Low fat or full fat

Options
124»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Some things I do low fat, some things full fat. Depends on taste and what fits in my goals for the week.

This. I drink skim milk. I like the taste and texture better. I use light Miracle Whip, and sometimes light spreadable butter (can't taste the difference). Low fat cheese is HORRIBLE so I never use that.

Yeah, I should have qualified my response a little better. Low fat cheese is disgusting, won't eat that stuff. It tastes like shredded plastic and doesn't melt like full-fat cheese.

I'll happily drink nonfat milk, use light mayo, Brummel & Brown yogurt spread instead of butter (most of the time), Oikos nonfat Greek yogurt, artificial sweeteners instead of sugar (most of the time), Bolthouse Farms light salad dressings, etc. - but there are a few things I refuse to compromise on. Cheese is definitely one of them.

I don't ever have to worry about getting sufficient fat in my diet - I get plenty from the rest of the foods I eat. My fat macro percentage is set at 30% (which is about .35g/lb. bodyweight for me), and I don't have any problem reaching that.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that low-fat (or, gasp, nonfat) cheese generally tastes like plastic. Otherwise, I buy mostly low-fat dairy products. After decades of drinking skim milk, and eating reduced fat yogurt, while milk products taste too rich to me. Low-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel) is fine. I don’t like mayo, but buy the low-fat version for my family. I do buy real butter, which I use mostly for baking (and used tonight, with fresh squeezed lemon to sauté some lovely flounder fillets.)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am limited on carbs by my dietician for T2 diabetes, so low fat choices are often worse for me as many have added sugars or equivalents.

Pass the fat, keep the sugar away.

YMMV