Is 2 hours too much?

Options
Hello!

I'm trying to lose fat and gain some muscles. I pretty much have equal muscle and fat (too much fat).

So my schedule is normally hitting the gym for 15 mins warm up, follow by 45 mins strength training. Then I do 45 mins of cardio.

My question is, is doing the cardio after the strength training too much? Should I be separating them? Like one day just cardio (treadmill for ex) and another day for strength?

I eat very well after training and often don't feel dead on the next day so it's not exhausting my body so far...

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day and add strength in 4 times currently. Only you can know if it's workable or not by doing it and seeing how you feel.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When you say you want to lose fat and gain muscle, you are trying to maintain your weight and recomp? You want to make sure you fuel yourself and actually stay at maintenance (vs in a deficit). So extra cardio is fine, as long as you eat accordingly.

Also as long as the cardio isn't affecting your lifting workouts and recovery (which should be priority if you want to change your body composition) it is fine. If you find it too much for you, separating them can help. See how you feel.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're fine, 2 hours is nothing.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you have the time for 2 hr workouts and don’t feel too sore or tired to do it again then go for it. You will need to work in some rest days, they are important too
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this and how many times a week? I assume you're fairly new to this ir you wouldn't need to ask if it was OK. I think for most beginners 2 hours is too much if you're putting forth much effort. I've been working out for 4 years and I wouldn't want to do 45 min heavy strength and 45 min intense cardio back to back.
    If you're not tired after a 2hr workout, perhaps you should be working harder unless you're a well conditioned athlete.
    Most beginners are best off starting with 20-30 min 3x week and gradually build up from there. This builds conditioning and helps prevent fatigue and injury.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I work as a bike courier and added weightlifting about a month or two ago. Yesterday I had an hour strength training at the gym and then rode my bike practically non-stop for 6 hours. Most days when I go to the gym, I do at least two hours of cycling as well, I thought it would be tough but it turned out to be pretty doable.

Just go by how you feel, if you feel overworked or notice any pains in your joints or tendons, slow down a bit. The most important thing is not to injure yourself. Otherwise, you should be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,880 Member
    Options
    My only recommendation is that if 2 hours begins to feel like its too much time in the gym, cut the cardio in half, or move to TABATA circuits on the treadmill or rower and substitute HIIT cardio for long, boring steady state cardio.

Less time and bigger bang for the buck.

Less time, but a bigger fatigue hit (CNS stress), especially as an add-on to weight training. It's a possible choice, but not one I'd recommend, especially for a relatively new exerciser. Even elites don't do intense intervals every day, because it's not the best route to fitness. HIIT's really popular, though, because it's time-efficient, and EPOC is allegedly magic.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    I agree, if you have the time for 2 hr workouts and don’t feel too sore or tired to do it again then go for it. You will need to work in some rest days, they are important too
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If, immediately or after you've been doing it for a few days or couple of weeks, it makes you tired in a way that makes you drag through the rest of your day, or through subsequent workouts, then it's too much.

If it screws up your life balance by dysfunctionally reducing the amount of time or energy you devote to family, job, friends, home chores, and other non-exercise commitments or hobbies (including sleep), then it's too much.

If it isn't something you can imagine yourself continuing for the rest of your life, then it's too much.

There's no "too much" that I can think of that isn't one of those . . . though I may be forgetting something. ;)

If you've got the hours in the day, and you're not feeling fatigued. Then it's not too much.

If it hits on any of Ann's checklist items then it's too much.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't think 2 hours is too much at all. I actually split my workouts, I lift in the morning for 45 mins, then do about 45 mins of cardio in the afternoon after work. If you feel fine then there is no reason to second guess. Listen to your body, it will tell you when things are too much! Also....best of luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    2 hrs isn't too much...but I don't know many people who can or will sustain that level of exercise indefinitely, and you'll need rest days.

I used to have many days when I'd cycle for an hour in the AM and then lift in the PM...not every day, but at least 3-4 days per week. It ultimately caught up to me after about 3-4 years and was just too much of a time suck and was taking away from other important matters in my life and other hobbies (that are usually active, but not deliberate "exercise" as in droning away on some piece of equipment).

