Need advice on how to maximize booty gains

Hey, everyone!

I'm brand new to bulking and need some advice. I'm 5'4, 112 pounds and 23.69% body fat. I'm pretty happy with my body overall except I want a bigger butt! (Some more fat on my chest would be nice too so it doesn't look so bony, but that's not my main concern).

Anyways, after doing some research into bulking/tracking macros, I got excited about the possibility of having a nice booty for summer and getting to eat more. Yay food! But I didn't really consider the fact that I would be gaining fat as well. Boo fat! I was blinded by the booty goals, I guess.

So I'm 3 weeks into bulking and I've gained 1 pound and a half, which appears to be muscle. I've noticed a bit of change in my butt and physique overall. I actually feel I look leaner but I think that has more to do with the fact that I'm eating cleaner and started a more rigorous workout routine, which includes butt and legs twice a week. I know it's still really early into my bulk, but I'm worried that if I continue bulking right now, I'll lose my abs for summer and start to look chubby.

So my question is, should I hold off on bulking until fall? Or should I just eat a surplus on leg/butt days and stay at maintenance for the other days to help target muscle in the butt. Does that even work?

Does anyone have experience with bulking in the name of the booty or bulking in the summer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It depends what you want to do and how important some gain or being leaner is to you. You can maintain until the fall, do a bit of recomp .. so you may gain some muscle and keep your abs. Then wait until the fall to bulk. Or you can continue your bulk and keep the surplus small (1lb per month or so). If you do things the right way, slow and steady, following adequate programming... your bodyfat% should stay minimal (at least until you hit the 10lb mark) but you may feel bloated from the extra water and food, which can affect how you look and feel.

And no eating at a surplus only on certain days won't work out to target specific muscles, muscle building happens slowly over time... not in one or two days. If you eat in a surplus two days a week and maintenance the rest, depending on your overall intake, that would likely amount to a very small surplus which could work out if you prefer to do it that way.

I have bulked 3x, booty focused each time, but in the fall/winter.. which I found worked best for me and was easier to deal with the gain. I found the most success with longer bulks.. they can get uncomfortable but once you get used to it the rewards are incredible.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited May 2018
    Agree with the above. FWIW I've gained almost 14 lbs in the last 7 months and maintained my leanness. It can be done.

ETA I started with sub 20% body fat, though.
  • sardelsa
    You definitely don't have to wait.. but it's like the saying you can't have your cake and eat it too.. or something like that haha. Basically you will lose some definition.. but if your desire for glutes is greater than your desire for leanness, then go for it

Just make sure you are following proper programming.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    SugarWits wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice @sardelsa . Can I ask what your calories were and surplus each time you bulked? Did you find you got bulky all over? How long did you cut for?

I'm afraid of getting too bulky all over. I'd ideally like to look lean but toned with a nice round bum. Is that too much to ask for?! ;)

a bulk for women doenst mean bulky as we dont have the testosterone to get bulky.
  • sardelsa
    Thanks for the advice @sardelsa . Can I ask what your calories were and surplus each time you bulked? Did you find you got bulky all over? How long did you cut for?

I'm afraid of getting too bulky all over. I'd ideally like to look lean but toned with a nice round bum. Is that too much to ask for?! ;)

a bulk for women doenst mean bulky as we dont have the testosterone to get bulky.

However with enough bulk cycles, as well as fat sitting on top of muscle, it can lead to a larger appearance, and can be considered bulky to some people.. although this can take years and years and specific programming.
  • sardelsa

I would say around 3000+ for my stats. I only tracked my first bulk. Each bulk I gained around 1.5-2lbs per month.
    My cuts were dependent on how much gained and how long I bulked. I would say on average my cuts were around half the length of my bulks.

I did not get overly muscular, only in the legs/glutes.. however at the end of each bulk because of the fat plus muscle, I did have a more thick appearance (which could be considered bulky) but overall no I do not consider myself bulky despite running 3 bulk cycles. However, I am very specific with my goals and programming, I typically follow programs designed by Bret Contreras/Kellie Davis.. either Strong Curves or Get Glutes.
  • SugarWits
    SugarWits Posts: 8 Member
    @Davidsdottir how much is your surplus right now? Is it better to get to at least 20% BF before bulking? I've read mixed things about that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    sardelsa wrote: »

However with enough bulk cycles, as well as fat sitting on top of muscle, it can lead to a larger appearance, and can be considered bulky to some people.. although this can take years and years and specific programming.

oh yeah I know that. some women think they will look like a man if they get bulky or like some of the women body builders who clearly "juice" and look like men
  • sardelsa

oh yeah I know that. some women think they will look like a man if they get bulky or like some of the women body builders who clearly "juice" and look like men

Haha yea.. I mean it's not impossible to gain muscle and look large.. if that is your goal, but if your goal is to not look that way, it is pretty straightforward
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Haha yea.. I mean it's not impossible to gain muscle and look large.. if that is your goal, but if your goal is to not look that way, it is pretty straightforward

yeah my sister though when I told her I started lifting weights she was like " I wouldnt want to look like a man with all those muscles" I just laughed at her and told her it didnt work that way without "juice"(we'll call it that). and once she saw the difference in how I looked,she was shocked. she thought Id be some big muscular thing walking down the road lol.
  • SugarWits
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Bulky as in muscle growth all over or a little bit fat you will gain through doing a lean bulk?

