Does it matter how you use your calories?

Options
I'm not in any way suggesting that this is a good idea as I'm all for natural, unprocessed foods. But if you wanted processed/sugary foods; sweets, chocolate, cakes, etc, could you in theory eat just these, whilst keeping within your daily calorie allowance, and still lose weight?

Replies

• mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm not in any way suggesting that this is a good idea as I'm all for natural, unprocessed foods. But if you wanted processed/sugary foods; sweets, chocolate, cakes, etc, could you in theory eat just these, whilst keeping within your daily calorie allowance, and still lose weight?
    yes you could still lose weight its not the healthiest route to take though.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss and exercise for fitness.

A person can still be healthy while having some of those items. Moderation.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.

If your goal is simple scale weight loss, then yes... most people can use their cals however they want and still see results (at least short term). Once your goals get beyond simple weight loss, how you use your calories becomes more important.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    yes BUT.

Sugary sweets are likely to make you feel more hungry.
    Lack of fiber will make you constipated.
    Long term, vitamin deficiencies will develop.
    Sugar spikes will affect you moods.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss and exercise for fitness.

A person can still be healthy while having some of those items. Moderation.

Beat me to it :noway:
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    I don't think you can lose the weight. Think about it all that sugar turns into fat and then in turn stores itself into your body. You will then be tired to workout, because you are not feeding your body the vitamins and nutrients it needs, hence gaining weight.
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter what you eat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah in theory it would allow you to lose weight. However, you probably won't like the end result when you get to your goal.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight, yes. The most important part of losing weight is keeping within your calorie goal. The most important part of being healthy is meeting all of your macronutrient and micronutrient goals.

That being said, if you meet (or are close to meeting) all of your macros and micros and still have some calories left, feel free to shove that amount of calories of chocolate into your face. Nothing bad will happen. Unless you're allergic to chocolate.
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    eat cheesecake, has carbs, fat and protein.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yeah in theory it would allow you to lose weight. However, you probably won't like the end result when you get to your goal.

^^ what she said. Google the 'twinkie diet'. It's been done in the past.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can lose the weight. Think about it all that sugar turns into fat and then in turn stores itself into your body. You will then be tired to workout, because you are not feeding your body the vitamins and nutrients it needs, hence gaining weight.

No, that's not how it works

Calories in vs calories out, it's as simple as that actually.
  • XxCaz89xX
    Options
    Personally I think it does matter ..... That's like saying I could then eat 1200 calories worth of Mcdonalds everyday say a big mac meal and still lose weight then? No...
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've had occasional fast food burgers, Reeses Pieces, and donuts throughout my journey. They all fit into my lifestyle, and I am happy having them there. Moderation is the key.

42 pounds down this year.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nutrients matter, not labels like "clean" or "processed."

Focus your diet around getting the nutrients your body needs. Get your protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. When you get them doesn't matter. How you get them doesn't matter.

I eat ice cream every night. The other night I took two Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and covered them in ice cream and the entire canister of frosting. I had already met my nutrient goals for the day, so I splurged on something delicious with my leftover calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it does matter ..... That's like saying I could then eat 1200 calories worth of Mcdonalds everyday say a big mac meal and still lose weight then? No...

You could, absolutely. Your diet would be lacking in fiber and vitamins and minerals, but you would definitely lose weight.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. However, it would be hard because you'd be eating a lot less food for those calories, so would probably be very hungry i.e. one Big Mac meal and you're pretty much done for the day, so you wouldn't be able to eat much (if anything) for breakfast or lunch if that was your planned dinner.
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    this changed my life..I have tried all the different ratios and combinations..I once ate a pint of ice cream and loads of pizza everyday for nearly 3 months and lost 30 pounds...but its the QUALITY of the calories that affect the quality of your body inside and out...so now i still eat ice cream and pizza but I eat loads of fruits veggies and greens rice potatoes pasta etc. and the quality of my ENERGY and physique has skyrocketed...eat have fun FOOD is glorious...but dont ever get caught up at just looking at the scale:)
    ELVIS
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yes BUT.

Sugary sweets are likely to make you feel more hungry.
    Lack of fiber will make you constipated.
    Long term, vitamin deficiencies will develop.
    Sugar spikes will affect you moods.

^^ Good point! - This
  • MichelleLibberton
    Options
    Thanks everyone, pretty much what I expected. But I'm definitely not going to test the theory :)