Women 40s and Beyond: Tell me about your successful recomp

Options
Open to other perspectives (younger and/or male) but really interested in women experiencing middle-age specific challenges like that pesky, stubborn belly fat that's soooo hard to get rid of yet so easy acquire.

My specific questions: what's your weight lifting routine? did you/have you increased weights during your process? have you changed your routine to avoid a plateau? what did you do? how much cardio do you do? do you eat at maintenance or a slight (or even a moderate) deficit? how long have you been working on this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Following! I'm 45. Last year (age 44) I went from 182 to 142 in 10 months. I've been maintaining since November, now maybe going to go another 10 pounds and/or start strength training with the Body by You program. I'm just counting calories, and try to keep my protein up. For exercise it's walking, yoga, and a C25K program last summer.
    I'm afraid it's going to take forever to see results with strength training, which is silly because I haven't given it a good try yet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Open to other perspectives (younger and/or male) but really interested in women experiencing middle-age specific challenges like that pesky, stubborn belly fat that's soooo hard to get rid of yet so easy acquire.

My specific questions: what's your weight lifting routine? did you/have you increased weights during your process? have you changed your routine to avoid a plateau? what did you do? how much cardio do you do? do you eat at maintenance or a slight (or even a moderate) deficit? how long have you been working on this?

Thanks in advance.

fat comes off where it wants when it wants,took me 5 years for it to finally come off(my belly) and still have a small bit. you should increase your weights and progress as you go along. you need to find a progressive lifting program as it sounds like you arent following one? Im 43 and I slacked off weight lifting for awhile due to an injury but started back with body weight first then will progress back into the heavier weights. I eat at maintenance. lifting routines are not going to be the same for everyone as it depends on your goals(even in a recomp). but recomp usually means you will see no change in weight(unless you lose some fat while doing it) but it may not be a big change and recomp takes a LONG time to see changes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    OMG over 40 is so different from being younger and trying to get in shape..the process is slower...
    I need to be really specific about what i eat and how much...very clean (1400 cals)
    The process is slow and frustrating but if you stick with it..it works

I have 10 pounds left to go (which is still heavier than when I was in my 20's). I have a goal to meet by the end of August because i think that's reasonable
    Right now I mainly do strength training/weights at home..light walking
    I add in some yoga for strength/toning
    lots lots stomach exc

GL
    kim

the less you have to lose the slower its going to be and I mean less than .5(1/2 lb) a week or even less.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    SusannO wrote: »
    I'm late 40s. I'm doing keto and 16:8 fasting (I eat between noon and 8p). I don't track calories, only carbs, and stay under 50g per day. I've lost my cravings for bread, rice, and sweets which surprised me. I've been doing this for 6 weeks. I've lost 21 pounds, 4 inches off my waist (where most of my fat sits), 4 off my thighs, and about an inch on my arms, neck, etc. I haven't experienced any negative effects from this way of eating and plan to continue with it life-long. My autoimmune disorder has actually calmed down which was the biggest happiness for me. I no longer have the joint pain I had, and I'm still overweight. I do zero exercise, just normal life walking about. I sleep like a baby rather than my usual tossing and turning. I only need 6-7 hours per night now and I wake up feeling like I already had my 2 cups of coffee. My mood is happier and energetic all day and I never get tired during the day anymore. It's been great. I plan to see what my bloodwork looks like in about 4 more months and see what the changes are. Best of luck to you!

I also do fasting..eat between 8-4/4:30
    but though low carb has killed my craving for bread, sweets etc i feel my energy is low
    go you have food diary anywhere? list of foods you cant/cant eat?

tia
    kim
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    OMG over 40 is so different from being younger and trying to get in shape..the process is slower...
    I need to be really specific about what i eat and how much...very clean (1400 cals)

I have 10 pounds left to go (which is still heavier than when I was in my 20's). I have a goal to meet by the end of August because i think that's reasonable
    lots lots stomach exc

GL
    kim

the less you have to lose the slower its going to be and I mean less than .5(1/2 lb) a week or even less.