These days I pretty much lift for an hour Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I ride 12 miles (`45 min) on Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes Friday and usually ride to and from the gym on Saturday which is a good 20 mile round trip. Sunday is my whatever day.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    My only recommendation is that if 2 hours begins to feel like its too much time in the gym, cut the cardio in half, or move to TABATA circuits on the treadmill or rower and substitute HIIT cardio for long, boring steady state cardio.

Less time, but a bigger fatigue hit (CNS stress), especially as an add-on to weight training. It's a possible choice, but not one I'd recommend, especially for a relatively new exerciser. Even elites don't do intense intervals every day, because it's not the best route to fitness. HIIT's really popular, though, because it's time-efficient, and EPOC is allegedly magic.

Did I state everyday? Nope.

HIIT/TABATA invariably burns many fewer calories than steady state. That combined with the CNS hit makes it contraindicated unless you need the V02MAX boost for competition.
    Which is good, less possible muscle loss. Can you think of a good reason why we would want to spare muscle loss? I can think three good ones off the top of my head.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

HIIT/TABATA invariably burns many fewer calories than steady state. That combined with the CNS hit makes it contraindicated unless you need the V02MAX boost for competition.
    Which is good, less possible muscle loss. Can you think of a good reason why we would want to spare muscle loss? I can think three good ones off the top of my head.

I think you're confused. HIIT is NOT muscle sparing. Strength/weight training is, as is high protein. But on the spectrum of muscle sparing, it falls below LISS.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

A. why are you assuming that steady state cardio is boring and B. since when is 45 min of cardio long? I mean I suppose there's a spectrum and what is long to someone isn't long for another person. Either way, two hours in the gym and/or doing a non-gym based activity is fine.

PS. you did imply, even if unintentionally, that the OP do TABATA every time they go to the gym. Whether or not they go every day isn't actually mentioned in this thread.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I exercised before, my training habits were similar. I would do a weight session for about 50 minutes with a 10 minute break. Then take a spin class and stretch. I did this 3 times a week. At the time I didn't have any difficulties with fatigue. It just depends on what your body can handle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,880 Member
    Options

Did I say you did? Nope.

OP appears to be an every day exerciser, including cardio. You suggested (as one possible option) that she substitute HIIT for for SS cardio. That could be read as endorsing doing HIIT every day, and many silly blogs do recommend that . . . even though I'm sure you, as someone experienced in fitness and health, wouldn't suggest such a thing to her. I pointed out that even highly conditioned people don't do HIIT every day in the normal course of training: A caveat, or clarification. That's it.

I admit, I tend to push back a bit on HIIT recommendations here, even as a person who includes some HIIT in her own repertoire, because it's often oversold as a magic everyday thing for people whose main goals are weight loss and/or beginner fitness. It's good stuff in the right circumstances, but I prefer to see people new to exercise start on the CV side by building some base fitness and endurance, then add HIIT after some basic conditioning is in place: A progression.

Of course, as you know, in a context where one is trying to lose fat, there needs to be a calorie deficit, whether created by eating (less) or activity (calorically more).

The calorie deficit creates risk of muscle loss. Of course one wants to minimize muscle loss, though zero LBM loss may not be possible.

Exercise (especially strength exercise), protein/nutrition, and keeping the calorie deficit reasonable (i.e., not losing weight too fast), are ways to do that.

Least possible muscle loss is most good, but, for overweight people - which OP says she is - eliminating calorie deficit is a non-starter as a method. Therefore, SS burning more calories is an advantage. Depending on how one thinks of it, those burned calories can either contribute to a reasonable deficit, or contribute to eating more while keeping a reasonable deficit, either of which are useful during weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The two glaringly obvious factors I can think of which would contraindicate HIIT for beginners:

1) The possibility of injuries because muscles and connective tissue aren't fit for the demands.

2) They haven't developed either the work capacity or recovery ability to do it efficiently. They're either not going to be able to push hard enough during the work periods and/or they won't recover fast enough to repeat the work periods with the same intensity.

Bonus #3): What most trainers/programs these days are calling HIIT isn't anything even near it anyway. It's some trendy, watered-down version of aerobic interval training. Trying to achieve the purported benefits of HIIT from these programs is akin to trying to get drunk from drinking non-alcoholic beer.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends where you are fitness wise. I workout 1-2 hours at a time. Some days I am just feeling it and am having a good time. It isn’t like I am doing a 2 hour hit workout though. I normally feel fatigued when it is time to go home. Listen to what your body is telling you and adjust accordingly