Hi I’m new here...looking for potato diet followers

Options

Replies

• norasuntich
    norasuntich Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’ll be honest in here. I’ve tried a lot of programs with various degrees of success. Weight watchers was too much work with the points etc. T benefit of this plan is freedom from making food choices. No longer do I have to read all those labels. No longer do I have to weigh my food. No longer do I have to endure hunger pangs. This is simple and easy to do. I felt a huge relief grocery shopping. It’s tremendously stressful to shop the old way. Hope it makes sense.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    1200 calories of potatoes: requires 1.6kg of potatoes for the day (that's 3.52lbs)

1.6g of fat
    25.6g of protein
    No B12 or vitamin D, low in other elements as well. Hit several other vitamins and minerals though.

12a7reqc6ht4.png
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i just mentioned this to my boyfriend and he heard about it as well on a podcast (he's not on it). He mentioned it's a mental challenge to get your body used to eating the same thing. And that the movie star , I think Kevin?, would just eat the potatoes plain. Good luck and let us know how it pans out for you. I love sweet potatoes but it would be hard for me to just eat potatoes. Are you on it for two weeks? That probably won't be too bad. It would be hard to sustain long term.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m curious. What would be a good source of information ?
    In the article they strongly do not recommend doing it long term. I don’t intend to do so because I know a lack of fat and protein would affect me. But it’s a choice. I don’t particularly think being eating hi protein is that great either for you but some folks swear by it.

too little protein like what you are doing isnt healthy either. as for high protein from the research and studies I have done there is no mention of a certain amount of protein that is too much unless you have kidney issues. but its recommended to get at least .6-.8 grams per lb of body weight,some say upwards of 1g or more when losing weight.

you need to find peer reviewed scientific sources a good one is www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. listening to articles written by people whom most of them do not have any background in nutrition or anything else and should be avoided. same with celebrity diets most of them are crap .

I eat upwards as much as 150g of protein a day and have had no ill effects on my health. Then there is also this that happens with too little protein intake and not enough of the right nutrients https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kwashiorkor/ although this might not happen short term. look up what can happen from too little protein intake
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Yes two weeks. Then I will expand to fruits veggies perhaps beans lean protein almond milk nuts. So far I haven’t been bored. I do season potatoes. And the sweet tatoes are my dessert.
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Diets tried. WW Atkins calorie counting in general which really involved food diary like we do here.
    I do intend to incorporate the food groups in the future. And Exercise. And know that I’m not perfect and will fall off the wagon.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    First congratulations for deciding it was time to do something, anything to make a change. That is the first step of the journey. And do not kid yourself it is a journey. It is not a diet to lose weight because if you look at it through glasses that say it has a beginning and an end date, it will not really work. Says the wise woman who I bet at 59 has tried as many if not more bizarre diets/fads than you have. But what I have learned through all my yo-yoing is they really are false and do not work. Sure took a long time. And the number of times I tried WW is kind of comical. I do not remember the potato one, but I remember eating bananas for a week, followed by hot dogs for a week, and then eggs for a week. Foods to this day I hardly ever eat at all. Starchy vegetables in the long run is not good for anyones health. No matter what some celebrity states. I also have more than 100 lbs to lose. And in first month on here followed the lifestyle change my Dr. put me on and lost 18 pounds and yes I know that a good amount was water weight from week one. But I have committed to keep logging and eat veges, 1 fruit serving, fat, some protein every day. Yes to lose weight. But biggest reason is for my health and to get off so many medications and see if I can reverse my Type 2 Diabetes. So while trying to lose the weight which is great, please also consider your health and what the food you are eating is doing to your insides.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    Diets tried. WW Atkins calorie counting in general which really involved food diary like we do here.
    I do intend to incorporate the food groups in the future. And Exercise. And know that I’m not perfect and will fall off the wagon.

Why didn't those other diets work for you in the past? That's probably the reason most people are against an all potato diet. Things really don't need to be this difficult or restrictive. I'm assuming you're wanting to lose weight fast and this is working for you, but whether it's healthy or not is debatable. Your health is the main thing, not your weight loss. So I hope your doctor is aware of this and you're taking care of yourself overall.
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Thanks Maureen. I too have tried WW multiple times. I had to chuckle at your mono diets. I don’t think I could do them. Tell me. Is starch that bad for you? Every one seems against it. I think you need some in your daily intake. Anyway if I quit I will concede defeat. But right now I’m happy doing it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    At the very least, add some butter, cheese, sour cream, maybe even some bacon or other proteins and fats to your potato. Carbs are the macros you can most easily do without and not have any ill health effects. You need protein and fats.

xp414lzynd14.jpg
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Paperdoll, I just wanted to do a program that was easy. Its not only regular potatoes but sweet potatoes. Atkins made me sick and constipated. wW was too hard and involved label reading. I appreciate everyone’s comments. I think I needed a quick validation that I could lose weight.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    Paperdoll, I just wanted to do a program that was easy. Its not only regular potatoes but sweet potatoes. Atkins made me sick and constipated. wW was too hard and involved label reading. I appreciate everyone’s comments. I think I needed a quick validation that I could lose weight.

I know you won't be doing this potato diet forever. I hope you succeed long term with your goals! Best of luck.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are terrible for diabetics.

If you want to lose 100 pounds, eventually you're going to have to do something that's sustainable long-term. If you want to waste two weeks before you start your real diet, it probably won't hurt you all that much. But it's a waste of two weeks. When you feel like doing something realistic to actually lose the weight let us know.
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Thanks kimny72. I’ll do that. The easy part is losing. The really hard part is maintaining.
This discussion has been closed.