Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    in running they talk bout how positive self talk is a key to success. probably the same here. and something i need to practice. i am not a fan of handstands and head stands, and i'm adding baby chest stands in low aerial. but if i say good things maybe i'll dislike it less
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes I go through the same thing regularly. In my handstand class on Wednesday my trainer was trying to make me do a new trick and I was telling her I just can't do it as I have a huge mental block. She made me do it anyway and I was fine. I really need to more positive visualisations about it all as I have the strength and the body positioning but my mind says I am not good enough. Weird.

I am counting down the days to my UK holiday. Hopefully I will get to do some handstands in new and exotic places :)

Just watch this over and over and over. And watch the visualization and focus before the final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cF2LyYGDWA
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Insightful, @mbaker566

Nice video @mom23mangos
  • Orphia
    Options
    I think I pinched a nerve doing pike press-ups on July 1. I've had a pain in the neck/back since then when I sit or lie for a long time. Fine when running and moving.

The good news today though is I held a handstand for maybe 12 seconds after one touch of the wall.

https://youtu.be/zt9ccmVHs1s
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Looking beautiful @Orphia ! I'm sorry about your neck pain though. I hope it gets better. I'm still practicing every day. And I'm still inconsistent in nailing my kick ups. πŸ™„

Got a few good holds in today. I fast forwarded my fails. 😜 I also apologize for being half nekkid in most of my videos, but it helps me to see how off my alignment is. I guess I need to invest in some tight shorts. LOL

https://youtu.be/wAiygMd7RvE
  • Orphia
    Options
    @mom23mangos Awesome holds!

Thanks for asking about my neck. It's a lot better the last couple of days after stopping doing the pike press-ups.

Managed an 8 second free hold this morning.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Day 68. My longest hold! 14 seconds, off the wall.

https://youtu.be/rdqhxm2E440
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fantastic @Orphia. You are totally nailing the handstand thing.

Working on some of my handstand variation tonight and finally managed to pull off the chair handstand move so feeling happy with myself
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i got nothing people. i cannot hold to save my life. i'll keep trying

you all are doing great. i see improvement with you guys
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Straight up first time into a 8+ sec handstand!!!

Today my bedroom tomorrow the world!!! :smile:
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    That's awesome @Tallawah_ !!!! Got to love sticking it on the first attempt.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Still doing 5 min stretching, strengthening, and handstands daily.

Today my wall holds were crappy, then I tried a free handstand for the first time in about a week, and held one for 3-4 seconds first try, so I was happy about that.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Aug 01 – 5 min inc pike press-ups
    Aug 02 – 5 min
    Aug 03 – 5 min
    Aug 04 – 5 min inc 12 seconds off wall
    Aug 05 – 5 min inc straight into 8 second hold
    Aug 06 – 5 min inc forearm headstand
    Aug 07 – 5 min inc 14 seconds off wall
    Aug 08 – 5 min
    Aug 09 – 5 min
    Aug 10 – 5 min inc 3 second free
    Aug 11 – 5 min
    Aug 12 – 5 min inc Crow & free
    Aug 13 – 5 min inc Crow & free
    Aug 14 – 5 min inc Crow & free
    Aug 15 – 5 min inc Crow & free
    qdsv9jlaxph4.jpeg
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Must have been a crane/crow day. I threw some in today too.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    great work :smile:
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Beautiful lines @Orphia. Today was a good handstand day for me. My average hold is increasing to ~7-10sec. I got some nice long 20-30sec holds today too.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've been a stalker since page 1, but I'd actually like to participate.

How do I even start?? I can kick up into a handstand but can't stay up without wall assistance. I can do a headstand with very minimal wall assistance.

Should l just keeping kicking up into a wall handstand and trying to move away from the wall?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Side note: I am also trying to learn to do the splits, but I don't see a group for that. If anyone has any tips on that too, that's be great.

Thanks all!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Welcome @Go_Deskercise !!! I think it's best to practice facing the wall at the beginning. Walk your legs up the wall and hold for as long as you can. Also, if you can do an L-stand, that is great practice - walk your legs up the wall until torso is directly over your shoulders/hands and your legs make a right angle. There are some great pics in here of people doing that.

Shoulder and thoracic mobility are key to successful handstands - otherwise they are really ugly like mine where I have to power through on bicep strength rather than good form.

Also - we DO have a splits challenge going on. It's just been fairly quiet over there recently.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661835/30-day-splits-training-challenge#latest
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Go_Deskercise !!! I think it's best to practice facing the wall at the beginning. Walk your legs up the wall and hold for as long as you can. Also, if you can do an L-stand, that is great practice - walk your legs up the wall until torso is directly over your shoulders/hands and your legs make a right angle. There are some great pics in here of people doing that.

Shoulder and thoracic mobility are key to successful handstands - otherwise they are really ugly like mine where I have to power through on bicep strength rather than good form.

Also - we DO have a splits challenge going on. It's just been fairly quiet over there recently.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661835/30-day-splits-training-challenge#latest

Eeeek I find facing the wall completely terrifying lol. If I fall backwards then there is nothing there to stop me from flopping to the ground. I guess that's a fear I'm going to need to get use too!

Thank you for the help and the link to the splits challenge!!