June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i was considering making a path in my backyard so i can do little laps in the backyard

I'd considered doing the same thing. Set out a sprinkler... But it'd drive my dogs nuts!
    "Where we goin'? Where we goin'? Where we goin'? Already been there. Already been there. Already been there. I'ma sit and just watch you go no where..."
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    i was considering making a path in my backyard so i can do little laps in the backyard

I'd considered doing the same thing. Set out a sprinkler... But it'd drive my dogs nuts!
    "Where we goin'? Where we goin'? Where we goin'? Already been there. Already been there. Already been there. I'ma sit and just watch you go no where..."

That sounds really boring. My normal route in town is to go to the park (about 1.6 miles when I go the long way), then do loops (1 mile around). I try to change it up since there is a criss-cross in the middle - so I can do figure 8's sometimes to change direction. But I'm already getting really bored with this... it is pretty close to treadmill boring. Since I should have time, I'm going to head out of town for my long run this weekend and run somewhere I've only been one or a few times.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 9.51 miles (4.5 miles of hill repeats)
    June 2 – 7.82 miles (trails)
    June 4 – 5.02 miles
    June 6 – 5 miles
    June 7 – 5.07 miles
    June 11 – 7.09 miles
    June 13 – 5 miles
    June 16 – 6.2 miles
    June 18 – 5.03 miles
    June 20 – 5.2 miles
    June 21 – 6.2 miles (Beaver 10K)

Thanks @Scott6255 and @ddmom0811!
    Thanks @PastorVincent! This picture was before that last hilly mile!
    @BruinsGal_91 – Great pace on your challenge run last night even if it was slower than last year! Glad you had fun.
    Welcome @runningSalmon!
    Good luck in your race tomorrow @cburke8909

Upcoming Races:
    July 17 – Wolf Run
    September 1 – Iron Mountain 16-Miler
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Options

That sounds really boring. My normal route in town is to go to the park (about 1.6 miles when I go the long way), then do loops (1 mile around). I try to change it up since there is a criss-cross in the middle - so I can do figure 8's sometimes to change direction. But I'm already getting really bored with this... it is pretty close to treadmill boring. Since I should have time, I'm going to head out of town for my long run this weekend and run somewhere I've only been one or a few times.

I do have some technical challenges in my yard. A ravine and loads of trees. It would get dull quickly. Or go ADD and I'd have to grab the chainsaw to clear out/cut back an area, or haul felled trees or wanna gather the leaves 3 feet deep in a low area. Then id complain to DH that i want a fence, or fill dirt or an area terraced. Haha! Its just be a yard work day!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options

I do have some technical challenges in my yard. A ravine and loads of trees. It would get dull quickly. Or go ADD and I'd have to grab the chainsaw to clear out/cut back an area, or haul felled trees or wanna gather the leaves 3 feet deep in a low area. Then id complain to DH that i want a fence, or fill dirt or an area terraced. Haha! Its just be a yard work day!

Just think of the workout that would be and the calories you could burn though! You might end up with a place for track type workouts - just sayin :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Just think of the workout that would be and the calories you could burn though! You might end up with a place for track type workouts - just sayin :wink:

It would definitely lend opportunity to trail racing!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    6/1/2018 rest
    6/2/2018 2.65 miles
    6/3/2018 9.05 miles

6/4/2018 rest
    6/5/2018 3 miles
    6/6/2018 2.1 miles
    6/7/2018 2.5 miles
    6/8/2018 2 miles
    6/9/2018 2.15 miles
    6/10/2018 2 miles

6/11/2018 rest
    6/12/2018 poor planning
    6/13/2018 poor planning
    6/14/2018 2.4 miles
    6/15/2018 2.75 miles
    6/16/2018 2.5 miles
    6/17/2018 10 miles

6/18/2018 rest
    6/19/2018 4 miles
    6/20/2018 2.9 miles
    6/21/2018 2.8 miles
    6/22/2018 3 miles

Total 55.8 miles /80-85

I was scheduled for hill repetitions of 1 minute zone 5 and 2 minutes recovery. I decided to just d them on my normal route since my incline is barely long enough for 30 seconds. I did incorporate 3 different inclines into the 8 repetitions. My legs were dead and my recovery turned from super sliw jog for 2 minutes to walk at least 30 seconds then slow jog.

