What do you think on Slim Fast?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm only asking for peoples opinions on the plan/products

the plan doesnt teach you portion control or how to eat a balanced diet... and its not sustainable

use MFP, its free and it WORKS!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have tried the slimfast 'diet' 4 times. I had lost about 10 pounds each time and then put it back on. It didn't help me to adjust my eating habits as it replaced meals rather than teaching me how to create better meals. I actually like the taste of some of the slimfast bars but really don't plan on 'dieting' again. If you are looking for a short term fast fix, then the slimfast plan can help you, but if you are looking to make a lifestyle change then slimfast will likely hurt you more than it helps. Any meal replacement plan is likely going to hurt you in the long run as it isn't about changing your lifestyle for life, but about adjusting it for a short term gain.

This is my opinion obviously and it may work different for you if you decide to try it. But again for me it was a waste of money. I still buy protein bars from say special k or cliff and so I am not complaining about the chemical fake food aspect but that it wasn't about adjusting my lifestyle to a more sustainable mode and therefore I failed at it in the end. When you remove the meal bars from your diet and try to return to real food you haven't learned what real food should be limited to.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Diets like this are designed for failure, If they worked you would stop buying thier product, once the weight was gone. Bad business.

I drank it a long time ago.. it's gross, it's not filling, i didn't lose an ounce on it. It's really unhealthy.

exercise. eat healthy. watch your portions and the weight will go away.

There's no magical diet..

Everyone I know who lost weight on slim fast, put it all back on and then some..
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I used slim fast a LONG time ago. I felt it didn't fill me like I expected and was starving within an hour. Since then, I have never touched the stuff. I now drink a Special K protein shake if I need to (It fills me WAY longer than Slim Fast). But I am not doing that program either. But I keep a few shakes in the fridge for the days when I eat a big breakfast or planning on eating a big lunch, to even my calories out for the day. For example, this morning I ate some whole wheat homemade bread with nutella on top. High calories. So I'm planning on drinking a shake for lunch. I also eat Luna bars regularly for breakfast. They're not half bad. With a cup of coffee, they're pretty good! I agree with other commenters, it is good for a quick fix, but not good for the long run. And the long run should be your goal. I did the quick fix with phentermine, lost 50 pounds and gained 30 back within a year. Now I can't use phentermine (my body would need more for it to work and I don't want to use more), so I have to lose weight the good old fashioned way and I'm happy to. It'll hopefully have more lasting effects!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    They were not satisfying like real healthy food is, and it made me constipated. I feel better eating real good foods, I get more nutrition, and I don't spend as much money. All I had to do was a little better planning for real food, instead of just grabbing the quick answer. With MFP, it makes it very easy to plan foods and know the calorie content, I don't have to go with the pre-made junk.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I *occasionally* drink the shakes if I've happen to run out of my protein shakes. I get the Strawberries n cream, because that's the only one I can seem to stomach... but they all taste a bit like chalk. Not very good, IMO. Also, although it claims to suppress hunger, I find that it doesn't and I'm starving by snack-time (which is only like 2 hours after my morning shake). IMO, stay away from them and eat real food that's the equivalent (or more) calories, and enjoy your food.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Nasty waste of money but I do like ensure vanilla high protein haha
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    slim fast tastes like canola oil.
  • xnancyelizabeth
    xnancyelizabeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those with positive comments. I wouldn't think of it as permanent. My friend used slim fast and it helped her loose 3 dress sizes .. 2 shakes a day, snacks veggies n fruit and a meal at the end of the day using a calorie counter. . I would like to use to it drop a dress size or 2 and then continue healthy eating but I just need a little boost to start off. Nothing wrong with it! And it is most certainly something I do NOT want long term! thanks to the positive posters :-) :flowerforyou:
  • Libby51698
    Options
    I agree. You want protein to help re-build your muscles after a work-out (assuming you're working out). This helps build / firm muscles. The higher the protein the better. I use Pure Protein which has 23 grams of protein. My trainer recommends I get 120 grams a day. Sounds hard but if you eat a piece of steak, that's about 30 grams there. Plus there's protein in nuts and other food you wouldn't think of.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I did this about 3 years ago and although I lost a little, I did have to stop because it raised my sugar levels into the pre-diabetic range. It has enough sugar that it wasn't a good match for me. I will suggest you look at more than just Slim Fast if you want to go the shake replacement route. There are some great meal replacment shake products that have better nutrition and protein than Slim Fast.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those with positive comments. I wouldn't think of it as permanent. My friend used slim fast and it helped her loose 3 dress sizes .. 2 shakes a day, snacks veggies n fruit and a meal at the end of the day using a calorie counter. . I would like to use to it drop a dress size or 2 and then continue healthy eating but I just need a little boost to start off. Nothing wrong with it! And it is most certainly something I do NOT want long term! thanks to the positive posters :-) :flowerforyou:

