June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    That does sound annoying. It might be out of your comfort zone, but maybe try speaking up, in a nice way, with a smile. The walkers especially might not realize they're in your way. A friendly-sounding "Excuse me!" MIGHT help. But the guy with the uncontrollable dog would scare me.

Then I made coffee. I am on my second cup, and I am not a coffee drinker. I will probably regret this decision later. It did give me some great comebacks for @shanaber 's trail associates, but I deleted them ;) I wouldn't actually say any of them. I would just think of them after I was already past the person and the moment to say it was gone, and then kick myself for not being more assertive. Oh well.
    @polskagirl01 - The walkers were coming towards me! I do say hello and excuse me when coming up behind someone. I figure they are enjoying the trail and don't see us behind them. Although no one should walk 4 across especially with cyclists also using the trail!
    On the comebacks... Hahahahaha that is So totally me. While I am running and even sometimes after I get home I think of all these things I'm gonna say, wanna say and never end up saying! :lol:

Oh dear, they were coming towards you! [Facepalm] Does that mean you can just run right into them?

Congrats @KeepRunningFatboy ! Way to go meeting your specific time goal!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Awesome time @cburke8909 for your HM! Great that you beat your goal!
    Congrats @KeepRunningFatboy on your HM goal too!
    You guys are crushing it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Race report later but made my goal 1:39:57 official time 3 seconds under goal.

YAY! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    New Castle Half Race Report:
    Arrived early. Used some time to just walk around and listen to some tunes. Race starts at 8:30 am. At 8:05 am I began jogging lightly. Jogged 2 miles EZ pace before the start and lined up at the back. The goal is to run 2:00-2:05. I just want to see 9:30 or less for each split. So yeah, 3 miles out Northeast and back, then about 3.5 miles Southwest out and back. Not all roads have traffic control, really small event. But they did have water and popsicles at some tables. 70 degrees, a little humid, and barely noticeable breeze. So I made my goal, finished in about 2:01.

One thing that I often do is use “races” as training runs. Today was half marathon number 73. I had a great time.

Well done!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Late to the party but signed up to he Great north Run in September. Slow, overweight runner but still getting out 😊. Decided today that I was going to try and run every day up to September - even if it’s just a mile and then found this group!

Welcome to the group!!!!
  • Scott6255
    Options
    Great race report @cburke8909. Yes, family cheering on the sidelines is THE greatest motivator!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    That does sound annoying. It might be out of your comfort zone, but maybe try speaking up, in a nice way, with a smile. The walkers especially might not realize they're in your way. A friendly-sounding "Excuse me!" MIGHT help. But the guy with the uncontrollable dog would scare me.

Then I made coffee. I am on my second cup, and I am not a coffee drinker. I will probably regret this decision later. It did give me some great comebacks for @shanaber 's trail associates, but I deleted them ;) I wouldn't actually say any of them. I would just think of them after I was already past the person and the moment to say it was gone, and then kick myself for not being more assertive. Oh well.
    @polskagirl01 - The walkers were coming towards me! I do say hello and excuse me when coming up behind someone. I figure they are enjoying the trail and don't see us behind them. Although no one should walk 4 across especially with cyclists also using the trail!
    On the comebacks... Hahahahaha that is So totally me. While I am running and even sometimes after I get home I think of all these things I'm gonna say, wanna say and never end up saying! :lol:

Oh dear, they were coming towards you! [Facepalm] Does that mean you can just run right into them?

Congrats @KeepRunningFatboy ! Way to go meeting your specific time goal!

I always seem to have the same issues with walkers coming toward me. They don't want to move over and wait until the absolute LAST moment to do so. And I refuse to step off the sidewalk. So annoying.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @cburke8909 dang you fast! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats
    06/07/18 -
    06/08/18 - 0 :(
    06/09/18 - 12 miles @ 9:29
    06/10/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:22
    06/11/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/12/18 - 0
    06/13/18 - 10 miles @ 9:26
    06/14/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/19/18 - 7.2 miles @ 9:50
    06/20/18 - 0
    06/21/18- 10 miles @ 9:10
    06/22/18 - 0
    06/23/18 - 11 miles @ 9:33

Upcoming Races:

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Well done avioding the ER @skippygirlsmom ! That is always a win! :D Congrats to Skip too!
  • Scott6255
    Options
    Nice job @skippygirlsmom on your 5k, and congrats to Skip on her 1st place AG and 109 overall! Good looking pictures. Way to go ladies!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso yeah on under 14!
    @RespectTheKitty great job on the hour run.
    @Shanaber I was complaining about the same thing at the Greenway last week. I understand if you don’t see me coming behind you, but good night you are coming right at me. Give me a lane.
    @Scott6255 good news on the Achilles
    @biketheworld I carry pepper spray too for the dang dogs not the people
    @cburke8909 woohoo!! Great report
    @KeepRunningFatboy great HM! 73 is impressive!
    @garygse hard to believe you were hurt and couldn’t run not too long ago, fantastic mileage
    Thanks @PastorVincent and @Scott6255