Keto and OMAD

Options
jmartika
jmartika Posts: 3 Member
I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes type 2, which resulted in me immediately implementing a low carb diet. This eating style has drastically lowered my blood glucose level without medicine and I have lost about 9 lbs in 3 weeks. I wanted to see if there were other people diabetic or not that does keto and only eats one meal a day. I have a busy schedule, so I find it easier to prepare one big meal versus multiple meals and snacking throughout the day. I also enjoy the way I feel while fasting.

Replies

• sherbear462018
    sherbear462018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had recent success with one meal a day intermittent fasting using Keto and low carb. I have no thyroid since radioactive iodine, so for me to lose weight,I have to calorie restrict a bit and thus, the one meal a day fast works well for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Keto is probably fine...but you should really talk to your doctor about fasting. Typically fasting and diabetes don't make good bed fellows.

It's starting to look like fasting improves IR in those with diabetes.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29754952
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am genuinely curious how you even get adequate protein with only OMAD or at least what is your goal? Especially, considering protein should be around 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight per day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious how you even get adequate protein with only OMAD or at least what is your goal? Especially, considering protein should be around 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight per day.

I've seen people do it - it's a big piece of meat! Some people may go with lower protein goals closer to the minimum recommended of 0.36 g/ lb of body weight.

Then again, I have no idea how volume eaters/ high carb can do omad - that is a lot of food volume. I imagine that the stomach would need to stretch somewhat.