What are your views on vinegar for weight loss

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    DIANE2432 wrote: »
    Hello, I read apple cider vinegar or even wine vinegar help with weight loss, views ?

It doesn't do anything for weight loss. The only scientifically backed benefit of consuming ACV is that when consumed before a meal it can help lower blood sugar levels in diabetics...but even that effect is pretty minimal and similar to having a glass of wine.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar does nothing for weight loss, in and of itself.

Now green coffee extract, that stuff will make you lose weight without exercising or eating less. Just kidding. None of those things actually work.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Actually, green coffee extract being primarily caffeine will help with weight loss as it is a stimulant and appetite suppressant.

NOTE: This assumes that you're in the .01% of population that's not already caffeine acclimated.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You're just gonna have to the work!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My opinion is not worth a hill of beans. What does the evidence say?

The only data that exists, afaik, is the often cited japanese study where acv was found to have some use, but the study design wasn't great (it's based on diet diaries and step counters). I don't think there's really enough evidence to say either way personally.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687

Jeff Nippard did a myth-bust monday about this topic a while ago (reviewing the science).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGVlIaqTZk
  • nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I just had a customer tell me last week that if you drink acv after you eat it digests your food so you lose weight,I had to just bite my tongue to avoid an argument

They probably got that from Dr Oz, my mom called me and told me she saw a segment that he did where you take a shot of ACV after eating a doughnut and you won't absorb the calories or sugar from the doughnut. :( sigh some people will believe anything that man says.

That would be the case for me...because the ACV would likely have me throwing up the donut

It could also work if taken before meals by making the consumer so nauseous he or she would be unable to eat.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I just had a customer tell me last week that if you drink acv after you eat it digests your food so you lose weight,I had to just bite my tongue to avoid an argument

They probably got that from Dr Oz, my mom called me and told me she saw a segment that he did where you take a shot of ACV after eating a doughnut and you won't absorb the calories or sugar from the doughnut. :( sigh some people will believe anything that man says.

That would be the case for me...because the ACV would likely have me throwing up the donut

It could also work if taken before meals by making the consumer so nauseous he or she would be unable to eat.

Then eventually you would lose your teeth from the acidity and you could try those all liquid diets people always seem so eager to try.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Bogus. There are no magic foods that will make you lose weight. It's about being in a calorie deficit, that's it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It’s good for your immune system, but I don’t think it has any magical weight loss powers.

By what percentage is the human immune system improved by ACV? Being good for the immune system is one of the bogus claims I have heard all my life about various things.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It’s good for your immune system, but I don’t think it has any magical weight loss powers.

By what percentage is the human immune system improved by ACV? Being good for the immune system is one of the bogus claims I have heard all my life about various things.

If you're drinking vinegar with the mother, the pre/pro biotics are beneficial, similar to Yoghurt or Kefir or Kombucha, etc
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

If you're drinking vinegar with the mother, the pre/pro biotics are beneficial, similar to Yoghurt or Kefir or Kombucha, etc

I haven't looked into it in awhile but last I checked there was no proof that the mother did anything for you except cost more. Do you have a link to a human study?
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is good on salads, bad for your teeth enamel, does nothing for weight loss.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yum, apple cider vinegar...I like to toss it with vegan mayonnaise, a little celery seed, just the barest touch of sugar and make apple cole slaw.

It's not great for weightloss though (see: mayonnaise, sugar, etc) but a little of it does go a long way on my apples and cabbage.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

agreed
    -autoimmune disorder mfper
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    That's not good for your teeth..highly acidic...if you decide to do it, at least use a straw then brush afterwards. I did acv shots a years ago but had zero effect on my weightloss and gave me stomachaches but i do know there are many health benefits to it. I give my dog a teaspoon a day.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

Is this true or woo?