I once tried to run in my backyard. It's waaaaaaaay too small. I got bored after about 2 laps/5ish minutes. It was just to warm up for weights but might as well jog in place.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk last night because it was hot hot hot and then found about 2km in that it had turned into perfect running weather because a breeze sprang up and clouds rolled in. But I wasn't wearing running gear :(.

No run this morning - thunderstorm. Supposed to be stormy all day but I optimistically brought my kit to work and I'll run home if it doesn't look too threatening out. Otherwise I guess I'm watching for a break in the clouds all evening!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I have this obstacle in my yard from a storm a couple weeks ago. I've since cut some of the small branches off, but the main part remains until a co-worker comes with his chainsaw to use for firewood.

7pad3zocbvw3.jpg
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Goal is 30 miles by the 30th.
    June 18- Easy 3 miles 35:10
    June 19- 3.2 miles 38:20 Took it easy- HIIT class tonight.
    June 20- Another easy 3 miles in 36:00 as I am sore from my knees to my neck from last nights HIIT class :#
    June 21- 4.65 Miles 47:12 Hill intervals
    June 22- Upper body strength. No run

Race goal- The Moose Is Loose 10K trail run July 14. Under an hour.

@PastorVincent and @RunsOnEspresso - Ha! I thought about that when I posted! This is the Canadian version of packing ;)
    @shanaber - Thanks! My mother in law makes them. I think she may have been Amish in a past life- she definitely has a talent.
  • chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    Options

6/4- 3.25
    6/5- 3.25
    6/6- 4.26
    6/7- 2.0
    6/8- 4.25
    6/18- 3.25
    6/19- 2.16
    6/21- 2.0
    6/22- 3.12

Total: 27.56/50
    Days: 9/20

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I have this obstacle in my yard from a storm a couple weeks ago. I've since cut some of the small branches off, but the main part remains until a co-worker comes with his chainsaw to use for firewood.

7pad3zocbvw3.jpg

I'm thinking Steeplechase

@girlinahat I love that!!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    June goal: 75 miles

6/3: 6.5 miles
    6/5: 4.3 miles
    6/6: 4.5 miles
    6/7: 5 miles
    6/10: 7.2 miles
    6/12: 4.3 miles
    6/13: 4.5 miles
    6/14: 4.5 miles
    6/15: 3.4 miles
    6/17: 6.5 miles
    6/19: 5.2 miles
    6/20: 5 miles
    6/21: 4.3 miles
    6/22: 4.6 miles

69.8/75 miles

I ran 4.6 miles this morning. It wasn't quite as humid as yesterday, but it was still a tough run. I felt slow and then I was annoyed because I was playing Zombie's Run and about 3/4 of the way through my phone just shut off. I lost the entire episode and I didn't have time to start it over from the beginning.

@teresa502 That is an awesome race photo!

@BruinsGal_91 Sorry your race started out bad, but glad you had fun!

@girlinahat Good luck on the race. It looks like lots of fun!

@skippygirlsmom Good luck to you and Skip tomorrow!

@midwesterner85 That's a heck of an obstacle!

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Thanks for the thanks from people and good luck to everyone else racing or even just getting out for a run this weekend.

@fitoverfortymom – the guys that organise my race tomorrow tend to make it more like a family fun event (although this one is around the Cerne Abbas Giant, he’s an ancient monument with a particularly LARGE appendage so there’ll be quite a lot of rude references all weekend….) There’s dancing, crazy races and silly starts, whilst still being super well organised and managed races.
    @skippygirlsmom George is a baton for a relay. So there’s something called a ‘Frolic’ race, where you run laps, and can run these in teams as a relay. Each lap is around 10k, and last year there were people trying to do their first 50 miler like that. Rather than an ordinary baton, they decided (because the Race Director is nuts) to use squeaky toys. People collect them. I kid you not. As to why a female cow is called George.....too much reading of Enid Blyton as a kid. I plan to collect others and name them Julian, Dick, Ann and Timmy....

That sounds like such a fun weekend! Hope you have a wonderful time and happy running!