Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can Sugar Cause Cancer

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    TAMayorga wrote: »
    Anything above 20% is considered high....

I have zero basis on any of this but in opinion, I'm surprised it's 20%. I'd think 20% is quite low. In fact (again no basis)... I'd think 50% chance of almost getting anything is the norm.

Last I knew, lifetime risk of breast cancer was somewhere in the range of 1 in 8 women in the US, plus or minus, just looking at population-wide risk. 20% would be 1 in 5, so substantially higher.

(Men can get breast cancer, too, BTW: It's just that it's fairly rare.)
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of opinions being thrown around here, and I don't know how many are from qualified experts. I know I am not an expert, so I will just say that I try to eat as healthy as I can with lots of veggies and keep my weight in check. I know that I feel better when I avoid junk food. Good luck figuring out what works best for you :)
  • leesakline
    leesakline Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TAMayorga wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Glucose does feed most cancers. In fact PET scans basically just shows where there is very high glucose which is where cancer will be found. If you want the science, look into the Warburg effect.

As I understand, highers insulin and glucose levels does tend to make it a bit easier for cancer to get a hold rather than being eliminated as it normally is. Glucose is the main building block of all carbs like flours, sugars, veggies and fruits.

Researchers are looking into using very low carb diets as complimentary cancer therapy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/ It makes sense to me that if the diet can be used to help reverse cancer, it could also be used to prevent it.

Could you look into low carb cookies? I've had peanut butter cookies made without any grains or sugars - was quite good.

Thank you for responding. Sadly, these are very specific cookies to which I have become addicted. One option that I am planning to try is protein balls made with oatmeal, nut butter, dark chocolate chips, and protein powder. They might give me the "decadent jolt" that I get from my current treat, without some of the problems associated with processed junk food.

• leesakline
    leesakline Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have made these protein balls many times! They are rich and in my opinion, will satisfy the craving!! I have mine with hot tea or iced coffee and enjoy!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @nvmomketo Glucose is used by cancer cells for fuel because glucose is used by all cells in the body as fuel. It's not like that sets cancer cells apart from healthy cells, which I think is what your post made it sound like.

All I will add is what I think is imperative to add, which is that NO ONE should rely solely on diet to treat cancer. And that is necessary to say because there are people who are so afraid of chemo and radiation that they refuse them for more "natural" treatment. And while there are folks who claim they cured their own cancer, there are also people who die of cancer while eating a special diet or drinking green juice. Diet should be used as a complimentary treatment under the care of a board certified oncologist. There is a burgeoning industry of anti-oncology woo peddlers taking advantage of sick people and it's reprehensible.

Sorry, but that is personally one of my easy to push buttons, I'll step down off my soapbox now!

Ahh. I see. Thank you. I just meant to imply that cancer uses more glucose (fuel) than most cells. They are hungry cells.

I do understand it that with mitochondrial malfunction, cancer cells are often more reliant on glucose as a fuel than the more metabolically flexible, typical body cell (beyond obligate glucose users like RBCs).

And yes. Absolutely. Diet should only be considered complimentary to all treatments. There may be the very few that can rely only on diet, but those are few and far between. For the rest, it could be fatal.

It's worth considering that cancer cells are growing/multiplying much more rapidly than normal cells, thus likely use more fuel for that reason, without even considering others.

One of the reasons for side effects from common types of chemotherapy is that the chemotherapeutic interventions target fast-growing cells, so other (healthy) fast-growing cells tend to suffer more than slow-growing ones. Thus the commonness of digestive system side effects, hair loss, mouth sores, etc., all of which depend on fast-growing healthy cells.

True. Agreed.

Those who think you could use low glucose diets as a complimentary therapy wonder what would happen if the fast growing cells are not given enough fuel - what if fermentation is made more difficult? Or if it slows down PARP14? https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms8882

A whole foods lower carb diet usually won't hurt, unless someone is misled and told that it is all they need to recover. Low carb may even help minimize cachexia in some patients in some cancers.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4165433/

I'm with Kimny that cancer patients should consult with and listen to their board-certified oncologist. I know you haven't recommended otherwise, but I'm wanting to underscore it. It's common for cancer centers to have RDs on staff to consult with patients. I found the RD at my cancer center very knowledgeable and helpful.

There are a lot of nuances to dietary interventions as complementary therapies. Certain cancers, and certain mainstream treatments, can require or contraindicate certain foods, supplements, or eating strategies. I don't think people who haven't been through it really appreciate that.

Absolutely.