The problem is... doing 2 shakes a day with just random fruit/veg inbetween with a single meal that's counted...

why not just start counting those meals now instead of going through the "I'm losing water weight! YAY!" and then "WHY AM I NOT LOSING ANYMORE!?" when you go back to real food?

Oh, and here:
    unicorn.jpg

Since you like positive comments, I'm adding in a unicorn and bunnies.

If you use it as a temporary fix, the results are going to be temporary too. Thought about that? There isn't a "do this, lose weight, go back to eating food and magically stay thin" after. Your friend lost water weight. You'll do the same.

But again, you seem pretty dead-set on this, since anyone that told you it wasn't a good idea wasn't being positive? Oh wait, except we are. We're telling you what has happened before.. since we've probably been down that road before.

You can choose what information you want, but if it's cuddles, hugs, and "here, yeah, just do slimfast since it's awesome and helped your friend lost water weight" then I'm not gonna be that guy.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think its a great chalk flavored laxative
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You don't want long term? So you lose 2 dress sizes, try to get off the plan and then gain them right back...maybe more and you are okay with this? I really hope you reconsider doing things that you will be able to sustain and maintain rather than yo-yo.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think Slimfast is a protein bar or physllium husk thing to keep you full. Products like these are meant to help you if you are constantly hungry and such (which I would think is caused by a thyroid issue?).... so if you are an emotional/bored eater type this probably won't help you... just a thought. I saw another Slim Fast topic floating around recently.
    That isn't what Slim Fast is.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast will work...it's good to use for a meal here and there to avoid bingeing. HOWEVER and a very big HOWEVER, it will make you break out all over like you never have before. Seriously! And not just those little whiteheads or anything...those big nasty cystic bumps that bury themselves under your skin for weeks! My mother and her friends at work all tried SlimFast before one summer, and while they all lost some weight, they all were covered in the gross bumps. Finally, my mom asked her dermatologist and he responded that there are super high levels of iodine in Slim Fast (another weight loss ploy) and that's why it has such horrible effects on your skin. Even people who don't usually break out normally experience this on Slim Fast. Just a heads up!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I never did it for weight loss, but I used to keep the shakes on hand for quick breakfasts when I was in a rush. The coffee flavored one was pretty good. That was many, many years ago, though.

I wouldn't recommend them as a weight loss plan, though. Because sensible eating, exercise, etc, etc.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    slim fast is what you want it to be in that I mean it will work sometimes the taste is not as good but if you follow the plan it can work even if you have a day of cheating as a diet would be boring and not worth keeping to it so I would mix it up with other things like fruit or there bars but there are other products out there that do the same so keep an open mind
  • BAR51
    BAR51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LIfestyle change is where it is at. You can't drink those shakes from now on. Try to change up your food rather than omit it.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    My first month on MFP (April) I used the chocolate shakes for breakfast and also for a snack once in a while. I didn't do the full plan. Eventually I dropped them entirely (too much sugar), but they helped me in the beginning while I was trying to taper off and then cut sugar out of my diet. I have a major sugar addiction and do much better when I don't eat it all. I think they're fine for traveling or short term use.