Mind Blown! Serious diet confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yep, this thread explains well why I’m not on WW anymore. Back in the 90s/early 00s the points were a little closer to calorie counting, but now with so many “free” foods, it just wasn’t manageable to me. Calorie counting ftw!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    CowboySar wrote: »
    I think there is some confusion with the word diet. Diet to me has an end, you follow the diet until you reach your goal, if you can reach your goal. Then you end the diet and revert back to where you were. You were really never taught to eat properly. Now my diet is truly not a diet in a the above sense of the word. I eat what I want and track the calories and macros to meet my goals. My original goal was to lose weight (320lbs to 185lbs), so I ate towards that goal using MFP to track and was consuming 1300-1600 cals per day. I allowed my self some indulgences and never worried about just made them fit. My new goal is bulking and putting on LBM so I have more than doubled my calories at this point and am consuming about 3300 per day now. Again tracking and monitoring the results. Believe it or not the first 2 weeks eating 3300 plus cals a day I still dropped 2 lbs.

You know, I just had this shower thought today... English isn’t my first language, and I realized something that might be the reason for a lot of confusion for native English-speakers. In my native Finnish, and I suppose in several other languages as well, there are two completely different words for 1) diet, as in I’m on a gluten-free diet for the rest of my life due to having the celiac disease and this is simply how I eat and 2) diet, as in I’m on this 6-week-long zero-sugar/high-fat/paleo/Atkins/cabbage soup diet, which will end after I’m done with the diet period. When I read Finnish health articles, or really anything weight-loss related, the choice of words itself will reveal if we are talking about things like permanently adding more vegetables to your overall diet, or some sort of temporary thing. English language doesn’t do that so directly.

I’m not on a diet either, I do have some permanent dietary requirements that I live with, and on top of that I’m working on slowly changing my diet to include more vegetables and less meat & starches. This is the type of ”diet” that will have the same end date that my tombstone, not the kind I’d have marked on my calendar.

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yep, this thread explains well why I’m not on WW anymore. Back in the 90s/early 00s the points were a little closer to calorie counting, but now with so many “free” foods, it just wasn’t manageable to me. Calorie counting ftw!

I lost 60 lbs after having my daughter back in 2003 on weight watchers and it was no where near as restrictive as it is now. It is a completely different set of rules. Not sustainable if you ask me.