Handstand Challenge

Replies

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    @Contrary_MaryM That sounds like a great technique. I always do better when I have a spotter that doesn't actually hold me.

Today was my handstand class. It always makes me happy especially I can feel myself making progress and I feel like all the things i do to improve my mobility and balance is actually paying off.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    More handstands at yoga today. I managed to hold one for at least 30 seconds (wish I’d actually timed it), with a bit of help. One of the reasons I stayed up so long is my instructor came over to chat to my partner about how she was assisting me. Rather than lightly holding my hips to help me balance, she placed her hand between my ankles and had me squeeze it as hard as I could. This meant I kept my balance without her actually holding me!

Very interesting!
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    I dont have the pictures to prove it but I'm still practising and yesterday really 'felt' my way into it........not sure that makes sense out loud! :lol:
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
  • TiisTitanium
    Glad to know people are still doing practicing. I had my handstand/acro class today and i think I gave more advice to people than the instructor about hand positioning and form. Oops - i like her a lot but i really don't rate her teaching technique but I always have fun in the class so I overlook that.

9bzzpj0300y8.jpg

In class today someone complimented me on how bendy my back was which had me all excited that all my daily yoga practice and contortion classes where paying off but when I got home and practiced hollowback handstand and it was the same as has been for months. Oh well. It was still nice for someone to mistakenly think I was flexible.

ppcicnwaymhf.jpg

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Alrighty, I’m going to join. I’m brand new so I’m nowhere near the rest of you all. I’m gonna start with this L stand to let my wrists and shoulders build up some strength.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yay, @hesn92 and welcome!

I've been practicing 5 minutes every day since June 1.

Not much to report the last few days, but I feel I'm definitely getting better incrementally.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i've been practicing a lot. but i have a hard time holding it. lots of hollowback and whatever you call it when you go from hollowback put your feet on the wall and start to look at the floor and then the wall behind you-like a cheststand with your arms straight instead.
    i did l-stands. it's weird to have the foot up. i feel my handstand trying to happen.
  • mom23mangos
    I have good days and bad days. Today was good day and I had some really long holds. Long enough for me to really start to be able to feel the slight movements in different places to keep my balance. Usually I mainly use the bend in my arms to keep me balanced, moving my chest in or out, but today I was able to make microbalances with my core, legs, fingers, etc.
  • Orphia
    Introduced pike pressups today instead of regular.

taxmamm873eg.jpeg

Also I noticed I'm getting better at an L-sit.

w14ynkf9jqc5.jpeg

Handstands OK today but no long holds.

• mom23mangos
    Really nice job on the L-sit @orphia!!!! L-sits kill me. I have been working on them too. I don't know what it's called, but do you ever sit with your back to the wall straight and do the straight leg lifts? I think they are maybe called pike presses? I want to cry every time it hurts so much and my quads start cramping with isolation holds.
  • mom23mangos
    These things!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14EY86EhOU

You can raise one leg at a time, both at a time for reps or do isometric holds. Iso holds with both legs literally makes me want to cry. But it's supposed to be great for prepping for L-sits.
  • TiisTitanium
    edited July 2018
    Ooohh - I do those @mom23mangos - usually in straddle position. They are SO hard.

Looking good @Orphia
  • Orphia
    Thanks, @mom23mangos and @TiisTitanium !

That looks like a challenge - will have to try, but will need to be cautious so I don't affect my running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2018
    yup @mom23mangos @TiisTitanium i teach these at least every other week in my classes in a straddle position. i saw an aerialist i respect doing these on her instagram and decided to give it a go. many of my students find them challenging. if they do not, i make them do leg circles while the legs are raised

i have not found it has affected my running if i make sure to stretch my hip flexors too
  • mom23mangos
    Oh yeah, straddle position kills the outside of the hips. Lets together kills the quads. They both hurt. LOL
  • Orphia
    Two months and two days of 5 minutes practice daily.

A few times of late, I go up into a handstand and am in the perfect position but my brain isn't ready and can't cope and I fall out. Am I explaining that properly?

Tried the seated leg holds. Eek! Straddle is so hard. Daren't hold more than a second!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    Yes, absolutely @Orphia - I do that all the time, let my thoughts overrule my instincts and come down when I could have probably stayed up. Too scared of falling in my case.
  • Orphia
    @ContraryMaryMary Thank you!
  • TiisTitanium
    Yes I go through the same thing regularly. In my handstand class on Wednesday my trainer was trying to make me do a new trick and I was telling her I just can't do it as I have a huge mental block. She made me do it anyway and I was fine. I really need to more positive visualisations about it all as I have the strength and the body positioning but my mind says I am not good enough. Weird.

I am counting down the days to my UK holiday. Hopefully I will get to do some handstands in new and exotic places :)