Daily Water Quotient

I'm curious if the allotted amount of water you should consume is strictly water, or do things like unsweetened tea, diet ginger ale or coffee count as well toward your goal? I'm new to the site and app this week and am working on losing weight via a reduced intake of carbs. Thanks in advance for any responses! :-)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,071 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    All those items are 90%+ water. They're fine.

Frankly I don't track my water intake (which is all water or diet soda). I go by my urine color to make sure I'm drinking enough.

More like 99%+ water. Skim (nonfat) milk is 90%+ water.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    klward978 wrote: »
    Hi! I’m new to this app this week as well. Definitely like it so far!
    As for water vs diet soda/ unsweetened tea/ coffee debate: To think that diet soda, etc is just as good as water since they ARE mostly water is like saying you can drink beer all day instead of water because beer is mostly made of water.

Alcohol is different because...well, alcohol. And I didn't say I drink only diet soda, even though there are others on here that do. I have a can in the morning and a can at dinnertime. Everything else I drink is water. Putting things in water doesn't negate the properties of the water itself.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,305 Member
    As for water vs diet soda/ unsweetened tea/ coffee debate: To think that diet soda, etc is just as good as water since they ARE mostly water is like saying you can drink beer all day instead of water because beer is mostly made of water.

Great! I can drink beer all day.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,539 Member

I kinda did, today. I expect to live.

Look, alcohol has some literally poisonous qualities, especially pronounced in excess.

As far as I know, the same is emphatically not true for unsweetened tea, sparkling water, juice, sports drinks, coffee, etc., etc. Any beverage has specific qualities (calories, sodium, whatever) that may play either a positive or negative role nutritionally, depending on context. Those other ingredients need to be taken into account in thinking about one's diet.

But the water part of beverages (or fruits, soups, etc.) is just water, and doesn't stop being water because it's mixed with something. (Even mixed with alcohol, water is still water.) Same is true for water-rich foods like watermelon, celery, etc. You get the benefit of the water.

If the thing you mix water with is so very diuretic that the water won't stay in your body long enough to do any good, then maybe the water wouldn't count. There's ample evidence that coffee, tea, etc. - the common things - are simply not that diuretic for a healthy person. The water counts.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,305 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I kinda did, today. I expect to live.

Look, alcohol has some literally poisonous qualities, especially pronounced in excess.

As far as I know, the same is emphatically not true for unsweetened tea, sparkling water, juice, sports drinks, coffee, etc., etc. Any beverage has specific qualities (calories, sodium, whatever) that may play either a positive or negative role nutritionally, depending on context. Those other ingredients need to be taken into account in thinking about one's diet.

But the water part of beverages (or fruits, soups, etc.) is just water, and doesn't stop being water because it's mixed with something. (Even mixed with alcohol, water is still water.) Same is true for water-rich foods like watermelon, celery, etc. You get the benefit of the water.

If the thing you mix water with is so very diuretic that the water won't stay in your body long enough to do any good, then maybe the water wouldn't count. There's ample evidence that coffee, tea, etc. - the common things - are simply not that diuretic for a healthy person. The water counts.

My response was tongue in cheek. I am with you. There is a huge difference between zero calorie soda, unsweetened tea/coffee and beer. First, beer has calories. Second, alcohol is toxic and has very negative effects at high consumption amounts. None of that is true about the other options mentioned above.
  • JessT9096
    JessT9096 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all, at this point, I am pretty much avoiding alcohol in general and really trying to limit any diet soda to 1/day - mostly ginger ale. But I think my question was answered, much appreciated.