Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i use the yoga wheel and hammock for my back flexibility which is poor
    v0wix953r4fs.png

I worked on l-stands and fabric supported handstands. also did dolphin to work on headstands. balance is really not a strong point for me
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I am back to practicing my handstands and I got a little cocky and went off the wall.... It took me a couple tries to get up because I was scared of falling over, but I got up and held it for a second or two. Went again but this time I went over and I can say that my back just doesn't bend that way anymore. A little sore today from falling, so I think I will stick to the wall for a bit longer.

Any suggestions on how to get my back to bend in a back bend again?? I'm only 32 and I feel 82 LOL
    After I fell I decided to stretch my back a bit and tried doing back bends from the ground, but my arms are very weak and it was hard to hold myself up.

@Go_Deskercise Like @mom23mangos I bail out by twisting out like a cartwheel.

After too much back-bending doing gymnastics growing up, my back is a bit temperamental, so I don't do back bends.

I'm still doing pretty well with my handstands, so don't let that stop you from trying away from the wall.

Mind you, I do a lot of practice against the wall, because you can stay upside down longer and improve your wrist, fingers, and form for longer than a couple of seconds like free handstanding.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried to get a handstand, I just have poor wrist strength and flexibility.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @MommyLifts3 - sounds like you need to build this up. It is one of the hardest things when you are first starting out. Check out these exercises and stretches :smile:

https://gmb.io/wrists/

@Go_Deskercise - i am a big fan of the wall. It is my BFF when it comes to practice and building strength and confidence. On the back bend issue. I doing yoga every morning and I practice back bends on my yoga wheel (which I love big time) to try and overcome my lack of flexibility. Maybe try starting off with camel poses before you move into wheel pose/backbend.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @MommyLifts3 - sounds like you need to build this up. It is one of the hardest things when you are first starting out. Check out these exercises and stretches :smile:

https://gmb.io/wrists/

@Go_Deskercise - i am a big fan of the wall. It is my BFF when it comes to practice and building strength and confidence. On the back bend issue. I doing yoga every morning and I practice back bends on my yoga wheel (which I love big time) to try and overcome my lack of flexibility. Maybe try starting off with camel poses before you move into wheel pose/backbend.

Thanks so much for the article! I do have wrist pain when doing push ups as well. I'm going to implement these stretches.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i love the yoga wheel as well. i use it whenever i have free time at the studio. and the infinity straps (see photo in previous post)
  • YourJuneInJan
    YourJuneInJan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 what are infinity straps? Can’t find previous post
  • mbaker566
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @YourJuneInJan
    it is a strap with 2 loops that look like an infinity symbol
    i use it to improve my gazelles and king pigeons
    fmo4pmvg8wv0.png
  • TiisTitanium
    edited November 2018
    Options

Looking good there @mbaker566. You are making me miss aerial yoga!

I have an infinity strap as well and it is so useful for improving stretches - though if i had to choose between props the yoga wheel would come out on top.

yk5bb6lng1rn.jpg

ETA - why has my avatar turned into a chess piece. Weird.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/0Dd1QaxiQx0

15 second hold off the wall today. Yay.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    wohoo. nice :)
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Very nice @Orphia. Glad to see people are still practicing and keeping the thread alive :)

I am making good progress with my tuck handstands and press handstand though slow progress with holding my balance for an extended period of time. My teacher says I have beautiful straight lines so hopefully it is just a matter of time before that clicks into place. I have been focusing on weightlifting for the past few weeks and really think it is helping (along with the ballet of course).
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i'm still practicing. i've found an aerial handstand helps me on the ground. don't know why. but i feel more confident on the ground.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ugh, my handstand game has been seriously off the past couple of weeks. I don't know why. But I'm still plugging away.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    My handstands have been looking up this week! Getting a good stick on the first or second attempt most times with 20-30sec holds.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Still working on it! :sweat_smile:

https://youtu.be/PLg7YLskcxo
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Nice long hold @Tallawah_ !!!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i am still no closer.
    (splits are going well)
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Consistency is getting better. At least when I'm not tired. I seem to be sticking an average 10s hold on most first or second attempts.