What investments have you made to lose?

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For weight loss: just a food scale

For fitness: Barbell, plates, bench, squat rack, dumbbells, pull-up bar, miscellaneous smaller equipment, knee sleeves, and shoes for lifting.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »

Tai Chi club fees - okay, so it's not a hugely calorie-burning exercise, but great for my mental health which has contributed to improvements in other areas.

Surgery - luckily fully funded, so no cash outlay for me, but having metalwork removed from my leg was a time/pain investment in my long term comfort and mobility. It was a hard one, as I was "okay" with the hardware in there, but now I do believe it has improved my range and freedom of movement. And it's only since then I have joined the gym - wouldn't have considered it before.

And kind of joking here, but getting a dog! She wasn't cheap and there are of course ongoing costs, plus training is an ongoing adventure. She of course is much more than my walking buddy, but she definitely makes sure I get out there more regularly!

This is the kind of stuff I love to hear - what's helping you that's unique to your situation and needs. My dog is hugely motivated to get me my steps... as long as it is 50-75* outside with no precipitation. Otherwise he's very happy in our climate controlled house.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    In the most recent 2 years I've spent money on exercise machines and equipment, cooking equipment for making pizza, stuff to make kombucha, stuff to make kefir, stuff to make yogurt, stuff to make bread and all the other stuff I eat. And ice cream.

I've been making kombucha too and need to get another set of brewing bottles so I can make 2 weeks at a time. But I have to ask... are your investments in ice cream for making it or just consuming it? ;) just had to know...

Consuming. I've got gear to make it with, but it's small and only can make 1 qt at a time. I haven't bothered.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My kitchen can't handle another gadget. All of my ice cream budget goes directly to finished product.

But i just bottled another batch of kombucha and I'm trying a couple bottles with kiwi!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My kitchen can't handle another gadget. All of my ice cream budget goes directly to finished product.

But i just bottled another batch of kombucha and I'm trying a couple bottles with kiwi!

I have two bottles for kombucha. One is 1 gallon, the other is 2 gallons. Both have spigots.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bench and weights, pull up bar, resistance bands, yoga mats and a giant mirror for my garage. That's about it. Vegan protein powder also, which is about $60 per month, but basically just part of my groceries...I get $600 per year from work as a "health and wellness" allowance so use that to by my shoes and other workout gear. So they are investing in my journey also ;)
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what kind of investments you've made in yourself, and continue to make, to lose weight and maintain your health. Those could be financial, or others.

My biggest investment is time. I'm working out a TON these days. I'm blessed to be in a season of life to have the time, and I really enjoy it. The biggest price to this is that my house is a hot mess all the time... but with 5 kids, it is a hot mess whether I go to the gym or not.

Logging is also time. Every meal, every new recipe.. 2 months in and still very tasky for me.

My financial investments are:

1) gym membership. With pool, good childcare hours, and a variety of classes and times.

2) decent workout gear. Mainly shoes and undergarments.. most of my leggings come off clearance racks, but a good pair of shoes and the right sports bra are imperative.

3) kombucha. I know it seems wierd, but the probiotics help my gut immensely, I get a mental pick me up, and drinking one in the afternoon helps me snack less.

I can't think of anything else off hand - I don't have a digital food scale (but I already had a kitchen scale that I now use to measure certain high calorie items).

What have you done to make your health a priority?

ALL that I've done to maintain and prioritise my life, is to support my musculoskeletal integrity, keeping it simple (ie sustainable), with zero tolerance for disruptions.
    • Nutrition: Backyard edible gardening (... in progress) plus bulk-meat purchases (the entire carcass)
    • Eating plan: Cutting atm, week 2 and on point
    • Workout: Gifted free gym membership, gated community clubhouse benefits - riding trails, hiking & biking (including motocross), tennis, volleyball and pool access plus at home gym for the essentials. Paid memberships - our private coaches.
    • Footwear: Ocean swim shoes, runners (3 pairs interchangeable every 6 weeks in Summer, every 12 to 16 weeks in Winter)
    • Clothing: Undergarments have been the major expense since 2012 to now and of course the workout wear depending on my programme combo.
    • Hair: Strange but - my flyaways!!!! I've gone through the gamut of products to just control it!!!!!! Invested a lot here!
    • Hydration: Filtration system
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I did a time switcharoo and instead of loafing about all night surfing the internet or on Playstation, I go to bed early and use those hours in the morning instead, to hit the gym in the week and weekends I hike. I also spend time cooking/home preparing pretty much everything I eat now. Gym membership. Good workout shoes.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m broke, so my biggest financial investment was about £25 on some weights. Never been to a gym or class of any type and all my workout clothes are from the cheapest trashiest stores (Primark, if you’re in the UK).

I do invest a lot of time, though. I’m unemployed, so time is the only thing I’ve got lots of.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    for weightloss ..... I only invested in a set of scales .. if anything I am saving loads of money from now eating a LOT less

Fitness ..... where to begin, Bikes, rowing machine, barbell, kettlebell and clothing ..... so much clothing
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    About five minutes a day logging food, usually after lunch and while planning dinner. A food scale is the only money I can think of. I've lost about forty pounds but bought no new clothes, since I already had smaller clothes in my closet from the last yo-yo cycle. I actually think I've saved money by cutting out all those evening "fun runs" to the store for ice-cream or baked goods.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Gym membership and yoga classes, both worth it! A food scale and time, time time...but time well spent if you ask me! :)
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot getting my wedding bands resized twice! After this I'll need a new set. $$$$
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I bought a $15 food scale, but I already owned my treadmill. I'm walking a lot more, probably an extra 30-45 minutes a day. Hubby and I plan our meals for the next week every Friday night and have since we got married, so no changes there. I can't really think of much else, except for the time spent looking for new recipes or altering old recipes to be a bit healthier.

Money: YMCA membership/towel service, bathing suits, caps, goggles, healthy food, water fitness shoes, gas, new bathroom scale, fluids (bottled water, propel).

Time: workouts (lap swimming, water fitness, jacuzzi spa soaks), transportation, watching YouTube videos on swimming, rest.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Time. I’ve always said “I don’t have time” but In the grand scheme of things, my workouts only take up like 2% of my entire week in terms of hours spent including changing clothes and driving to and from. So I made it a priority.

I have a gym membership. I paid a whole year up front and it’s up in November. I think this coming November instead of renewing my membership I’m going to invest in a home gym. This will make it easier on me as far as time spent is concerned and I also think I’ll enjoy it more. No more waiting for equipment.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Financial: Fitbit, exercise bike, road bike and annual gym membership.
    Time: I invest 5-7 hours a week in my health and mental well being.
    Still fat though but I am so much fitter and happier, well worth the investment.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Time: slightly more planning so I have meals ready at home for myself and my 2 daughters, a goal to eat out just once a month so I am able to afford a gym membership (myself) and tumbling classes (girls). Invest 5-6 hours a week working out at a gym with child care and 2/3 hours a week at tumbling practice with girls. Lots of time on my welbeing, adjusting my mindset around food.

$$$: A food scale, set of free weights for home, gym membership, work out clothes...killer leggings, indoor and outdoor trainers and my favorite a jump box and pull up bar. I can only dead hang and do reverse pullups (using jump box) but some day I will do a pull up.
    I also took a few nutrition classes, have purchased some...ok many books.

I also rewarded my self with a Lecruset braiser...off eBay after I lost 25 lbs.

40 lbs and counting... :)