How do I give up diet coke??

Options
Has any one out there given up diet coke? If so, how did you do it?

It's sad to say, but I'm addicted to it. I have been drinking it for over 10 years now and know how bad it is for me, but I just can't stop drinking it. I consume at least 8-10+ glasses of water a day and drink at least 2-3 cans of soda with meals. I rarely drink coffee, if I do, it's probably once or twice a month and I get a large iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

I am starting weight watchers again next week and hope to finally get on track and lose weight.

Replies

• sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ok-here is some help... check out what Diet Coke does to your teeth! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/diet-soda-teeth-similar-to-meth-photos_n_3348158.html
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to give it up? If it's diet it isn't going to help your weight loss and if you are used to the caffeine and you want to quit then you probably want to wean off or go through a couple days of banging headaches.
  • amlyrod
    amlyrod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just had to cold turkey. I started replacing it with other options like an unsweetened tea or indulged in something like lemonade with my meals. it is really hard at first, but I am finding the longer i go without it, the less I want it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drank full calorie/sugar soda before my journey. When I started on MFP, I gave it up cold turkey and switched to 100% water. It;s worked well for me so far. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking it. Don't buy it. Don't keep it in your house. Don't keep cash for soda machines. You'll have headaches a few days and it will be over.

I am not being snarky. This is how I did it in January 2011. So far, so good.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    It wasn't diet coke for me but Squirt. I "had" to have it. Decided one day I was done with soda, completely. Dropped 5 pounds alone from cutting it out in the first couple of weeks avoiding it. That was eons ago and I've definately found a myriad of ways to get that 5 pounds back and not in a good way. I can honestly say that through the course of a year however, I can probably count the cans of soda I have on two hands with fingers to spare.

For me it was one part health, a lot of parts modeling better habits for my kids and my athletes.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Ok-here is some help... check out what Diet Coke does to your teeth! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/diet-soda-teeth-similar-to-meth-photos_n_3348158.html

Wow. A 3 person study. I'm sure lack of dental hygiene was not a factor.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I am a recovering addict, ex smoker and ex soda drinker. If I can do all that, you can stop drinking diet coke. You have to WANT to do it. I haven't done drugs in 7 years, had a cigarette in 6 1/2 years and I gave up soda a year ago. I drink sparkling waters because I crave the bubbles. I recently had to give up coffee as well because I have IBS problems and coffee sets them off and makes me sick, so I'm pretty much caffeine free as well. If you REALLY want to do it, you can.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    In April 2011, I gave up soda (diet mountain dew was my preference). Also, I have never had coffee in my life...so, essentially, I was cutting out all caffeine at the time. The first few days, I had some hazy caffeine-withdrawal-related haze/headaches...but once I got past those first few days, I was good. And, once I started drinking more and more water...and getting further removed from caffeine and other crap they put in soda....I started having MORE energy during the day. You see, most folks don't realize that caffeine may give you a boost, but it also brings you down. So...gone with caffeine and gone with the up and down energy roller coaster that it brought.

Anyway...you asked how...the answer is that you just have to do it, know its going to suck for a few days (maybe even a week), and believe that you will feel much better after that initial crap 3-7 days.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you want to quit drinking it, then do so. The only physical addiction here is the caffeine. You can choose to drink black tea or coffee to avoid withdrawal. If you enjoy it, then drink it.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was actually JUST about to walk to the store to get a diet coke...but after looking at those teeth in that link....I think I'll just have some water.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Wow. A 3 person study. I'm sure lack of dental hygiene was not a factor.

Comparing it to meth is beyond absurd.
  • nibblesbunny
    nibblesbunny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it anymore. Drink water instead. If you need something flavoured, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your water, or some fresh raspberries.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I quit cold-turkey. Before that, I was drinking 1 or 2 cans a day.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One idea is to buy a soda stream machine and make your own carbonated water; then at least you can get your fizzy fix while you're trying to deal with the caffeine addiction part. (I researched a bit to double check; multiple studies seem to indicate that plain carbonated water is not harmful to your teeth or to the rest of your body. It's the stuff that's often mixed with it--like the cola concentrate--that does the nasty stuff.) The company makes water flavorings, but I quit using them after a while and just started putting my own fresh lemon or lime or orange juice in. And, now I usually just drink it plain!

(For times away from the house, there's always canned carbonated water like La Croix. But, that can get pricy for home use....)
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey! started bringing water with me. Head aches for a few days and then I was good.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet mountain dew after 30-something years of drinking nothing but diet mtn dew; I just quit cold turkey because I found if I even drink one of them then I go on a binge and end up drinking nothing but them again-- you must have a plan, you must have lots of other drinks on hand to consume-- the caffeine withdrawal is completely gone after three days, so you only have to make it 3 DAYS! after than anything you are experiencing is psychological
  • mlreyes_09
    Options
    Watch "Hungry for Change." It's a documentary about the American diet & food industry. They talk a lot about how bad diet soda is for you - and how bad aspartame is for your body.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to give it up? If it's diet it isn't going to help your weight loss and if you are used to the caffeine and you want to quit then you probably want to wean off or go through a couple days of banging headaches.

because those artificial sweeteners in diet soda are death in a can, that's why!
  • danarod23
    danarod23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    agreed!