Sweet Potato Brownies

Options
Anyone ever try using the recipe where you mix two cups of sweet potato puree and a brownie mix together? I want to try making it, but only if it's actually good.

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    Options
    ive tried pumpkin and brownie mix.
    dont use the fudge mix.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it with sweet pertaters....

But, have tried 1 box of cake mix and one can of pumpkin puree and that turned out better than expected. Cooks best in a bundt pan.

But nothing beats the real thing and just saving the calories for it (see diary for details)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I use brownie mix..
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I use brownie mix..

agreed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I NOT TRIED IT WIT SWEET PERTATERS....

But, have tried 1 box of cake mix and one can of pumpkin puree and that turned out better than expected. Cooks best in a bundt pan.

But nothing beats the real thing and just saving the calories for it (see diary for details)

FIFY.

Also, it sounds delicious. *gag*
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    But.. why?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I use brownie mix..

agreed.

And I'm pretty sure that there's no mention of sweet potatoes on the box . . .

There's nothing like wasting calories on something that "just doesn't do it for you." Eat a real brownie, OP.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

FIFY.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how this would buy you anything. I'm so over people trying to ruin food by adding random shiz in to it to make it 'healthier'. I think it's counterproductive because it tricks you in to thinking it's a health food when it's not and you'll end up eating more than if you had a single regular brownie. YMMV.

Get off my lawn.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how this would buy you anything. I'm so over people trying to ruin food by adding random shiz in to it to make it 'healthier'. I think it's counterproductive because it tricks you in to thinking it's a health food when it's not and you'll end up eating more than if you had a single regular brownie. YMMV.

Get off my lawn.

That's what you get for cleaning it.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. These however are very delicious scratch made Yam brownies (the "Yams" in US supermarkets and that are referred to in the recipe are actually sweet potatoes): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/golden-yam-brownies/

They don't offer any nutrition benefits over chocolate brownies IMO, but they do taste really good.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Last fall I made these cookie type things using a box of chocolate cake mix, a can of pumpkin puree, and dark chocolate chips. They were so fluffy and gooey, I am definitely making them again this fall! Now if you're looking for healthy desserts try fruit instead, but these are great for a special treat!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was trying to go vegan making sweet potato brownies from scratch. They were...okay. I say stick with regular old brownies and eat less of it--unless you ARE vegan, in which case I'm sure they'll be fine.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

FIFY.

I :heart: you!!

BFQBW.gif
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    I won't eat this stuff cause the box of cake mix still says like 250 calories for 1/10th of the box just for the mix lol.. im sure brownies are no different.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

Get off my lawn.

Not really "over it" if you have to spout your opinion on someone else's thread and not even have anything to offer... :huh:

OP: I have tried the canned pumpkin and brownie mix and it isn't all that bad. Swapping out eggs, oil, etc. for veggies can't really be a bad thing. Try it. Like it? Great! Don't? Ok too:flowerforyou:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

FIFY.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the redneckognition.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    1 box of spice cake mix, plus one 15oz can of pumpkin puree makes for a delicious super-moist cake...It's a hot seller around here in the fall, especially with cream cheese icing. But i digress.

I don't think substituting out ingredients for healthier alternatives are altogether a bad thing. I'm sure everyone has used applesauce instead of oil in baking at one time or another, for example. Provided you use common sense and take into account that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, why not sneak in a few nutrients with your occaisional treat?

THat said, I put vegetable purees into a lot of things...cauliflower in mac n cheese, zucchini and beets into marinara, spinach or black beans in brownies, chickpeas in chocolate chip cookies, protein powder wherever I can...As long as the final product falls within acceptable ranges for taste and texture, I like the idea.

I'd try sweet potatoes in brownies!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Get off my lawn.

Not really "over it" if you have to spout your opinion on someone else's thread and not even have anything to offer... :huh:

OP: I have tried the canned pumpkin and brownie mix and it isn't all that bad. Swapping out eggs, oil, etc. for veggies can't really be a bad thing. Try it. Like it? Great! Don't? Ok too:flowerforyou:

Are you saying to use veggies in your brownies?