Sweet Potato Brownies

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how this would buy you anything. I'm so over people trying to ruin food by adding random shiz in to it to make it 'healthier'. I think it's counterproductive because it tricks you in to thinking it's a health food when it's not and you'll end up eating more than if you had a single regular brownie. YMMV.

Get off my lawn.

Not really "over it" if you have to spout your opinion on someone else's thread and not even have anything to offer... :huh:

OP: I have tried the canned pumpkin and brownie mix and it isn't all that bad. Swapping out eggs, oil, etc. for veggies can't really be a bad thing. Try it. Like it? Great! Don't? Ok too:flowerforyou:

Are you saying to use veggies in your brownies?

Is this like when you get the tv dinners with brownies and corn and most of the time the corn gets baked into the brownie?
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1 box of spice cake mix, plus one 15oz can of pumpkin puree makes for a delicious super-moist cake...It's a hot seller around here in the fall, especially with cream cheese icing. But i digress.

I'd try sweet potatoes in brownies!

I have made the spice cake and pumpkin puree, adding nutmeg and cinnamon and it make a really a great muffing. :heart:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I NOT TRIED IT WIT SWEET PERTATERS....

But, have tried 1 box of cake mix and one can of pumpkin puree and that turned out better than expected. Cooks best in a bundt pan.

But nothing beats the real thing and just saving the calories for it (see diary for details)

FIFY.

Also, it sounds delicious. *gag*
    It's sweat pertaterz.

Or not.

Jux do wut werx 4 u.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I indulge in real treats all the time. I like trying out different ways to make things a bit healthier and bump up the nutrients. Relax.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I indulge in real treats all the time. I like trying out different ways to make things a bit healthier and bump up the nutrients. Relax.
    I use the books like The Sneaky Chef or Deceptively Delicious for my kids and myself...nothing wrong with adding healthy things to traditionally non-healthy treats.
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like a box of cake mix and a can of pure pumpkin puree. It turns the cake mix into the texture of a brownie.

I am going to try the spice cake mix, that sounds yummy!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In the fall I do the 15oz can of pumpkin + yellow cake mix + bit of vanilla and pumpkin pie spice all the time. I don't do it because it's "healthier" (it's not, by much - a bit less fat and a bit more fiber and that's it), I do it because it's frigging tasty. I do it as muffins with a brown butter glaze. Mmmmmmm...... Never tried it (or sweet potatoes) with brownie mix, though. For some reason, pumpkin + chocolate doesn't do it for me, and I think sweet potatoes would be the same way.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like a box of cake mix and a can of pure pumpkin puree. It turns the cake mix into the texture of a brownie.

I am going to try the spice cake mix, that sounds yummy!
    I like this too, I usually make it into muffins which are conveniently single serving! I've tried it with spice cake mix and chocolate cake mix (my hubby's favorite) but my personal favorite is with lemon cake mix! I know it sounds weird but it makes an amazing muffin! I might make some later today!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    .......Swapping out eggs, oil, etc. for veggies can't really be a bad thing. ......

are you certain it can't be a bad thing? can we ask what the crowd thinks?

"Crowd, is swapping out eggs and oil for veggies a bad thing?"

acDluir.gif
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower.

lol
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    .......Swapping out eggs, oil, etc. for veggies can't really be a bad thing. ......

acDluir.gif

It seems the people have spoken...
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I like brownies, sweet potato pie, and pumpkin pie.

That is all.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower.

Dirt.

It's organic and low cals.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I tried pumpkin brownie once. I was sorely disappointed disappointed with them. I ate one then tossed them out because ick.

If you must substitute try Greek yogurt instead of oil and substitute eggs/egg whites in place of eggs. Or just make smaller portions.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

acDluir.gif

You asked a Canadian crowd. I don't think that can be used as a general concensus.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    IMO, if you are looking for healthier brownie options, you shouldnt use the box stuff at all. make them from scratch. you will get much better macros if you just skip using the box and use your own ingredients. I have made homemade brownies with black beans, and homemade brownies with pumpkin puree both very tasty-- im thinking sweet potato would be just as good.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you are looking for healthier brownie options, you shouldnt use the box stuff at all. make them from scratch. you will get much better macros if you just skip using the box and use your own ingredients. I have made homemade brownies with black beans, and homemade brownies with pumpkin puree both very tasty-- im thinking sweet potato would be just as good.

What? You can make brownies without a box mix?
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • toothfairy2717
    Options
    Mmm spice cake and pumpkin sounds yummy!