Having trouble maintaining....

Right now it seems like my body only wants to lose weight. Ive gone from 206lbs down to 116lbs. I go to the gym 4x a week, and do about 25 min of jogging. I dont work out anymore for weight loss. Now I do it for my major anxiety issues. Its one of the few things that actually helps me control it. Problem is, i dont eat when im not hungry and i dont get hungry a lot anymore. I try to stay around 1500 - 1600 cals a day, but most of the time still come in under 1200. I would like to be right between 118 - 121 on average, so not only do i need to gain a couple back, i need to keep them on without gaining much more. Anyone ever dealt with this that can offer me more than "stop working out so much" (can't because of my anxiety) or "just eat more". If it were truly that easy, i wouldnt be looking for advice on here.

Replies

• nellers33
    nellers33 Posts: 3 Member
    Have you tried adding a protein shake? I've been like the Orgain plant based one (with extra cocoa, banana and almond milk). I'm having a hard time getting the protein I need without extra calories, but in your situation the extra Cal's aren't an issue.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You need to eat some more. Try eating nuts /peanut butter to boost your calorie intake. You know you need to eat more or you will keep losing.
    If you enjoy working out that's fine, but you need to eat more because you are working out so much. To maintain its all about a balance of calories in and out.
  • Carry_That_Weight
    Carry_That_Weight Posts: 27 Member
    I second the protein shakes, I find liquid calories don't fill me up for long at all.

One of my favorites involves hemp protein (whey just doesn't taste the same in this recipe), half an avocado, some cocoa powder, coconut milk, and a little sweetener to suit your taste. Gives you great protein, fiber, fats, antioxidants, and satisfies any chocolate cravings. Works not only for shakes ... the day I started mixing avocado and cocoa into baked goods them was like my second birth.

Anyway, if you don't fancy that, there are tons of shake recipes online. Try raising your calories slowly. Make sure you get 1200 every day for a week. The next week, try 1300. The third week, 1400. Do this until you get to your maintenance level/slightly above, and your body has had some time to readjust to the extra intake. I'm sure the reduced calories took some trial and error and getting used to also, no reason to expect yourself to jump into maintenance with no issues.

Also, you say you want to gain a few pounds -- consider adding in some strength training with your jogging. I found it to be enormously beneficial to my mental health, and you're at an ideal place to add a few pounds of muscle and all the health benefits that come with it. I would do this once you're at a comfortable calorie intake most days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited May 2018
    I've been maintaining several decades, and I STILL suck at transitioning to higher calories after a cut. Like JaydedMiss said, it is a mind *kitten*. What seems to help me is adding calories in small steps (e.g. bump it up 100 cal for a week then 100 more the next week, etc.) vs. one big step of several hundred calories. I can screw that up too, going too low one day then going way over the next, but I seem to be able to wrap my head around the idea of small increases better. 30g of a decent 77% chocolate (1/3 bar, which is a label serving) is 180 calories. So my solution generally is just adding chocolate.

ETA: I forgot so give you props on your weight loss. You definitely have the chops to figure this one out.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    I think your appetite will return. It will for some people when they get back into caloric balance. Sometimes with a vengeance! Look up what an anorexic goes through when they start eating again. I hope it does not for you, but it did for me. Best of luck. I second the higher calorically dense food. Not hard to find it in the USA these days. Just venture to the inside isles at the grocery stores.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Have you spoken to your primary care provider about the anxiety and considered any meds? When you find one that works, it's a Godsend. It can take some experimenting, but is worth it. I can't even count how many people I know who take Lexapro or Paxil or Prozac for anxiety, and it works like a charm for all. If your appetite continues to lag, and anxiety continues to be a problem (even with the running), consider the medical route. Good luck.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Right now it seems like my body only wants to lose weight. Ive gone from 206lbs down to 116lbs. I go to the gym 4x a week, and do about 25 min of jogging. I dont work out anymore for weight loss. Now I do it for my major anxiety issues. Its one of the few things that actually helps me control it. Problem is, i dont eat when im not hungry and i dont get hungry a lot anymore. I try to stay around 1500 - 1600 cals a day, but most of the time still come in under 1200. I would like to be right between 118 - 121 on average, so not only do i need to gain a couple back, i need to keep them on without gaining much more. Anyone ever dealt with this that can offer me more than "stop working out so much" (can't because of my anxiety) or "just eat more". If it were truly that easy, i wouldnt be looking for advice on here.

More calorie dense foods like avocado, peanut butter , full fat dairy, nuts and seeds. Lots of calories but not too much volumn

Bingo. Just start adding more things like above to the stuff you are already eating and you'll up your calories. Add avocado slices to a sandwich or salad. Use the full fat versions of mayo, salad dressings, etc. Add a snack here or there.

I moved to maintenance a while ago and yesterday was under my goal by about 300 calories. I really don't want to lose more so I made a quick protein shake and added 200 calories in a few minutes.

I look at exercise as how I reach my fitness goals and eating is how I fuel my body and maintain my weight goals. You don't need to change your workouts but be mindful about fueling them to a certain degree.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Raisins are one of my night time go tos if I need to get the count up, but I really like raisins. They are sugar disguised as fruit. Chocolate covered raisins will really get it up there. Also nuts.