Some Clarity on My Weight Gain

Options
I am 26 years old and 5’11. I workout 5 days a week. My workout schedule consist of weight lifting and cardio. This is my following workout regiments.

Monday-upper body lifting; 20 minute cardio( run for 15 minutes at speeds 5.0-8.0 mph)

Tuesday- 50 minute cardio( do two 15 minutes runs in that 50 minute period)

Wednesday-abs and back workouts; 20 minute cardio

Thursday- 50 minute cardio

Friday- lower body lifting ; 20 minute cardio

Saturday-off

Sunday-off

Weekly meal plan: ( 4 meals a day)

Meal 1: 1/3 cup of oatmeal with tablespoon of honey and 2 cups of almond milk

Meal 2: 4 oz chicken( baked) and 12 oz of frozen veggies

Meal 3: 3 eggs cooked with 12 oz of frozen veggies

Snack: 2 fruits

Meal 4: chicken 4oz and 1/4 cup of brown rice

I try to drink 171 oz of water a day.

I have 19% body fat and wear 34-36 size paints and large shirt.

I do know I did squats Friday and am still sore from that. My weight was 241 last Monday but is now 248 now. My meal plan adds up to close to 2200 calories.

Replies

• scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I originally started at 282 back in October. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure so my doctor recommended a lifestyle change. I have suddenly hit a plateau where I stay at 240s. I average around 1500 mg of salt a day. I was eating around 1500 calories a day. Since my cardiologist gave me the go ahead to resume physical activity in February, I have started eating at a 2200 calorie intake because of the activity I do now. I am trying to get down to 215-225.
  • scollins751
    Options
    I do take Lexapro 20 mg
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to see a trend from one data point. If you're comfortable with your logging then stick with it...it's likely water fluctuation.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You are drinking 11 lbs of water per day. Or just over 5 litres..
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    You are drinking 11 lbs of water per day. Or just over 5 litres..

5 liters

Americans use ounces so technically the proper spelling is litres for those who arent american which is the point of converting for understanding.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    Just in case you arent sure why i mentioned that fact. You have at minimum a potential 11lb variance in your weight per day plus food weight. So timing is going to matter on when you weigh yourself for consistency as well as comparing week to week is pointless. You need a much longer term to see the weight trend.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of water. Does your cardiologist (mentioned in your other thread) know how much water you're drinking?
  • scollins751
    Options
    Just in case you arent sure why i mentioned that fact. You have at minimum a potential 11lb variance in your weight per day plus food weight. So timing is going to matter on when you weigh yourself for consistency as well as comparing week to week is pointless. You need a much longer term to see the weight trend.

Ok. I am making a spreadsheet to track this closer and I have been stricter on my weighing and scanning everything I eat.
  • scollins751
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    That's a lot of water. Does your cardiologist (mentioned in your other thread) know how much water you're drinking?

I don’t believe I mentioned that to him. I do have to take a water pill in the morning to prevent possible swelling occurring from my calcium channel blocker I take at night
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I don’t believe I mentioned that to him. I do have to take a water pill in the morning to prevent possible swelling occurring from my calcium channel blocker I take at night

You need to talk to your Dr. Is there some reason you are drinking so much?
  • scollins751
    Options

I drinking that much by choice. I was looking for the right amount of water to drink a day. I can go all day not really drinking that much.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Whenever you stress muscles, especially to the point of prolonged soreness they're going to retain excess fluids as part of the repair process (water, glycogen, lactic acid, etc.). Between that variable, the amount of water you're drinking, and what effect your medications are having, you're going to see a wide variation in scale weight.

If you're diligently and accurately tracking your intake to ensure you're on a caloric deficit, you will lose fat over time but it may be masked by the fluid/waste fluctuations. At 2200 calories what are you thinking that equates to for a deficit? Given you size and described activity compared to my observed TDEE, I'd estimate yours to be in the 2700 cal/day range. At that rate of 1lb/week loss, that could easily be covered up by fluctuations. I ate at maintenance yesterday and "gained" 2.8 lbs since yesterday morning per my morning weigh-in just because I had more sodium than usual yesterday, that's without the added complicating effects of your medications. In short, I'd stick to what you're doing for another few data points and see where that leaves you. If you're sure your logging is accurate and you're still not losing than you need to increase your deficit more.

I'm also a little confused about how you got to 2200 calories. I logged generic entries using your described quantities and only got to 1400 calories:
    Quaker Oatmeal - Old Fashioned Oatmeal, 0.33 cup dry 100 18 2 3 0 1
    Baked - Chicken Breast, 8 ounces 240 0 3 52 150 0
    Egg - Egg - Jumbo, 3 egg 270 0 18 24 273 0
    Natural Honey - Honey, 1 Tablespoon 25 4 1 1 1 3
    Almond Milk - Almond Milk - Vanilla - Unsweetened, 16 oz 60 2 5 2 360 0
    Vegetables, mixed, frozen, unprepared, 24 ounce 491 92 4 23 320 0
    Morrison - Brown Rice, 0.25 cup 62 13 1 1 20 0
    Apples - Apples, 2 medium apple 160 44 0 0 0 32

TOTALS: 1,408cal 173g Carbs 34 g fat 106 g protein 1,124mg Sodium 36g Sugar

As a general observation, I suggest upping your protein to at least 0.8g/lb body weight and switch to a different strength training program where you're hitting each muscle group 2-3 times per week, instead of just once.
  • scollins751
    Options

I drinking that much by choice. I was looking for the right amount of water to drink a day. I can go all day not really drinking that much.

What you are doing is unsafe... please call your Dr and get specific guidelines as to how much you should be drinking.

I can cut it to 64 oz. I haven’t been doing it but for 3 days. I don’t like to drink that much in the weekday because I am at work and meetings
  • scollins751
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Whenever you stress muscles, especially to the point of prolonged soreness they're going to retain excess fluids as part of the repair process (water, glycogen, lactic acid, etc.). Between that variable, the amount of water you're drinking, and what effect your medications are having, you're going to see a wide variation in scale weight.

If you're diligently and accurately tracking your intake to ensure you're on a caloric deficit, you will lose fat over time but it may be masked by the fluid/waste fluctuations. At 2200 calories what are you thinking that equates to for a deficit? Given you size and described activity compared to my observed TDEE, I'd estimate yours to be in the 2700 cal/day range. At that rate of 1lb/week loss, that could easily be covered up by fluctuations. I ate at maintenance yesterday and "gained" 2.8 lbs since yesterday morning per my morning weigh-in just because I had more sodium than usual yesterday, that's without the added complicating effects of your medications. In short, I'd stick to what you're doing for another few data points and see where that leaves you. If you're sure your logging is accurate and you're still not losing than you need to increase your deficit more.

I'm also a little confused about how you got to 2200 calories. I logged generic entries using your described quantities and only got to 1400 calories:

As a general observation, I suggest upping your protein to at least 0.8g/lb body weight and switch to a different strength training program where you're hitting each muscle group 2-3 times per week, instead of just once.
    steveko89 wrote: »

I split different parts of my body into 3 different days. I only work my chest muscles on 1 day and shoulders and back on a separate day. Same with legs.
  • scollins751
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. This has been very helpful