Diet food is horrible

2»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Spices are nealy zero calories... Many diet blogs list foods that are bland, but that doesn't mean you cannot add spices. Plain, grilled chicken breast isn't very appetizing....but, lime & cilantro grilled chicken breast is much better (if you like lime & cilantro) and the calorie difference is almost negligible. Just play with different spices and seasoning.
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Yea, if you like carbs, enjoy them so you’re not just eating chicken and veg day in and day out. That would bore many people. I have found some success enjoying carbs and proteins, but trying to watch my fat and sugar intake. Kinda DASH diet inspired. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what kinds of foods work for you. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    idk maybe it's what you consider diet food.
    i eat ginger chicken and broccoli and beef. yogurt and cream cheese is good with berries. overnight oats can be pretty spectacular
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    There are some hacks I've learned. Like tossing veggies in a Ziploc bag with a teaspoon or two of oil plus seasonings, then roasting. It takes less oil to coat the vegetables than if I drizzled it. I find it easy to overdo potatoes, so now I either oven bake "fries" with some julienned carrot thrown in, or dice them and roast them with cubed butternut squash.

But I wouldn't say I eat diet food. I'd say I control my portions and that it sort of works out that there are some foods I used to eat that I've stopped because they're not worth the calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    idk maybe it's what you consider diet food.
    i eat ginger chicken and broccoli and beef. yogurt and cream cheese is good with berries. overnight oats can be pretty spectacular

I think "Diet" food is subjective. After nearly 18 months on a deprivation diet, halo top made me just about fall over when I tried it! I now eat to support my goals and satiety. A lot of my food is very "Bro-ish" IE Sweet potatoes, chicken breast, tilapia, Quinoa, brown rice, veggies, ect. Though I do enjoy my greek yogurt and fruit, real butter, and PB&J sandwiches. There are many recipes online. Experiment!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Try weighing and logging your foods. You’ll find out soon enough which ones are calorie bombs. If so, portion out the meal accordingly. If you don’t like sauces that will cut down the calorie count quite a bit.

You like veggies and carbs. Many meals (Italian, Mediterranean, Indian) revolve around veggies and carbs.

If you don’t like spices and you don’t like bland, what are you left with?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well, yeah if you decide you don't like sauces and dressings and any herbs or spices, that does kind of leave you with a lot of bland. If your pickiness is affecting your ability to eat, a therapist might be able to help you with your food issues.

I'm also confused that you are talking about diet blogs but say "most recipes have cheese all over them", these are diet recipes???

Just log whatever food you like to eat and play around with the portions so you hit your calorie goal. I ate the same stuff when I was losing weight that I'm eating now in maintenance, just slightly larger portions now. Just learn as you go. And if your diet is really limited, it really is a good idea to try to expand your horizons and consider different cooking methods and combinations, it just make life easier.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 215 Member
    The problem with eating 'diet' food is that sooner or later you stop dieting. I'm with everyone who is advising you to make an eating plan from food you like.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Well, it could be the OP prefers high fat high salt foods. They can be tasty and lacking in spices. That could be deep fried anything.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I don’t get it... you know what foods you like. Just eat whatever you like no ones forcing you to eat these foods? Eat what you want within your calorie limit.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I don’t get it... you know what foods you like. Just eat whatever you like no ones forcing you to eat these foods? Eat what you want within your calorie limit.

@xxzenabxx Exactly. Today I had a McDonald's Happy Meal. I am fairly sure that no one would call that "health" food. I also made sure to do an extra work out in order to fit it into my day. I never get why people think that in order to lose weight you have to eat nothing but baked chicken breast, kale and quinoa.