Is walking every day enough?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Due to my extreme morbid obesity walking is just about all I can do at the moment. I do go to the gym once a week but do not fit onto / into most machines. However I can do water aerobics and it feels good for my joints.

that's great. if it works for you, keep it up. :smile:
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    What the heck is wrong with slow weight loss? Losing too rapidly isn't good for your body or your hunger levels.
    There's a difference between slow and inefficiently slow. One should strive to lose weight at a moderate rate. Walking, however, is a really inefficient way to lose weight in comparison to other forms of exercise.

"But I lost 60 lbs by walking!" some would say. Good for you, but you could have probably done that more quickly with some full body workouts and some more vigorous forms or cardio --- all without losing weight too rapidly.

Why would doing it more quickly be better ??
    Why would doing it more inefficiently be better?

Time is limited and very few people come anywhere close to losing the maximum amount of fat per week. The more quickly you can lose the fat -- within a safe margin, that is -- the better.
    What the heck is wrong with slow weight loss? Losing too rapidly isn't good for your body or your hunger levels.
    There's a difference between slow and inefficiently slow. One should strive to lose weight at a moderate rate. Walking, however, is a really inefficient way to lose weight in comparison to other forms of exercise.

"But I lost 60 lbs by walking!" some would say. Good for you, but you could have probably done that more quickly with some full body workouts and some more vigorous forms or cardio --- all without losing weight too rapidly.

Time is limited and very few people come anywhere close to losing the maximum amount of fat per week. The more quickly you can lose the fat -- within a safe margin, that is -- the better.

I disagree that doing it slowly is doing it inefficiently.

and I disagree that the more quickly you can lose fat, even within a safe margin, the better.

Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint - and not a competitive race.
    Of course, it's a marathon. That's why you shouldn't lose weight at an unrealistic, unhealthy pace. At anything short of that though, faster and more efficient is better than slower and less efficient.
    What is better is individual -the way and the pace that suits the individual.
    That is true insofar as personal preferences and limitations are concerned. Some people might really like Zumba and would stick with it longer, for example. That has more to do with one's mindset than any inherent superiority in going slowly though (again, within the constraint that one shouldn't lose weight at an unhealthy pace).

Or some people might have joint issues that prevent them from doing anything more vigorous. In this case though, it's not a question of losing weight more slowly being better. Rather, this is simply a case wherein one's personal limitations might limit one's options (and even then, there are generally more efficient alternatives, such as low-impact interval training, that provide more bang for the buck than walking alone would).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I disagree that doing it slowly is doing it inefficiently.

and I disagree that the more quickly you can lose fat, even within a safe margin, the better.

Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint - and not a competitive race.
    Of course, it's a marathon. That's why you shouldn't lose weight at an unrealistic, unhealthy pace. At anything short of that though, faster and more efficient is better than slower and less efficient.
    What is better is individual -the way and the pace that suits the individual.
    That is true insofar as personal preferences and limitations are concerned. Some people might really like Zumba and would stick with it longer, for example. That has more to do with one's mindset than any inherent superiority in going slowly though (again, within the constraint that one shouldn't lose weight at an unhealthy pace).

Or some people might have joint issues that prevent them from doing anything more vigorous. In this case though, it's not a question of losing weight more slowly being better. Rather, this is simply a case wherein one's personal limitations might limit one's options (and even then, there are generally more efficient alternatives, such as low-impact interval training, that provide more bang for the buck than walking alone would).

How about we just say you win the thread? Efficient exercise is always better, and that's what we should all be doing, within any unavoidable constraints of whatever our physical limitations or preferences are. We'll even use your definition of "efficient", where even low impact intervals are clearly better than walking.

If OP bailed on the thread, I think I understand why.

Sorry, I should have disengaged sooner.
  • fotogyrl25
    fotogyrl25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your psyche and can be an easy way to incorporate some exercise. If your goal is weight loss, as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. It may be slow, but you will lose weight whether you exercise or not.

I've done walking, weight lifting, running, and tennis. Some are considered better calorie burners than others, but I don't think that is the only thing to think about. In the past, I have often tried to do as much "working out" as possible and did not put a lot of effort into watching what I ate. This did not work for weight loss. I also tore my calf muscle and couldn't do any exercise for months.

Now that I'm in my 40s, my focus is sustainability. I do not want my life to revolve around the gym like when I was in my 20s. I watch what I eat AND I do exercise I enjoy. I love tennis, so I play tennis year round. I also walk, swim, and sometimes run a little, play with the kids, do squats while making dinner, lift weights while watching my favorite shows.

So to answer your question, "Is walking enough?" It may be. It depends on your goals.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is not more efficient if it is too much and the person gets injured
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone took offence.
    Disagreeing with you is not taking offence.

I don't think anyone claimed walking for half hour would burn more calories than running for same time, did they?
    No, which is why I never claimed that anyone said such a thing. Rather, I was disagreeing with stanmann571's claim that the difference is negligible -- "not generally enough to matter," to use his exact words. The difference is substantial, especially when running at higher speeds on a regular basis. Again, the numbers that he cited don't prove his case, for reasons that I already explained.
    Dismissing the numbers out of hand isn't explaining anything.

If you want to present a different numerical analysis by all means do so.

But handwaving doesn't help your argument.