You just stop and drink water instead.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stop drinking it.

I don't see what the issue is.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    Ok-here is some help... check out what Diet Coke does to your teeth! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/diet-soda-teeth-similar-to-meth-photos_n_3348158.html

Wow. A 3 person study. I'm sure lack of dental hygiene was not a factor.

I love how the news likes to skew study results in their favor and most of them try not to tell you how large the pool was that the study was done on, shameful.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I didn't read everyone's comments...best way to give it up I'd say is to read how it is EXTREMELY bad for you. If that's not enough to give it up, eek! Literally it is killing you from the inside out.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    To start with, stop buying it.

Coke eats corrosion off batteries & scum out of toilets. Imagine what that does to your teeth.
    This

is incorrect.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started realizing that the headaches I was getting every day were in fact not from sleeping too little, but from Diet Coke. I tried not drinking it for a few days, and no headaches! That did it for me.
  • JonfromIndiana
    JonfromIndiana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey in 2012. It was the first thing I did at the start of my weight-loss journey. I drink water and un-sweetened ice tea. You will see a huge reward over time if you do quit it.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey was really effective for me. I cannot drink diet coke anymore. However, i went through horrible caffeine withdrawls: headaches, fatigue, and irritability. And it lasted an entire week. Totally brutal. I would reccomend following the easing-off advice that other MFP-ers are reccomending. The withdrawls really suck.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. Not worth it.
  • syk48
    syk48 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have the same problem . I drank a lot more than that but I'm down to drinking 1large from Mcdonalds a day. I'm still working on I I it and since I stopped drinking so much my blood pressure has gone way down.
  • chadderack
    Options
    To start with, stop buying it.

Coke eats corrosion off batteries & scum out of toilets. Imagine what that does to your teeth.
    This

is incorrect.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Agreed. A lot of folk wisdom in this thread.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Remove can from mouth.

Step 2: Pry fingers from can.

Step 3: Throw the can away.

Step 4: Win.
  • notsofatroxy55
    notsofatroxy55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT! I did it I use to drink at least 2 or three diet cokes a day, I exchanged it for sparkling waters and iced green tea. You can do it if you really want to. Its not good for you at all.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    1. Don't buy it.
    2. Don't open the can/bottle.
    3. Don't put it to your lips.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The way I got myself off of regular soda (I never drank diet soda, tastes awful to me) was I switched to homemade sweet tea. Then with each batch I gradually decreased the amount of sugar I added until I was drinking unsweetened. Then I hopped over to water because it's free in restaurants and I'm a cheapskate.
  • purplemoonmyst
    purplemoonmyst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. I drank a gallon of diet coke a day then I started on the whole30 and gave it up. It took a couple of weeks to get over withdrawal symptoms.
  • lmarbley
    lmarbley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did...cold turkey.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice (with diet pepsi).

The first time was because I wanted to be caffeine-free during pregnancy. I couldn't go cold turkey because I'd get horrible caffeine withdrawal headaches. I used to have a DP first thing in the morning, another with lunch, and one later in the day. The first day I skipped my morning DP, and went as long as I could until the headache set in, and then I'd have one (mid-morning.) The second day i made it till noon. Eventually, I didn't need the caffeine at all. I would still occasionally have a caffeine-free DP, just to treat myself to the taste.

Ten years later, I had built back up to at least one DP every day. This time, I went cold turkey but drank tea (usually green tea) to get through the caffeine withdrawals. I will still have a DP every once in a while, but I consider it a special treat, and usually drink only water with my meals.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are suggesting cold turkey and health-wise, that's probably the best way. However, it might be painful to have caffeine withdrawal, so maybe gradually would work better for you. Or have some advil/exedrin/tylenol available in case of headache. I gave up caffeine when I was pregnant, and prepared for it by tapering back on coffee to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headache.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a six pack a day. Don't bring it in the house, and give it up cold turkey. I drank iced tea and sparkling water. You can do it!

Good luck. :drinker: