dieting alone

Options
2»

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to diet alone. Less unsolicited opinions and "advice". Set your own personal goals and motivated solely by your own ideas.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I really understand where you are coming from pippywillow! Without someone there you feel like no one is watching you, so maybe you sneak that extra portion size, or don't log that afternoon snack. Who will call you on it right?

Possible suggestion is to give yourself a non-food reward. When I first started trying to lose weight, the dedication to fitting into my wedding dress or being a fitter person wasn't there. So I bribed myself. I love video games, and I made myself a responsibility list (like a kid's chore list) and gave myself a check mark if I did the activity in full. The reward for having no "X" marks or blank spots? Gave myself an allowance to be spent on new games, and would NOT allow myself to spend any other money on games.

Was I still tempted to cheat? Yes. But now if I cheated I wasn't only harming my well-being, I was lying to myself in a way I found unacceptable. Maybe this will work for you, if you have a reward that you can think of that will keep you honest =)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely on team alone.

Nobody else bringing food in, nobody distracting, nobody telling me I'm messing up their Saturday with my early morning run. etc.

My partner complained one weekend that he woke up and I wasn't there and how it made him sad he couldn't have a hug...... Dude it's 2pm I've been up 6 hours
  • carlyraeho11as
    carlyraeho11as Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Think of the alone time as an advantage! It's easier (for me) to keep only healthy foods in the fridge and schedule workouts if I have the place to myself. You will feel great next time you see him and the happiness will be radiating from you! Plus, when we look at ourselves every day it's harder to notice gradual changes. He won't see you for a while and then when he does he will be so proud to see all the hard work you've put in!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I keep myself accountable by focusing on the behaviors that lead to weight loss. If I say things like, "I need to lose some weight" I get lost. You can't lose weight like you can car keys.

Weight loss is an outcome.

Focus on the habits and behaviors that will take you where you want to go. If there is a food that's your kryptonite get rid of it. Exercise if you enjoy it. Plan your meals. Track your calories. If you have a moment of temptation ask if that's what you really want - will it take you nearer to your goal?

This is what works for me.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP, but if I were in a long distance relationship, I'd look like a kitten fitness model by now! As much as I love my SO, nothing hinders me more than him coming over after work. That means no workout and a big dinner. It is much easier when I get to plan my own meals and activities.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight successfully in the past, four years ago I lost 70 lbs and have kept most of it off, but it is creeping back on. I did pretty well when I was still with my ex-husband, but now I'm living alone and having a hard time staying motivated.

How do you hold yourself accountable?

I am in a long distance relationship, but he's already in great shape, he eats well and exercises, and doesn't struggle with it like I do, so he doesn't completely understand what I'm dealing with.

That's why it's helpful to have a community like MFP!

Sure it would be great if my husband was a part time nutritionist who enjoys yoga and Zumba in his spare time, but he's not. And I really don't want to bore my friends and family with reports on my weight, if I did my workout, or reached a milestone. Also, there's a lot of collective knowledge and so on that goes beyond my own little social circle. I can reach an appropriate audience here with those sorts of things.

Sure, it's ideal if you have an accountability person in real life. But this is the real world where that isn't always the case. And it's OK.