Oh boy!
    this is true but hard to hear..hard to stay motivated when you work so hard and dont see the scale move much
    but keep my eye on the prize :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

lots lots stomach exc

GL
    kim

Oh boy!
    this is true but hard to hear..hard to stay motivated when you work so hard and dont see the scale move much
    but keep my eye on the prize :)

yeah I havent lost anything even on a deficit in a little over 3 months,but am losing fat so not complaining too much lol.I still have 30-40 lbs I can lose. I still think I have a health issue they cant find but all my blood work comes back normal.so who knows. but I keep on going. as long as Im seeing some type of results Im happy
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for "weighing in," all :smile: I'm only focused on fat loss. I've been recomping off and on since June 2016 (weights 3x week and C25K 2x). I can definitely see the results. I took a "break" over the holidays but have been back on my routine since Feb. Lately my progress seems to be slowing. I've been working at home this summer so that could be it--less active during the day. So I just increased weights to every other day and added in some new moves from Strong Curves. Also adding in a 3-4 mile morning walk since I'm less active during the day. Just wondering what other people do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thanks for "weighing in," all :smile: I'm only focused on fat loss. I've been recomping off and on since June 2016 (weights 3x week and C25K 2x). I can definitely see the results. I took a "break" over the holidays but have been back on my routine since Feb. Lately my progress seems to be slowing. I've been working at home this summer so that could be it--less active during the day. So I just increased weights to every other day and added in some new moves from Strong Curves. Also adding in a 3-4 mile morning walk since I'm less active during the day. Just wondering what other people do.

if you are wanting fat loss then make sure you are in a deficit of calories and keep doing what you are doing. a 250 calorie deficit(1/2 lb a week) should be enough but it will be slow if you dont havea lot to lose. but it also depends on how much you have to lose. if you have more than 20lbs to lose then you can try a 500 calorie deficit(1lb a week).and if you have been recomping since 2016 then your progress will have slowed by now. fat loss happens in a deficit,but keep lifting as that will change how your body looks.

• SusannO
    SusannO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @kimber0607
    Hi Kim,
    I haven't eaten rice or a full potato since I started, but everything else I do within my carb limit. I had pho but had them put the noodles on the side so I could put 3/4 cup of them into the broth. Split a brioche bun to be the bottom of 2 hamburgers once. That's the main reason I use MFP - to track carb number and then the ratios of fats/proteins. If my lunch meal was really low carbs, then it gives me the option to have some at dinner, if I choose. Most days I eat 35 carbs, but occasionally do 50, even 55.
    I ate vegies well before, but I do eat more now. Common items are oven-roasted brusselsprouts, spinach, and broccoli.
    For meats, I eat everything heh.
    I also found this site called gnom gnom that has recipes for tortillas and bread that tastes good to me and that make eating tacos, etc feasible again with 2-3 carbs vs 35.
    I really struggled finding a rice substitute, and the cauliflower rice wasn't equivalent to me. I use tofu as my rice base when I'm eating something that must be put over rice (to me), like kimchee stew.
    thx,
    Susanne
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

5'1", 116lbs, about 16-17% BF, age 45
    Started out about 1.5 yrs ago with the goal to just lose 10lbs. Ended up losing 15lbs 14 inches and 9% BF but didn't like the way that my new size looked so I started recomp. I ended Dec 2017 at 113lbs and 19%; down from 128lbs and 25-28%. I did a small bulk for 8 weeks from 113lbs to 121lbs. Then I started recomp again from 121 down to 116lbs. I put on about 3lbs of lean muscle mass.

My food plan: I stuck to my calorie goals and macros (40/30/30). I eat pretty clean, not perfect by any means. I lift 5-6 days a week and I increase my weights every 1-2 wks. Cardio consists of 1mile each day/5-6 days a week. If I hit a plateau (I'm not actively trying to lose weight, just reducing body fat) then I review my food and tighten up on my food. If I am just maintaining, I eat at maintenance (usually between 1300-1500 for me) and if I am cutting then I will eat in a deficit (1200-1300). It really depends on what the goal is. I try to hang on to as many calories as possible because I lift so much.

I met this season's goal of 116 and 16%. I will take two weeks off and start back lifting after two weeks. July will be my next season. My goal will be a core shred. I will try to maintain around 116lbs and lean out through my core as much as possible for 8-12 wks. That will mean a lot of cardio and compound lifts.

Belly and hip fat are the last to go. So even if you have great genetics, it will take a while to lose that. Patience is a virtue. You just have to stay the course, eat right and exercise. Cardio is my biggest fat burner but my least favorite thing to do. You can lose the belly fat with lifting but it a very slow process. You cannot target fat loss, meaning you can't say "hey belly fat go away...". Fat comes off where it will when its ready. So you may lean out more around your thighs and hips before you do around your waist or belly. Or vice-versa. You just never know until you do it.

There is a thread that discusses the stomach area. It's a good read if you have time to weed through. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1 The lady that started that thred is a competitor and her posts are a great source of information.

