2»

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    SugarWits wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice @sardelsa . Can I ask what your calories were and surplus each time you bulked? Did you find you got bulky all over? How long did you cut for?

I'm afraid of getting too bulky all over. I'd ideally like to look lean but toned with a nice round bum. Is that too much to ask for?! ;)

Bulky as in muscle growth all over or a little bit fat you will gain through doing a lean bulk?

A controlled and slow bulk will keep fat gains at a minimum, the leaner you are when you start the bulk the better outcome you have. You can always go the recomp approach, which is slower, you continue to work on fat loss and build muscle but this does not maximize as in the question you are asking.

Lean bulking takes many cycles to do. This is why I bulk in late fall and through winter. I can do my thing in the gym and eat to build muscle and cut slow in spring and part of summer, rinse and repeat the cycles. You have to decide if your abs and looking defined (*toned*) are more important for the summer or if your booty gains are.

I have bulked around 19.5% and 22%. All of my bulks are 250 over maintenance, the amount of calories required for your bulk will be based on your personal stats (what intake you currently maintain on +250 on top of that). I think depending on your body structure and how you carry fat will determine your amount of ideal leanness to begin a bulk, if you profile pic is recent you look fairly lean in your picture. Bulking will require a mental shift to accept some fat gain, once you get over this hump you will have tackled half the battle.

I think my biggest obstacle to being successful in this is definitely the mental aspect and accepting some body fat in the name of a bigger booty. I'll have to work on that. Im just used to being slender. Even through both of my pregnancies, I was still pretty lean. Just going to have to suck it up. But I will probably wait until the fall and enjoy being in a bikini this summer. I was still shedding baby weight this time last year so I might as well enjoy some time with my abs while I can. Thanks for the advice.

As of right now I plan on running my first bulk in the fall as well. I'm just maintaining through bikini season.
  • SugarWits
    SugarWits Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Does anyone have a picture of what they looked like while bulking compared to after cutting. Im curious to see the difference.

Here are some photos of myself... left photo is after my second bulk (May 2017), middle photo is after cutting (Sept 2017) and right is after my latest bulk (April 2018).
    fn0fdr4ipk6w.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing. You look great in all the pics, TBH. I'm sure the fat gains are probably more noticable to ourselves then anybody else. Did you notice a big difference in your butt after your bulk. Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to soak in as much info as possible. It's nice to chat with ladies who've been there done that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a picture of what they looked like while bulking compared to after cutting. Im curious to see the difference.

Here are some photos of myself... left photo is after my second bulk (May 2017), middle photo is after cutting (Sept 2017) and right is after my latest bulk (April 2018).
    fn0fdr4ipk6w.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing. You look great in all the pics, TBH. I'm sure the fat gains are probably more noticable to ourselves then anybody else. Did you notice a big difference in your butt after your bulk. Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to soak in as much info as possible. It's nice to chat with ladies who've been there done that.

Thanks! Yea the thing is once you build more muscle it becomes easier, and fat gain isn't as noticeable, at least for me.

Since I focused most of my attention on the glutes, yes, that is where most of my gain weight. It took time to see results though, after the second bulk is when I really saw my physique come together.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Okay, someone STILL clearly does not understand the woo button!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I just think that people are stupid sometimes. Oh, well.
  • bmakenzie
    bmakenzie Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I did not get overly muscular, only in the legs/glutes.. however at the end of each bulk because of the fat plus muscle, I did have a more thick appearance (which could be considered bulky) but overall no I do not consider myself bulky despite running 3 bulk cycles. However, I am very specific with my goals and programming, I typically follow programs designed by Bret Contreras/Kellie Davis.. either Strong Curves or Get Glutes.

@sardelsa any recommendations or insights into using Strong Curves vs. Get Glutes? I'm a beginner following starting strength for another 3 weeks, then taking a break from strength programming for July and August (moving across the country and getting settled into a new job/community) But would like to start a glute-focused program in the fall.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @bmakenzie if you haven't run Strong Curves before I would definitely start with that. The programs can be found free online but I do highly recommend the book as it contains tons of valuable information as well as photo demos of the exercises and substitutions.

Get Glutes is great, especially if you enjoyed SC and want to move on and continue similar programming, however it is a monthly subscription program so a little bit more investment there.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If you are genetically predisposed to storing fat on your butt, well then your lucky and will get booty gains easily. If not, incorporating exercises that build your glute muscles will help.
  • bmakenzie
    bmakenzie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @bmakenzie if you haven't run Strong Curves before I would definitely start with that. The programs can be found free online but I do highly recommend the book as it contains tons of valuable information as well as photo demos of the exercises and substitutions.

Get Glutes is great, especially if you enjoyed SC and want to move on and continue similar programming, however it is a monthly subscription program so a little bit more investment there.

@sardelsa Thank you! I will opt for the book and give it a go
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Okay, someone STILL clearly does not understand the woo button!

At this point if I don't get woo'd I know I am doing something wrong.. :p

I just woo'd you! :-)