Couch to 5k starting 7/15

Options
I researched the program, and it looks like its gonna be a fun journey. After the program I plan on running a 5k. I downloaded the Iphone app on my touch and went out at lunch and bought the arm band for it. I am going to load my playlist tonight, and start tomorrow morning before work (will normally do it after work). Is there anyone who would be interested in joining me. I will be posting feed back often and would like others to do the same.

wish me luck =]

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what this is, can you explain more?
  • jrh5249
    jrh5249 Posts: 28
    Options
    Couch to 5 K is a program, on coolrunning.com that sets out how to learn to jog for 30 mins straight over 10 weeks I think it is,, it's very good, it's for absolute beginners to basically get fit quickly and learn how to jog.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate. Your going to love it. At first I was thinking that I was never going to be able to finish this. BUT, about a month into it I found my breath and now I go running every other day 3-4 miles. Good luck and don't give up!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    hhhmmm sounds intresting i'll have to check it out tonight after work/ and working out...
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    WTG for starting this!! I think you will rock it for sure!!! I'm staying in the other thread til I'm finished, but I'll keep up here every so often :)
  • Chani56
    Chani56 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started the program last Saturday. I'll be doing W1D3 tonight. So far it's been tough but I love it. I'll probably do week 1 again before moving to week 2. I'm not quite ready to run more than 60 second intervals yet, but I'm much closer than I was last week =D.

There are a lot of podcasts available online that coach you through. There are a few links at http://www.c25k.com/ Right now I'm using the week one podcast from http://runningintoshape.com/

I'm really impressed with C25K so far. I have NEVER enjoyed running, but I think I could get used to this.

Thanks for starting this thread. It will be nice to have someone to compare notes with.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm up to W3D2 today. Never in a million years did I think I could run (okay jog haha) 3 mins at a time. Even when I was fit in high school I was a sprinter and not a long distance runner. But I really enjoy this and take my dog with me while I'm doing it (unless it's raining, like today when I have to go on my awful treadmill), and she seems to enjoy it more than just walking too.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I was considering starting this tonight. I'm going to look into those podcasts, see if I can get one on my mp3 player, as my phone doesn't have apps and my main set-back was "How am I gonna track 60sec and 90sec without staring at a watch the whole time?!?"

So for now, go ahead and count me in!
  • Chani56
    Options
    Actually most of them download as mp3. I just converted them. My son has a Disney mix stick, which uses mp3 format, and I was able to put it on that so he could do it with me.

They are great! They prompt you at each change of pace...no stop watches.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This site is what I first started using:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

click on Mixes in the left menu, then the Red Podrunner Intervals icon in the middle of the screen. Then pick which version you want to do. He's got Couch to 5k, Gateway to 8k and Freeway to 10k
  • johnjely
    johnjely Posts: 99
    Options
    I was doing this, but just spent a week on my lazy bum. So count me in :) I'll definitely need to find some podcasts/tracks that you guys are talking about -- the stopwatch kills me!
  • jrh5249
    Options
    Completed W1D1 and i feel fantastic. I woke up stretched then did the program before eating anything.... which i won't do again. I came home, napped for ten minutes, hopped in the shower, ate and headed to work. I feel great. I did however run during the 60 second jogg intervals. So day 1 down. working till 4:30, going out on the jetskis tonight, and then to dollar imports for a xx or two. Feeling great, bring on workout two on saturday =]
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I went to do W1D1 yesterday evening, but by the end of the warm-up, my ankle was feeling irritated. Since it was in a compression brace all last week, I figured I'd let it rest. So it might take me an extra few days or even a week to work my way up to W1D1, but that's better than doing it now and then being in a brace again for another week or more. Also, I need new tennis shoes, so this will give me a chance to buy some and break them in first.

I did get one of those podcasts, and enjoyed what little I listened to, so thanks everybody! :smile:
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Well, I went this morning and actually managed to complete the entire W1D1! :happy: And it felt so good to cross off that block on the training schedule! I'm going to do W1D2 Monday, so I'll talk to y'all next week!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Good job to those doing the plan!! I remember my W1D1...yikes, I decided to start in the middles of the day outside in the midwest...not a good idea! But since then, it's been early mornings only and after I ate something, like a banana or granola bar. I usually eat something small about 30min after I completed that mornings walk/jog. I completed week7 on Wed, Mon brings on Week8 (28min jogs all week), depending on heat/humidity/rain. I'm headed out for the weekend, enjoy yours :) Bru
  • Chani56
    Options
    I've decided to do week 1 again. I can't do all 8 intervals comfortably yet. I think I can get it down by day 2, surely by day 3. Congrats to everyone who made it off the couch this week!:bigsmile:
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    My ankle was feeling irritated when I got up this morning, probably from the hour-long walk I took both Saturday and Sunday, so I didn't do W1D2. I'll hopefully get to it tonight or in the morning.
  • jrh5249
    Options
    Lol i messed my cycle up. I was checking the app to see what i had in front of me, and didnt even think to look at week i was on when i started. I was 2 minutes and thirty seconds into the first run interval, and thought, well this isnt right. So i ran the week 5 day 1. After getting done Ive decided to keep going from there. I will probably repeat week five at least once, but i felt so great after the run that i decided i cant go back to lower intervals. I will still be posting on this thread, cause i started it lol =] Good luck to all that are pushing through the program
  • Chani56
    Options
    @jrh5249 - That's awesome! Good for you! I wouldn't go back either =D

@PixieGoddess - I sprained both ankles awhile back, 1 in September the other in February. I didn't even think about it before starting this so after doing W1D1 they were killing me. I've been using the darned braces ever since. It has really helped. BTW I LOVE your 145 goal. I haven't been able to shop there in years. I've added that to my list of things to look forward to =P
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Well, I completely spaced on updating but I did run W1D2 Monday evening. Still slowing to a near-crawl by the end and feel like I'm going to die, so I'm already planning on doing a fourth day of Week 1 on Friday, maybe next week too.

@Chani56 - Yeah, I've never actually gotten a bra from VS, just The Lacie and some lingerie for special occasions. I want to get a good, quality bra that fits me, but not until I've reached my goal weight! :)