Daily Steps

Options
13»

Replies

• kx4jtg
    kx4jtg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is set to a goal of 10k per day, but I try to get that by the end of the work day. I have a desk job, so in order to get the steps I walk on my breaks and lunch. I do 2.25 miles at lunch 4 days a week.

I also walk for time. Due to health conditions, I can't run for fitness so I walk. I want to walk my first 5k soon and I'd like to come in under 60 minutes. I'm averaging about 18.5 minutes per mile now. I don't know how people walk 15 minute miles. Good luck!
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I remember when i first got my fitbit 4 years ago. I set my goal to 25k steps a day, my whole days were dedicated to getting those frickan steps in, there were times i was walking up and down my street like a crazy lady at 10 at night!
    Since then I've reduced to that goal to 20k, then 15k and am now set at 10,000 steps a day. I usually finish between 11-12k, i don't have to force walk any more, the pressure is off and makes walking enjoyable and not a stressful chore as it was in the beginning...

This was me tonight trying to get to 9000. :)
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,872 Member
    Options
    I walk about 5000 steps most days at work. I end my day with a 3 mile walk which I get by going twice around my neighborhood. It takes just over an hour and I look forward to it. Sometimes I go up to the school and use the track.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,872 Member
    Options
    I also try for 10,000 which is recommended by the American Heart Association and used as a common goal on my fitbit.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    kx4jtg wrote: »
    . . . I don't know how people walk 15 minute miles.

How I did it is to take a stop watch to the track and make myself walk progressly faster. I keep the swing of my arms small and controlled and use my arms to make myself walk faster. You probably have noticed that the faster you swing your arms, the faster your legs go :)

• bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to get 12,000 a day and it is not hard if I go to the gym for an hour. If I having a lot of sitting on some days, I dance around, jog, move around the house (which drives my husband crazy!) Really good days, I get 14,000.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My average so far this year is 17k, but 12k is my minimum.
  • mortikarobinette
    mortikarobinette Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My goal is 6000 right now. I'm hitting it on walking days. The 2 days a week I take off though I'm lucky to hit 1000.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    On average days, 10-12K before exercise. On a busy day if we have an outing of some kind, 15-20K. I'm at home with five children full-time now. I have endless amounts of housework so that helps. It's nice out so I spend a lot of time gardening and playing with my kids and chasing a toddler around. I don't spend much time sitting or watching TV.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I get on average 12-20k a day, very few days under 10k, even a rest day is 5k+
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I average 13500 a day including exercise. My minimum is 12000 or I lose my mind! lol
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is set to a goal of 10k per day, but I try to get that by the end of the work day. I have a desk job, so in order to get the steps I walk on my breaks and lunch. I do 2.25 miles at lunch 4 days a week.

I also walk for time. Due to health conditions, I can't run for fitness so I walk. I want to walk my first 5k soon and I'd like to come in under 60 minutes. I'm averaging about 18.5 minutes per mile now. I don't know how people walk 15 minute miles. Good luck!

I walk at 4+ mph on most of my dedicated exercise walks. A few days ago, I walked 8 miles in 1:56 in the 90 degree heat ( I might have to burn that shirt :) ). I used to run and had/have knee trouble and surgery and I arthritis. There is caveat; I lost 65 pounds (maintenance now) and it wasn't until I lost about 30 that I could keep that pace for more than a mile or two. It was a combination of less weight on the knees and having gotten the regular exercise of walking so often.

I don't get over 10k steps without a dedicated walk of an hour or more. It's counterintuitive; I can't walk that fast taking small strides so the steps and mileage get wonky at higher walking speed.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My goal is 10,000 steps, but my average is 13,000 steps.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 20k steps for the whole month but ive done 35k a couple times this month, when I make it a point to be active 8 hours at work, I can get upwards of 26k steps.

I make it a point to be " inefficient" at work, yes inefficient, what that means is i can do the simplest task in the most active long way hence inefficient and do as many steps as I can while at it.

After work, I do a GPS run/walk 5 miler for another 10k steps, by day's end I'm at 35k steps and over 19 miles.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I walk at 4+ mph on most of my dedicated exercise walks. A few days ago, I walked 8 miles in 1:56 in the 90 degree heat ( I might have to burn that shirt :) ). I used to run and had/have knee trouble and surgery and I arthritis. There is caveat; I lost 65 pounds (maintenance now) and it wasn't until I lost about 30 that I could keep that pace for more than a mile or two. It was a combination of less weight on the knees and having gotten the regular exercise of walking so often.

I don't get over 10k steps without a dedicated walk of an hour or more. It's counterintuitive; I can't walk that fast taking small strides so the steps and mileage get wonky at higher walking speed.

I know the feeling of the heat! Florida is just starting to get hot! Its going to be one hell of a summer here!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My minimum set on Fitbit and Garim is 20k steps. I personally aim for 30k. Yes, I walk. A lot. I stopped sitting on my butt watching movies/streamers and walk while watching movies/streamers.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I get between 7k and 8k on average. I also bike 10+ miles a day which doesn't count towards that. It all Eve s out.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My daily min is set at 12K. My average is 16K and on weekends, I can hit 20+K steps, especially when I go hiking (6-8miles).
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    10k steps 5-6 days a week. I’m hoping once I get to my goal I can cut that down without gaining weight I’ll have to wait, test and see.