Rowing Machine

Options
2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    svecc wrote: »
    Does anyone use the rowing machines at Planet Fitness? I guess I should ask them how to use them. They have a keypad with some settings but what do they mean?

I could be wrong but I don't think that Planet Fitness has a real, true rowing machine (or at least not that I'm aware of). I think they have a weight machine they call a "rowing machine" but that's not the same as an Ergometer.

What kind of machine is it?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    svecc wrote: »
    Does anyone use the rowing machines at Planet Fitness? I guess I should ask them how to use them. They have a keypad with some settings but what do they mean?

I could be wrong but I don't think that Planet Fitness has a real, true rowing machine (or at least not that I'm aware of). I think they have a weight machine they call a "rowing machine" but that's not the same as an Ergometer.

What kind of machine is it?

I've not seen one at mine, and I scrolled through walkthroughs of 3 others and nothing that looks like a rower.
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, this is timely. I've been struggling with a heel issue (inflammation of the Achilles--sorta) which has greatly impacted my walking time. It's getting better slowly, but I've been trying to find an alternate means to perform cardio exercise. I have a rower and was actually going to start using it as the replacement since it seems to avoid the physical stresses that walking puts on my heel.

I would like to ask, though, from those far more veteran in rowing than I: is this a good idea, or would frequent rowing introduce more stress to my heel than I foresee from my infrequent/supplementary rowing I've done previously? (And by frequent, I mean basically following the Beginner's Pete's Plan as suggested here)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    tklivory wrote: »
    Well, this is timely. I've been struggling with a heel issue (inflammation of the Achilles--sorta) which has greatly impacted my walking time. It's getting better slowly, but I've been trying to find an alternate means to perform cardio exercise. I have a rower and was actually going to start using it as the replacement since it seems to avoid the physical stresses that walking puts on my heel.

I would like to ask, though, from those far more veteran in rowing than I: is this a good idea, or would frequent rowing introduce more stress to my heel than I foresee from my infrequent/supplementary rowing I've done previously? (And by frequent, I mean basically following the Beginner's Pete's Plan as suggested here)

It's really hard to say. I'd suggest starting very slowly (short duration, easy intensity) and working up gradually. Results will depend on the exact nature of your heel issue, and your particular rowing technique. Gradually ease your way into the Pete Plan - which looks good - and see how it goes.

Ice after; eat nutritiously - helps manage inflammation, IMO, which affects pain/discomfort levels.

Hope it goes well(
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Haven't spent a lot of time on the Concept2 forums, I have seen a lot of people that use the rower as a rehab from Achilles injuries (I've not personally). As Ann mentioned above, if you do the rower, just start easy and gradually and work on technique.

The Beginner Pete Plan is a great plan. Early on, it's not too, too taxing but in the later stages it's very hard (and meant to be). It is a gradual build up plan, both in terms of distance and gradually adding in intervals.

The rower is very gentle on your body if proper form is used, so just work and work on that. I used to take hours after running until my inflammation went down. I can row for an hour and not feel inflamed. By the same token, if you do certain things (like start with your upper body not your legs on the stroke or overextend beyond vertical on the catch with your knees extending beyond your feet) you can end up hurting yourself. Usually, if you have bad form, you'll know it fairly quickly. When starting, I used one of the Concept2 videos that showed a woman on a pier and then she broke the stroke down into components. Doing the stroke in components helped me a lot. Some of the Dark Horse Rowing videos on YouTube (and Decent Rowing) do a nice job for form education.

This is a good idea of what I did to start that really helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXnpSNf3A
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 & @MikePfirrman Thank you both so much! I was planning on starting out nice and slow. Luckily I have a wall-length mirror that I can plunk the rowing machine in front of to work on my form, I just wasn't sure what the form should look like. I'll watch the video and take your advice under... um, well, advisement. I really appreciate the feedback, and I think this will work for me.

Besides, I'll be kayaking on vacation in a couple of months, so this will dovetail nicely into getting ready for that anyway. :wink:
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just got a rowing machine too and thought I'd jump in and say thanks for the tips, as well. I have a question, too. My rower is not Concept2 (Not in my budget. I may upgrade later, but wanted to start with something smaller and cheaper to see if I liked it first.) and the computerized tracking leaves something to be desired. Is there any kind of reliable way to convert strokes to meters? Or I'm I better off just focusing on my form, duration, and heart rate?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    Is there any kind of reliable way to convert strokes to meters?

No.

The spm (strokes per minute) do not directly detetmine the distance you have covered.

I can row 2500m in 12-13 mins using 26 spm regardless of the time it takes to row this distance but the level of effort required will vary between 625-700 cals or between 105-120 watts.

So, the amount of effort (work) you put into rowing will have a closer correlation w/the distance rowed than spm, but you can't estimate the distance rowed based on this either.
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    Or I'm I better off just focusing on my form, duration, and heart rate?

Yes. Do this.

Form is important regardless of what type/brand of rower you use.

I stopped using a HRM but, in the absence of anything else, it's s a good indicator of the effort exerted (better than just going by how you feel).

If your goals are improved fitness/cardio and weight loss via cal burn, rowing at a moderate rate for longer intervals of 10-15 mins is better IMO than rowing at higher intensity for shorter periods of time.

But there is no one size fits all as far as this goes. Better to do something than nothing. So, just do the type of routine that you enjpy best.

Good luck!

• BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think this is the video someone mentioned, breaking the stroke into parts to practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8

I have a dirt cheap, mechanical rowing machine--no frills. It is enough to let me practice form. Not sure if it is good for more than that! I'll have to find out.