POOR GIRLS CAN GET FIT!

Options
12346»

Replies

• CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    what's the definition of "poor" here? because I remember being 13 and my mother only having 20 dollars for groceries for the week. and guess what we bought? rice and potatoes. and guess who became overweight and whose health went to ****?

Exactly, rice is cheap and can be used in so many meals, just add various veggies and stretch the meat out by cutting it up in small bite size pieces and adding it to the dish. I used to think it was healthy eating, then I saw the calories added up from the rice and was shocked. But when you don't have much money, you do what you have to do in order to feed your family.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    So true on the Youtube!! You can do SO many exercises at home with the help of the internet, some dumbbells, and your own body. Pushups: totally free, and a great place to start.

I am lucky because I am the sole provider of income for my family of five, so I qualify for a cheap Y membership. I only pay $13 a month for the family. Definitely look into that.

Being poor does not mean one has to buy processed foods either. We grow some of our own food and buy what's in season throughout the year; we buy frozen vegetables/fruits for stuff that is not in season or harder to find. Not having cable (ever) also helps keep things cheaper and prevents us from sitting on our butts. :)
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here's a good read if you are on a budget and trying to eat healthy! ---> http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/100-days-on-a-budget/
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    poor...let me tell you

Im so poor, I cant even afford roaches...................., now thats poor
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Can't afford the internet or cable, so I just walk/run outside. I do pay 10 bucks for a gym membership, but it's a lot cheaper than paying for cable/internet! I only buy food that's on sale. Havent really start couponing yet, but I'm going to because the grocery store doubles them.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    $20 for the week? that's do-able depending on family size. I've done it for our family of 3 and bought frozen veggies, beans, meat and bananas... All cheap.

I just spent $50 at Sams Club and bought 10 large chicken breasts that can be cut in half, a 3lb bag of salad mix, a 40 pack of juice boxes (for school lunch), a 4 pack on California blend veggies that come in steamer bags, 4 huge thick steaks (we each ate one and used the biggest to slice up for salads for lunch)... That will feed us almost two weeks, including the pantry stuff we have.
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    How to do it.

First of stop complaining about how you don't have the money. Because you don't need a lot to get healthy.

Second of all, realize you don't have to spend a dime on exercise. You don't need a trainer, you don't need any crazy diet program..not even a gym membership. If you have a computer and gyms shoes your good to go. If you don't have room inside... I know, you know... to go outside!
    Sources:
    -YouTube has amazing workout videos. Whether or not you got 5mins or an hour set aside for fitness. There are lots of REAL people that give real motivation to get fit and healthy.
    -Pinterest had fun and interesting workouts that will get you moving and you won't get bored. All don't in the comfort of home

"Healthy food is SO EXPENSIVE" - uh no. Stop. If you think Special K and Kashi bars are the definition of health food... They aren't. Those foods need to be eaten in moderation and should not be a staple. And Why don't you skip McBurger Hut and go to Walmart. But stay the heck away from pre-made breakfast and dinners. Find and reach for canned beans, tuna, sardines, tomatoes... Apples, oranges, banana, grapes... Chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean beef... Frozen mixed vegs.... Fresh onion, garlic, lettuce, salad mixes, celery, carrots, bell peppers... Eggs, low fat milk... Honestly it's about what you stop getting so you can start getting foods that will really bring your body health and in turn you'll see real results.

I find SO MANY clean food recipes and I'm inspired everyday to try a new healthy meal with a new fresh fruit or vegetables. There are so many out there and each have their own way of contributing to your health. Again, you don't need to spend money on healthy recipe books or magazines, there are sooo many online. (YouTube and Pinterest)

Check your priorities. Instead of shopping every weekend for clothes, i spent that time on money on foods to keep me healthy and happy.

And finally, it is not about having the time. It's about making it.

I would love feed back from others on how they manage to stay fit and healthy without spending a crazy amount of money.

*Disclaimer: this is my own personal advice from my own personal experiences. I am not a dietitian, no health expert etc.*

So in your world of "poverty" people have computers AND high-speed internet connection that allows them to watch Youtube videos? Impressive. Also, FYI if you're feeding a family of 4 on 23,000 (which is btw, the definition of the "poverty line" in the US) fresh fruit and vegetables are extremely expensive. Sure, you can "lose weight" if you're poor, but your suggestions clearly reveal how out of touch with what poverty actually is.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Also, can people PLEASE remember that those living in lower income areas have less likely to have easy access to fresh produce and it can also cost more than in a middle/high income area? Just because YOU can get it, doesn't mean everyone else can.
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    hmm gd idea to replace money spend on clothes to fresh produc:love: e!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    We rarely eat out but our fridge is always full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Lately they are from our garden, but even in the winter I can buy all the fresh we want. I use a jogging stroller and run with my son a lot and do workout DVD in our basement while he plays. I always thought it was too expensive to eat healthy, but I had never really tried either.

Having a garden and an excess to a farmers market helps with the expense of fresh produce.
    Gardens are not cheap to maintain in many areas, it is cheaper to buy the food than grow your own.