What finally pushed you to lose the weight?

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    I got upset when I got over 300 pounds on the scale. I dropped back down to "normal" at 275 and said never again would I get that heavy. When I got over 290 again, I was triggered. Those days are gone for good, and I'm fairly happy hovering around 205, although I'd like to lose 10-20 more pounds. Wishing I'd hit that trigger at a younger age...
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    I looked in a mirror
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    I moved into a new apartment and the only place to set up my full length mirror is across from my bed. Having the mirror there was the first time I saw what my body looks like seated and hunched over and it wasn't pretty. Also I made a brief trip into class 2 obesity, my clothes weren't fitting, and I was getting really out of breath from small things. Top all that off with elevated blood pressure at a doctor's visit and I was done.

I felt invincible for so long because weight problems run in my family, but nobody has the diseases that are usually comorbid with obesity. The elevated blood pressure turned out to be a random off reading but it scared me enough to change.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    I absolutely refused to go up another pant size. All my cute outfits didn't fit anymore and I was buying new ones to accommodate my size. When you are 5'4 and gain 5lbs it might as well be 50.

Myself, husband and son went to AZ last September and I felt disgusting. I couldn't wear any of my old clothes, had to buy new clothes just so I could go. It wasn't until the beginning of this year I made a commitment to lose the weight and be disciplined. After 43 years of NOT being disciplined, it was quite the struggle...lol
  • FitAuntie2018
    FitAuntie2018 Posts: 85 Member
    I was tired of looking in the mirror and hated what I saw .. also my legs and feet hurt so bad everyday that I said enough was enough and never looked back!
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    shredcamps wrote: »
    I looked in a mirror
    Legitimate reason. Lol, I’ve had a day or two like that.
  • DesOdhi
    Having the mirror there was the first time I saw what my body looks like seated and hunched over and it wasn't pretty.
    This part resonated with me so much. Someone took a picture of me from the side while I was seated... I almost cried looking at that picture. Even though I’ve lost 20 lbs, I still feel über uncomfortable when people take pictures of me.
  • DesOdhi
    @maureenkhilde you can do it! I believe in you. I don’t know if you’re a religious person or not, but in my experience, prayer really helps.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    How did you push through the pain with workouts? I lost 30 lbs with exercise and calorie tracking, I have 15 more to go, but my back pain has caused me to stop. I have gained a few lbs back but it has maintained there for a while . I enjoyed working out, and my pain is my enemy.
  • baacissej
    baacissej Posts: 32 Member
    I used to just focus on being skinnier and looking good but now my priorities have changed. Losing weight for me now is so important. I'll have less back pain and more energy to do things, I'll have greater confidence which will open more doors for me, I'll be able to take my son on children's rides and go on little adventures myself, like zip lining (which I've always loved but I'm now too heavy). I don't want to live each day wishing I was thinner and fitter and wake up with my whole life having past me by and still wishing I'd made a change. I'm only 24 so if I make changes now I'll have plenty more years left to enjoy life without regret.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Realizing that female Biggest Loser contestants become lighter than me less than halfway through the season, the smallest ladies might even start lighter than me.

That’s not my ”why”, but that pretty much prompted my ”now is the time”. My ”why” includes all kinds of things from wanting to look professional and like I have it together when I graduate and start my career, to fitting into some old clothes, to wanting to be a healthy&fit mom with healthy pregnancies.

(Just to clarify: I’m fully aware of all the issues of the Biggest Loser show and I do not follow any sort of BL-related weight loss plan or expect similar results. The numbers are still numbers, and I couldn’t escape those.)
  • DesOdhi
    How did you push through the pain with workouts? I lost 30 lbs with exercise and calorie tracking, I have 15 more to go, but my back pain has caused me to stop. I have gained a few lbs back but it has maintained there for a while . I enjoyed working out, and my pain is my enemy.

I’m going to be honest. I don’t work out much. Weight loss, in my experience, is 80% food, 20% fitness.
  • DesOdhi
    hipari wrote: »
    Realizing that female Biggest Loser contestants become lighter than me less than halfway through the season, the smallest ladies might even start lighter than me.

That’s not my ”why”, but that pretty much prompted my ”now is the time”. My ”why” includes all kinds of things from wanting to look professional and like I have it together when I graduate and start my career, to fitting into some old clothes, to wanting to be a healthy&fit mom with healthy pregnancies.

(Just to clarify: I’m fully aware of all the issues of the Biggest Loser show and I do not follow any sort of BL-related weight loss plan or expect similar results. The numbers are still numbers, and I couldn’t escape those.)

I get it! No need to clarify. I used to watch the biggest loser back when I worked out everyday, for motivation. It definitely is motivational to see people lose weight so quickly.
  • DesOdhi
    Wolfger wrote: »
    I got upset when I got over 300 pounds on the scale. I dropped back down to "normal" at 275 and said never again would I get that heavy. When I got over 290 again, I was triggered. Those days are gone for good, and I'm fairly happy hovering around 205, although I'd like to lose 10-20 more pounds. Wishing I'd hit that trigger at a younger age...

CONGRATULATIONS! That’s a huge accomplishment.

• DesOdhi
    I was tired of looking in the mirror and hated what I saw .. also my legs and feet hurt so bad everyday that I said enough was enough and never looked back!

Yes. Huge motivator. The worst part of a mirror for me was buying (or almost buying) something and the mirror screams how “horrible” I looked.