I need some clarity on why I am gaining weight

Options
I am 26 years old and 5’11. I workout 5 days a week. My workout schedule consist of weight lifting and cardio. This is my following workout regiments.

Monday-upper body lifting; 20 minute cardio( run for 15 minutes at speeds 5.0-8.0 mph)

Tuesday- 50 minute cardio( do two 15 minutes runs in that 50 minute period)

Wednesday-abs and back workouts; 20 minute cardio

Thursday- 50 minute cardio

Friday- lower body lifting ; 20 minute cardio

Saturday-off

Sunday-off

Weekly meal plan: ( 4 meals a day)

Meal 1: 1/3 cup of oatmeal with tablespoon of honey and 2 cups of almond milk

Meal 2: 4 oz chicken( baked) and 12 oz of frozen veggies

Meal 3: 3 eggs cooked with 12 oz of frozen veggies

Snack: 2 fruits

Meal 4: chicken 4oz and 1/4 cup of brown rice

I try to drink 171 oz of water a day.

I have 19% body fat and wear 34-36 size paints and large shirt.

I do know I did squats Friday and am still sore from that. My weight was 241 last Monday but is now 248 now. My meal plan adds up to close to 2200 calories.

Replies

• scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    If you're gaining weight, it's because you're eating at a surplus. One thing to consider before changing your calories is finding out first of all if everything you entered on mfp is accurate, do you weigh your food? Do you enter every food you eat? Is the nutritional food data entered on mfp accurate? If the answer is no to any of those questions, then the first thing to do is be accurate with what you enter, this is an area where people are usually never honest about.

If everything is accurate, how long have you been losing weight at 2200 calories? If it's been month, have you taken any diet breaks or refeeds during that whole time? If the answer is yes, it could be maybe that your body's new maintenance now is 2200 after so many months of being at that number, that means you need to reduce your calories, try reducing it by 100 or 200 and see after 3 weeks your results.

I don't know your whole background on your diet, so I can't really suggest you anything, but when I do a cut, those are all questions I ask myself regularly.

I originally started at 282 back in October. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure so my doctor recommended a lifestyle change. I have suddenly hit a plateau where I stay at 240s. I average around 1500 mg of salt a day. I was eating around 1500 calories a day. Since my cardiologist gave me the go ahead to resume physical activity in February, I have started eating at a 2200 calorie intake because of the activity I do now. I am trying to get down to 215-225.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, it's because you're eating at a surplus. One thing to consider before changing your calories is finding out first of all if everything you entered on mfp is accurate, do you weigh your food? Do you enter every food you eat? Is the nutritional food data entered on mfp accurate? If the answer is no to any of those questions, then the first thing to do is be accurate with what you enter, this is an area where people are usually never honest about.

If everything is accurate, how long have you been losing weight at 2200 calories? If it's been month, have you taken any diet breaks or refeeds during that whole time? If the answer is yes, it could be maybe that your body's new maintenance now is 2200 after so many months of being at that number, that means you need to reduce your calories, try reducing it by 100 or 200 and see after 3 weeks your results.

I don't know your whole background on your diet, so I can't really suggest you anything, but when I do a cut, those are all questions I ask myself regularly.

I originally started at 282 back in October. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure so my doctor recommended a lifestyle change. I have suddenly hit a plateau where I stay at 240s. I average around 1500 mg of salt a day. I was eating around 1500 calories a day. Since my cardiologist gave me the go ahead to resume physical activity in February, I have started eating at a 2200 calorie intake because of the activity I do now. I am trying to get down to 215-225.

I would just tighten your logging. If you aren't using a food scale you might consider the investment. They aren't expensive at all. Be wary about entries you find on MFP too... there are a lot of them that are highly inaccurate and if you habitually use those entries it can throw things off a bit.

You should be able to lose at 2200 calories. It's what I cut at and I was cutting at your current body weight and considered it a very aggressive deficit and I wasn't doing cardio at all.

If your stats are correct and you are 240+ and 19% body fat you should be burning a LOT of fuel. That is a huge amount of muscle for your height... in fact, those numbers put you more than a bit beyond what most calculators predict as your maximum muscular non AAS potential.
  • scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

It still doesn't answer the question if you weigh your food and enter your data correctly. That's usually the number one culprit for people not losing weight.
    Yes I weigh my food with a food scale. I started doing that in December
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I think 2,200 is too high if your goal is to continue to lose ponds. I recommend 1,800 and adding some supplements. I'm 5'9" 155lbs and have a similar training program. The other things I recommend are the intensity of your workouts and the actual muscle movements. You can spend a lot of time exercising inefficiently and get little to no results.

Check out this YouTube channel for straight information based on science.

ATHLEAN-X™ - YouTube

How exactly does your shill opinion have any bearing on someone nearly 100 lbs heavier than you?
  • calderstrake
    calderstrake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh 230 lbs and consistently lose 1-2 lbs per week at 2800 calories.
    Perhaps you could offer some of your personal experience that might help scollins751? It seems like you have some relevant information that would be helpful.

