Natural Sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Was there a specific reason your Dr suggested cutting sugar and carbs? (Diabetic or weight loss?)

The reason I ask is that if it's weight loss related you may be better served seeing a Registered Dietician than your family dr. Doctors spend about 15 minutes on nutrition during their studies (unless the go after it as a specialty) and frequently are influenced by the popular media much the same way that lay people are....
    [/quote]

For weight loss because I have so much weight to lose. His speaking to me about it was very brief but he eluded to the fact that sugar turns into fat and I need to watch my sugar intake. Seeing a Registered Dietician may be the way to go but I was hoping I could try this on my own.
    [/quote]

everything turns to fat if you overeat! use the MFP counting system to log your food and it will work out for you
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Was there a specific reason your Dr suggested cutting sugar and carbs? (Diabetic or weight loss?)

The reason I ask is that if it's weight loss related you may be better served seeing a Registered Dietician than your family dr. Doctors spend about 15 minutes on nutrition during their studies (unless the go after it as a specialty) and frequently are influenced by the popular media much the same way that lay people are....

For weight loss because I have so much weight to lose. His speaking to me about it was very brief but he eluded to the fact that sugar turns into fat and I need to watch my sugar intake. Seeing a Registered Dietician may be the way to go but I was hoping I could try this on my own.
    [/quote]

I think you misunderstood him or at least i hope so...
    [/quote]

Sugar does turn to fat because when too much sugar is in the system it is stored in fat for "later use". The fat stores build up over time and watching your sugar intake is a good way to make sure that more fat doesn't build up. This is a simplistic overview of sugar processed in the body: http://www.livestrong.com/article/417989-does-natural-sugar-turn-into-fat/