personally think the best way to get really defined is to mix cardio with strength training. I got seriously ripped about 5 years ago by using my fitness pal to track my calorie intake and doing a mix of running and pilates 6 days a week. The results were incredible after about 9 months.
    Have let things slip over the last few years but now I'm back to a mix of pilates and spinning and Im starting to get places. You have to do it slowly though. And just keep going!
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 41, in perimenopause, and have around 40lbs yet to lose. I'm down about 12lbs in the past few months. I have regular battles with that little voice in my head that says I should be losing weight faster.

Like so many posters before me have said- it's all about calories in and calories burned. It sounds too simplistic but it's true. It just takes time. That's the hardest part for me- patience.

You can do this! Just concentrate on logging what you eat for now and do your best to stay within the recommended intake and you'll start seeing results.

Even if it's little by little- it's still happening.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you are female and in your mid 40s, at least 50 lbs overweight, have something hormonal going on like PCOS, and you really want to get it together and be a real success story before 50 with great muscle and a slim body, how do you really get it done? I'm tired of being unhappy and disappointed in the body I'm in. As pathetic as it may sound, I know yhat achieving this is the only real thing in my life that is going to make me happy. I'd like to hear from someone who really knows what it takes to get it done.

I think that everyone is essentially saying the same thing: consistency and persistence. In other words, take your *kitten* to the gym "every day' and show up EVERY DAY.

On a more concrete plan, consider this:

1. create "medium" goals....but create several mini-goals along the path to the medium goal.
    2. create "end goal".....but create several medium goals along the path to the end goal
    3. create a plan for what happens once you reach your end goal.
    4. re-read #3

Celebrate all of the mini-goals. Make the rewards - generally speaking - non-food related.

Find a pre-cooked training program. There are lots and lots. Strong Curves is a great one. It has a 'work out at home with no weights' part....

Get your nutrition together. Consider meal prep (where you cook a lot of food, on Sunday for example, and have everything just sitting in the fridge, waiting for you.

I am 51. I am in pretty dang good shape. I have been that way for the last six year. I was pretty fat at one point (during that last three years of the marriage and during the divorce). Anyway, I changed that. It did not happen overnight. It took a year. Your mileage may vary.

Some said this: the process is simple, but not easy. SO VERY TRUE. Keep that in mind....it will be very useful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!