A controlled and slow bulk will keep fat gains at a minimum, the leaner you are when you start the bulk the better outcome you have. You can always go the recomp approach, which is slower, you continue to work on fat loss and build muscle but this does not maximize as in the question you are asking.

Lean bulking takes many cycles to do. This is why I bulk in late fall and through winter. I can do my thing in the gym and eat to build muscle and cut slow in spring and part of summer, rinse and repeat the cycles. You have to decide if your abs and looking defined (*toned*) are more important for the summer or if your booty gains are.

I have bulked around 19.5% and 22%. All of my bulks are 250 over maintenance, the amount of calories required for your bulk will be based on your personal stats (what intake you currently maintain on +250 on top of that). I think depending on your body structure and how you carry fat will determine your amount of ideal leanness to begin a bulk, if you profile pic is recent you look fairly lean in your picture. Bulking will require a mental shift to accept some fat gain, once you get over this hump you will have tackled half the battle.

I think my biggest obstacle to being successful in this is definitely the mental aspect and accepting some body fat in the name of a bigger booty. I'll have to work on that. Im just used to being slender. Even through both of my pregnancies, I was still pretty lean. Just going to have to suck it up. But I will probably wait until the fall and enjoy being in a bikini this summer. I was still shedding baby weight this time last year so I might as well enjoy some time with my abs while I can. Thanks for the advice.
  • SugarWits

I would say around 3000+ for my stats. I only tracked my first bulk. Each bulk I gained around 1.5-2lbs per month.
    My cuts were dependent on how much gained and how long I bulked. I would say on average my cuts were around half the length of my bulks.

I did not get overly muscular, only in the legs/glutes.. however at the end of each bulk because of the fat plus muscle, I did have a more thick appearance (which could be considered bulky) but overall no I do not consider myself bulky despite running 3 bulk cycles. However, I am very specific with my goals and programming, I typically follow programs designed by Bret Contreras/Kellie Davis.. either Strong Curves or Get Glutes.

I guess when I say bulky, I mean chubby. I'm afraid of looking chubby while bulking. But it's just a mental shift I'm going to have to make to reach my fitness goals. This is a whole new world to me. But I'm excited to get started again and see some major results.
  • SugarWits
    Does anyone have a picture of what they looked like while bulking compared to after cutting. Im curious to see the difference.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Bulky as in muscle growth all over or a little bit fat you will gain through doing a lean bulk?

A controlled and slow bulk will keep fat gains at a minimum, the leaner you are when you start the bulk the better outcome you have. You can always go the recomp approach, which is slower, you continue to work on fat loss and build muscle but this does not maximize as in the question you are asking.

Lean bulking takes many cycles to do. This is why I bulk in late fall and through winter. I can do my thing in the gym and eat to build muscle and cut slow in spring and part of summer, rinse and repeat the cycles. You have to decide if your abs and looking defined (*toned*) are more important for the summer or if your booty gains are.

I have bulked around 19.5% and 22%. All of my bulks are 250 over maintenance, the amount of calories required for your bulk will be based on your personal stats (what intake you currently maintain on +250 on top of that). I think depending on your body structure and how you carry fat will determine your amount of ideal leanness to begin a bulk, if you profile pic is recent you look fairly lean in your picture. Bulking will require a mental shift to accept some fat gain, once you get over this hump you will have tackled half the battle.

I think my biggest obstacle to being successful in this is definitely the mental aspect and accepting some body fat in the name of a bigger booty. I'll have to work on that. Im just used to being slender. Even through both of my pregnancies, I was still pretty lean. Just going to have to suck it up. But I will probably wait until the fall and enjoy being in a bikini this summer. I was still shedding baby weight this time last year so I might as well enjoy some time with my abs while I can. Thanks for the advice.

Fall and winter we can throw on baggier clothes if we need to. Determine how long you want to bulk or how long the program you plan to run is for. @ .5 pound per week that will be gaining 2 pounds per month.

If your programming is good, protein intake is adequate, keep your calories in check and trust the process I think you will be pleased with the results. Good luck.