• stanmann571
    Options
    I weigh 230 lbs and consistently lose 1-2 lbs per week at 2800 calories.
    Perhaps you could offer some of your personal experience that might help scollins751? It seems like you have some relevant information that would be helpful.

@jseams1234 and @fb47 have already provided much useful information there's not need for me to pile on with helpful information.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I am 26 years old and 5’11. I workout 5 days a week. My workout schedule consist of weight lifting and cardio. This is my following workout regiments.

Monday-upper body lifting; 20 minute cardio( run for 15 minutes at speeds 5.0-8.0 mph)

Tuesday- 50 minute cardio( do two 15 minutes runs in that 50 minute period)

Wednesday-abs and back workouts; 20 minute cardio

Thursday- 50 minute cardio

Friday- lower body lifting ; 20 minute cardio

Saturday-off

Sunday-off

Weekly meal plan: ( 4 meals a day)

Meal 2: 4 oz chicken( baked) and 12 oz of frozen veggies

Meal 3: 3 eggs cooked with 12 oz of frozen veggies

Snack: 2 fruits

Meal 4: chicken 4oz and 1/4 cup of brown rice

I try to drink 171 oz of water a day.

I have 19% body fat and wear 34-36 size paints and large shirt.

I do know I did squats Friday and am still sore from that. My weight was 241 last Monday but is now 248 now. My meal plan adds up to close to 2200 calories.

It still doesn't answer the question if you weigh your food and enter your data correctly. That's usually the number one culprit for people not losing weight.
    Yes I weigh my food with a food scale. I started doing that in December

Just to reiterate, your OP(Original Post) gives most of your food in cups, but you say you are weighing it.

• stanmann571
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I would just tighten your logging. If you aren't using a food scale you might consider the investment. They aren't expensive at all. Be wary about entries you find on MFP too... there are a lot of them that are highly inaccurate and if you habitually use those entries it can throw things off a bit.

You should be able to lose at 2200 calories. It's what I cut at and I was cutting at your current body weight and considered it a very aggressive deficit and I wasn't doing cardio at all.

If your stats are correct and you are 240+ and 19% body fat you should be burning a LOT of fuel. That is a huge amount of muscle for your height... in fact, those numbers put you more than a bit beyond what most calculators predict as your maximum muscular non AAS potential.

Based on a 34/36 inch waist, at 240+, 19% is probably pretty close, although some photos would be value added.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    measurements like this are not accurate and may be why you gaining weight
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Something is definitely off, if you generically log what's listed you end up with ~1400 calories, not 2200.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

1/3 cup is ~85g

2 cups is 500g

1 tbsp is 15g

2 fruits and 3 eggs OTOH are horrible measures. No indication of what type of fruit even and no indication of egg size whatsoever.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

Based on a 34/36 inch waist, at 240+, 19% is probably pretty close, although some photos would be value added.

34/36 waist as measured just above the belly button - maybe. I agree that a picture would be helpful. The guy should be built like M. Israetel

... but he said pants size and I still wore a size 36" waist pants when I had a 41" belly. ;)
  • stanmann571
    Options

34/36 waist as measured just above the belly button - maybe. I agree that a picture would be helpful. The guy should be built like M. Israetel

... but he said pants size and I still wore a size 36" waist pants when I had a 41" belly. ;)

True, and kids these days are wearing their pants really low :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

1/3 cup is ~85g

2 cups is 500g

1 tbsp is 15g

2 fruits and 3 eggs OTOH are horrible measures. No indication of what type of fruit even and no indication of egg size whatsoever.

well a serving of oatmeal is 40g(1/2 cup) for most brands(quaker,store brand,etc) I have a few different brands here also(hubby eats quick oats,I eat old fashioned rolled) that would mean 80g for a full cup. so I dont know how 1/3 is 85g. 2 cups of oatmeal would be 160g. a tbsp of honey is 21 grams . I have 2 different brands and they both say the same thing.But that is for US measurements,sounds like canadian measurements are different for the same products? which is why its important to make sure that the foods you are eating match the entries you are using
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

1/3 cup is ~85g

2 cups is 500g

1 tbsp is 15g

well a serving of oatmeal is 40g(1/2 cup) for most brands(quaker,store brand,etc) I have a few different brands here also(hubby eats quick oats,I eat old fashioned rolled) that would mean 80g for a full cup. so I dont know how 1/3 is 85g. 2 cups of oatmeal would be 160g. a tbsp of honey is 21 grams . I have 2 different brands and they both say the same thing.But that is for US measurements,sounds like canadian measurements are different for the same products? which is why its important to make sure that the foods you are eating match the entries you are using

Sounds like they are using a cooked weight, which would also be inaccurate.