For those that skip breakfast...

Options
124»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The main issue is for Advil or throat lozenges when I'm getting sick. Sometimes there's no 'just wait until later to take it' option, lol.

Agree. That is when it double sucks for me because when I am ill my appetite dries up typically. So now on top of not usually eating breakfast I have less appetite than normal and I am forcing myself to eat so I can take medicine. This is still better than the "gut rot" feeling I get from things with zinc or being extremely nauseous from throat lozenges.
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think there are some studies that show the psychology attached to breakfast skipping is what can make you put on weight because at lunch time time you might eat more since you were so virtuous in the morning and by noon
    youre really a bit hungry. Other than that i don't think it's bad.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Annoying isn't it? I actually changed my MFP tracker so instead of saying breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack it says meal#1/meal#2/meal#3/meal#4. I guess it's more a mental thing for me and I don't like being pigeonholed into a meal schedule that was created by the food industry in this country.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Before I had gastroparesis I found eating breakfast made me more hungry than if I didn't eat it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    I think there are some studies that show the psychology attached to breakfast skipping is what can make you put on weight because at lunch time time you might eat more since you were so virtuous in the morning and by noon

But since you didn't eat breakfast, you have extra calories to play with anyway. :)
  • amseymour96
    amseymour96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I respond by saying that there are enough calories from my coffe creamer to make up for it
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Eh. People have their opinions. It doesn’t bother me if they think I’m doing something “bad”. They can think that it makes no difference to me. I get comments periodically about my diet Dr Pepper habit as well.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Eh. People have their opinions. It doesn’t bother me if they think I’m doing something “bad”. They can think that it makes no difference to me. I get comments periodically about my diet Dr Pepper habit as well.

About how awesome diet dr pepper is no doubt! Anyone who doesnt like it is probably an alien. Just saying.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

About how awesome diet dr pepper is no doubt! Anyone who doesnt like it is probably an alien. Just saying.

Kill All Humans!! I mean, sure, I like diet dr pepper. :grimace:
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was at my thinnest the two periods of my life that I didn't eat breakfast. First in my college years, I maintained a weight 10 lbs. less than my high school weight (when I ate breakfast every single day). I didn't watch calories, I was just too lazy to get up in enough time to eat. And I didn't feel hungry until later. The second time was all through my 40's into 50's. I weighed way less than younger years when I ate breakfast. So much for "people who eat breakfast weigh less than those who don't."
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I remember as a kid growing up that I was rarely hungry in the morning but my parents forced me to eat breakfast. As the years have gone by, now I cant start my day without it.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I’m on my 470 day streak and have not ONCE eaten breakfast. I was not turned into some mutant zombie, my appetitive didn’t decrease, I managed to lose 15.2kg. Some people wake up and need to eat. It’s totally fine. Eat WHENEVER you feel like it, whether it be morning or night. AS LONG as you stick to your calorie allowance. People only know what they want to know with some media persuasion thrown in. Whatever works for you :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »

But since you didn't eat breakfast, you have extra calories to play with anyway. :)

True, but for many (not all) non-dieting breakfast skippers, pre-lunch snacks tend to come in high calorie packages and then lunch on top of that. Skipping a 400 calories breakfast and then having a small pack of tortilla chips (300 calories) and a Snickers bar (200+ calories) would result in higher calories without feeling like too much food. For a person who is regulating their calories, or for someone who doesn't compensate with higher calories than saved, breakfast or no breakfast makes no difference.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    M0n1KCR wrote: »
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

But you guys have late dinners too.

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.

When do you sleep? Lol. Serious question. Do people just nap during their lunch break?

I go to bed early, at about 10:30-11. And yes, I have a little nap after lunch, about half an hour makes you feel great. Many people do, especially in summer.

What is considered going to bed late? :o (Asks the person who is in bed by 8:00 p.m. and up at 3:45 a.m.)
    In Spain most people have just coffee for breakfast, and then we have a mid-morning break where we eat something - usually a small sandwich-, because we have lunch very late. I still remember the first time I went abroad and explained it to my host family (whose daughter was coming to my house later on); they looked at me as if I came from Mars, and then told me that was soooooooooo unhealthy. No breakfast! Lunch at 3 o'clock! It got to a point when I feared they wouldn't allow their child to come to my house, just in case she died from starvation ;-)

Still curious about what time people go to work/school over there when they end up having dinner after my bedtime, lol.

I work in a high school, and classes start at 8. Most people start working between 8 and 9. Then there are two main timetables: in one of them you work until about 3, and eat your lunch later, and in the other you have a lunch break at about 1:30-2 and then you go back to work. The problem is that this lunch break is usually very long (in some places they don't go back until 5 in the afternoon), because most people go home for lunch, so they finish work quite late in the afternoon (around 7). Most business close at 7, some shops at 8, and big chains and supermarkets are open until 9:30-10. Most families have dinner around 9:30.

When do you sleep? Lol. Serious question. Do people just nap during their lunch break?

I go to bed early, at about 10:30-11. And yes, I have a little nap after lunch, about half an hour makes you feel great. Many people do, especially in summer.

What is considered going to bed late? :o (Asks the person who is in bed by 8:00 p.m. and up at 3:45 a.m.)

Lots of my workmates go to bed at midnight, or even later.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast during the work week. I often drink some juice because I'm thirsty, and that will hold me until lunch at 12:30. I've found that I'm always hungry for more food when I eat breakfast, so my calorie intake increases on those days.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6:30 and have 2 cups of coffee between then and 9am or so. I’ve been eating breakfast (usually a feta omelet) between 10am-11am. I love eggs, but I’m just not hungry until later in the morning.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Because depending on where you grew up, you were fed the idea that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" from a very young age.
  • Ceenah80
    Ceenah80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am doing intermittent fasting. Skip breakfast all the time. A host of other folks do too. No biggie!