Narcissistic or not?

Options
NerdyFlex
NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
Why do some individuals perceive one to be a tool for posting a physique picture? I am proud of my own progress and most people are supportive. However, some people always think I’m egotistical or arrogant for doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• NerdyFlex
    Options
    I was referring to social media, particularly Instagram.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    Why do some individuals perceive one to be a tool for posting a physique picture? I am proud of my own progress and most people are supportive. However, some people always think I’m egotistical or arrogant for doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I completely avoid posting anything in regards to my physique any where such as Facebook just to avoid that. I have very few of my actual friends on my Instagram and non on here so I tend to limit the pictures to these two sites.

But I agree. It's generally the people closest that have something to say regarding arrogance. I truly just believe it's them being petty and envious. Or maybe we just do come off narcissistic. Who knows.
  • NerdyFlex
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I completely avoid posting anything in regards to my physique any where such as Facebook just to avoid that. I have very few of my actual friends on my Instagram and non on here so I tend to limit the pictures to these two sites.

But I agree. It's generally the people closest that have something to say regarding arrogance. I truly just believe it's them being petty and envious. Or maybe we just do come off narcissistic. Who knows.

I agree with you, I would even take it a step further and say that it’s usually those who don’t workout that hate. The majority of my friends have better physiques than my own and always encourage me. Appreciate the feedback!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    You're a narcissist whether you post pictures or not no matter the platform. So, why care? Why validate their biases?

What

You are if you do. You are if you don't.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you seeking wise and balanced feedback from the Instagram crowd? That’s your mistake right there.

No narcissism displayed there.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    You're a narcissist whether you post pictures or not no matter the platform. So, why care? Why validate their biases?

What

You are if you do. You are if you don't.

I disagree, I don't think that people are automatically narcissistic.

You are a healthy individual viewing a friend's Instagram page. People who tend to criticize, will do so, whether you post fitness, family, food, peppy gifs updates or not. They will turn the Instagram page owner into a narcissist. The page owner is a narcissist to that individual, regardless.
  • NerdyFlex
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ok so to help clarify. I am ok with people seeing the pictures, hence why I post them. I don’t post them for validation necessarily. I post them because working out is my hobby and I’m just proud of my hard work! I was just curious as to what the general consensus was on a physique picture.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Ok so to help clarify. I am ok with people seeing the pictures, hence why I post them. I don’t post them for validation necessarily. I post them because working out is my hobby and I’m just proud of my hard work!

I know you don't@validation. Caring about their nonsensical thoughts in relation to your progress puts far too much emphasis on their negativity. My 2 cents.
  • NerdyFlex
    Options
    Ok so to help clarify. I am ok with people seeing the pictures, hence why I post them. I don’t post them for validation necessarily. I post them because working out is my hobby and I’m just proud of my hard work!

I know you don't@validation. Caring about their nonsensical thoughts in relation to your progress puts far too much emphasis on their negativity. My 2 cents.

I completely agree, I just never had the intent of displaying arrogance and it kinda makes me disappointed that my picture could display. I was just curious as to what someone generally thinks of a physique picture
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

I completely agree, I just never had the intent of displaying arrogance and it kinda makes me disappointed that my picture could display. I was just curious as to what someone generally thinks of a physique picture

Some people cannot contain themselves where "the jealousy virus" is concerned. Your physique change is remarkable. You have the right to be proud enough to share it with your friends. Congratulations!
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Some people find emphasizing physical appearance in any way to be immodest/vain. Could be an insecurity thing, could be a religious thing, could be a cultural thing. They are the same people who dislike it when people post a lot of selfies or care "too much" about fashion/hair/makeup, even though those are perfectly fine interests to have. Can't say I relate to that attitude, but there it is. Decide for yourself if you even care enough about those people to even do anything about it. Everyone's values are different.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

It depends. I'm into lifting. I personally like seeing them as I know what kind of work goes into it. I'm on several forums besides MFP that are bodybuilding/fitness related. I don't post physique pictures anywhere else because I'm aware that if you don't share my hobby and interests then you probably won't care about my cutting progress or want to see constant pictures of me half naked. ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If someone's main fitness goal is to improve their appearance, that tends to come across differently in photos than someone who's more concerned with functional improvements (strength, health, sports, etc). I'm usually more impressed with non-mirror victories.. but i don't say anything negative about those who glamour-pose in a different cute outfit each workout. I just don't follow them. :+1:
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Narcissism isn't just based on if you post a pic of your body. Trust me I know. I have first-hand experience with narcissism. It would depend if you have the other traits of a narcissist.