DL vs squat

Options
Why is DL called a pulling exercise for lower body and squats are pushing ? I know there is a slight difference in using quads vs hams but the overall direction/type of leg movement seems almost the same.

Also, what’s the difference between glute bridge and hip thrust. I tried looking up pictures but still couldn’t discern difference except that hip thrust seemed to use some kind of rack or machine.
Thx!

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are both a push and a pull. The push comes from your legs pushing into the floor, and the pull comes from pulling the bar off the ground. The extent to which it is push vs pull depends on your leverages, and the deadlift variation.

For example:
    - a trap bar deadlift has your torso more vertical, and is much more of a push with your legs than a pull (in my limited trap bar experience you sort of just hold on).
    - a stiff legged deadlift has your torso more horizontal, and minimises leg drive. It's therefore much less of a push with your legs, and more of a pull.

If your leverages (shin length, femur length, torso length) are such that your deadlift leaves you with a more vertical / horizontal torso, then your deadlift may be more push / pull respectively.

From a programming perspective, maybe people call deadlifts a pull because they're heavy and they don't want to do them on the same day as squats? I don't know.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    They are completely different exercises. You are pulling weight off the floor in a deadlift. In a squat, you are pushing the weight up.

Because I’m probably stupid with body mechanics. In both exercises my knees are bent and I’m straightening my legs so the movements seem similar.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    They are completely different exercises. You are pulling weight off the floor in a deadlift. In a squat, you are pushing the weight up. Why is that hard to understand? Lol

Because I’m probably stupid with body mechanics. In both exercises my knees are bent and I’m straightening my legs so the movements seem similar.

They are similar and I think it's a fair question
  • lorrpb
    Options
    They are completely different exercises. You are pulling weight off the floor in a deadlift. In a squat, you are pushing the weight up. Why is that hard to understand? Lol

In a squat, your back should be straight, not bent over. In a deadlift, your back is bent over, and you straighten it up as you lift. So, you’re pulling. When you squat, back is straight, and you bend hips and knees, and push up.

Very different movements. Feel very different. And hit the muscle groups differently. I think both exercises hit every muscle in your body, or damn near.

I get the pulling with the arm/back but it’s listed as a lower body pull and I just didn’t get the pulling with the legs part.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options

In a squat, your back should be straight, not bent over. In a deadlift, your back is bent over, and you straighten it up as you lift. So, you’re pulling. When you squat, back is straight, and you bend hips and knees, and push up.

Very different movements. Feel very different. And hit the muscle groups differently. I think both exercises hit every muscle in your body, or damn near.

I get the pulling with the arm/back but it’s listed as a lower body pull and I just didn’t get the pulling with the legs part.

Because of the hip hinge motion, you end up pulling thru your hamstrings. Think of your hip like a pulley, as you pull the one end of the rope your hamstrings it pulls your back up like a pulley This is more pronounced with a stiff leg deadlift. With squats the knee bend is the active part of the lift. With deads the knee bend is not the critical part of the pull, you simply bend them so you can reach the bar. Once you do though, you focus on pulling from your hammies and knees just kinda go for the ride and really don't straighten until the top of the lift.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If your form is correct, you should feel the effort focused in your hamstrings contracting, pulling your upper body up.
    If you are not keeping your back straight, you might feel it more in your back and arms.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I do DB GOBLET squats and 60” barbell DL. I definitely contract my hamstrings, just never associated that with “pulling” my legs per se. Thx everyone.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @lorrpb Don't get too hung up about classifying exercises as push or pull it's not that important what's important is that you do these two excellent full body moves.

FWIW: Think about when you are at the bottom of both lifts. In the squat the weight is above you so you are pushing it up. In the DL the weight is below you so you are pulling it up.

They ARE very similar in some ways but in others the feel completely different. Squats I feel very much in my quads. DL in my glutes and hammies.

From ExRx.net these are the muscles both lift hit. (EDIT: These are both for BB I just notice you are doing goblet squats)

DL:

Target Muscles:

Gluteus Maximus

Synergists

Quadriceps
    Adductor Magnus
    Hamstrings (top half)
    Soleus

Dynamic Stabilizers

Hamstrings (bottom half)
    Gastrocnemius

Stabilizers

Erector Spinae
    Trapezius, Middle
    Trapezius, Upper
    Levator Scapulae
    Rhomboids

Antagonist Stabilizers

Rectus Abdominis
    Obliques

Squat:

Target Muscles

Quadriceps

Synergists

Gluteus Maximus
    Adductor Magnus
    Soleus

Dynamic Stabilizers

Hamstrings
    Gastrocnemius

Stabilizers

Erector Spinae

Antagonist Stabilizers

Rectus Abdominis
    Obliques
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The movements are distincly different, but classifying any movement as a "push" or a "pull" is largely just semantics. Muscles can only stretch and contract. You can't push with a rope.

Coloqually, "pulling" movements are more posterior chain or back focused (deadlifts, rows etc..) and "pushing" movements are more anterior chain focused (high bar/front squats, bench pressing etc...).

I believe that the distinction is drawn more to facilitate a training split rather than being grounded in anatomical/kinesthetic differences.

This is mostly just an FYI and my view on it. Train both regularly and increase the load/volume over time and you'll do just fine
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No reason to feel bad about asking. If you do regular barbell back squats, vs barbell dead lifts from the floor the moves really are completely different because of the way the weight is loaded onto your body. But I'm guessing you lift with dumbells which is not so obvious from the observer standpoint. Because with DB's you do have to lean your body forward with a squat similar to a dead lift, in order to sit your butt back on the imaginary chair and also keeping your knees from coming way too far forward which is no good. You can seriously hurt your knees if you let them go forward past your toes. So contrary to what someone else said with a squat you do lean forward some or else you will hurt your knees. Which makes them look similar, but with Deads you focus on pulling from the bent over position, and with Squats you focus on pushing up from the bottom of the knee bend.

Mostly good, but the bolded is nonsense. Keep your knees above your toes(imaginary train tracks) and it doesn't matter how far forward they do or don't go.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

No reason to feel bad about asking. If you do regular barbell back squats, vs barbell dead lifts from the floor the moves really are completely different because of the way the weight is loaded onto your body. But I'm guessing you lift with dumbells which is not so obvious from the observer standpoint. Because with DB's you do have to lean your body forward with a squat similar to a dead lift, in order to sit your butt back on the imaginary chair and also keeping your knees from coming way too far forward which is no good. You can seriously hurt your knees if you let them go forward past your toes. So contrary to what someone else said with a squat you do lean forward some or else you will hurt your knees. Which makes them look similar, but with Deads you focus on pulling from the bent over position, and with Squats you focus on pushing up from the bottom of the knee bend.

Mostly good, but the bolded is nonsense. Keep your knees above your toes(imaginary train tracks) and it doesn't matter how far forward they do or don't go.

Not with DB squats.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Not with DB squats.

Even with DB squats.

A squat is a squat. BW, DB, KB, Barbell.
  • mutantspicy
    edited May 2018
    Options

Not with DB squats.

Even with DB squats.

Every guide every guide every where says keep your knees behind or at your toes. There's a reason.
    http://www.stack.com/a/dumbbell-squat
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-squat
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    ????
  • stanmann571
    Options

Not with DB squats.

Even with DB squats.

Every guide every guide every where says keep your knees behind or at your toes. There's a reason.
    http://www.stack.com/a/dumbbell-squat
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/dumbbell-squat

There are literally thousands of articles addressing that myth.

From your source.

http://www.stack.com/a/squat-with-knees-past-toes