Good Luck

@TenaciousGymKitten - we are very, very similar. I started out 2 years ago with the goal to lose 10lbs and lost about 14. I was too lean, so I gained about 5lbs back and recomped from there. I did however also stop logging and just intuitively ate while making sure I got enough protein. I eat ~70% lean protein and veggies and the remaining 30% whatever I want. I've sort of done natural bulk/cut cycles where I've slowly gained weight (almost back to where I started) and then leaned out again. My maintenance weight has moved up about 4-5lbs from gained muscle mass. I started my recomp around 15/16% BF, but haven't had a follow up Dexa since.

I lift 3-4x per week and up my weights/reps each week usually. I've had a lot of injuries (fractures) this year, so I've kind of been just getting my strength back up which allows for faster weight add. I do some cardio usually daily, but nothing too strenuous. Walking, hula hooping, rowing, VR video games.

After 40 I started storing fat on my lower belly when I never used to. But luckily it's the second to last place for it go from. I can lose it from my belly while still at a healthy weight, but can't lose the inner thigh fat without being underweight.

OP - I have some pics of my recomp on my profile if you want to take a peek.
  • Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am 48 I lost 40 pounds I workout everyday lift weights cardio swim.. Eat a very healthy diet.. Took me about 7 months to lose the weight
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    TenaciousGymKitten - we are very, very similar. I started out 2 years ago with the goal to lose 10lbs and lost about 14. I was too lean, so I gained about 5lbs back and recomped from there. I did however also stop logging and just intuitively ate while making sure I got enough protein. I eat ~70% lean protein and veggies and the remaining 30% whatever I want. I've sort of done natural bulk/cut cycles where I've slowly gained weight (almost back to where I started) and then leaned out again. My maintenance weight has moved up about 4-5lbs from gained muscle mass. I started my recomp around 15/16% BF, but haven't had a follow up Dexa since.

I lift 3-4x per week and up my weights/reps each week usually. I've had a lot of injuries (fractures) this year, so I've kind of been just getting my strength back up which allows for faster weight add. I do some cardio usually daily, but nothing too strenuous. Walking, hula hooping, rowing, VR video games.

After 40 I started storing fat on my lower belly when I never used to. But luckily it's the second to last place for it go from. I can lose it from my belly while still at a healthy weight, but can't lose the inner thigh fat without being underweight.

@mom23mangos Yeah I have broken my spine about 5 times. Last summer I broke my C7. I feel your pain with trying to get back into it. You look way leaner than 15/16%.

Logging keeps me honest.

Jeez! You've got me beat on that one! I'm amazed you can lift at all after that many spinal fractures. Mine were just minor kneecap and foot fractures.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey--yes regarding what you said about a "progressive weight training" routine and heavier lifting. @mom23mangos is saying the same. And @TenaciousGymKitten is confirming that belly fat loss is slower with weights. Good to know.

The only way I know I've lost anything is that I take measurements :) Well, that's not true, my jeans fit waaaay better--hurray!--and I do have some ab definition. That's actually been the best part. I think I haven't accomplished anything, and then a family member sent me some photos taken on Mother's Day. I thought damn--my arms look pretty good :smile:

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and shed 25lbs a couple of years ago. I've been recomping for about 15 months now and my abs are finally starting to peek through! 5'4" 126lbs and something like 23% body fat though I've never had it professionally assessed.

Currently, I walk the dog at a very brisk pace for 7kms/day, I do a body weight strength training regimen (Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade) and I have recently returned to boot camp where I do HIIT for 30mins/day. I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I hit my macros (LCHP) and stay within my 1600cal allowance. I don't eat back any exercise calories to allow myself a little bit of extra on the weekends. Seems to work although I'd prolly make faster progress if I tightened this up a bit.

I'd like to get down to 20% body fat and see how I look at that point. Doing my best to be patient because I don't think I could handle a bulk/cut cycle--it's nerve-wracking enough to see the scale come up a bit as I gain muscle nevermind a full on bulk.
  • mom23mangos
    Options

TenaciousGymKitten - we are very, very similar. I started out 2 years ago with the goal to lose 10lbs and lost about 14. I was too lean, so I gained about 5lbs back and recomped from there. I did however also stop logging and just intuitively ate while making sure I got enough protein. I eat ~70% lean protein and veggies and the remaining 30% whatever I want. I've sort of done natural bulk/cut cycles where I've slowly gained weight (almost back to where I started) and then leaned out again. My maintenance weight has moved up about 4-5lbs from gained muscle mass. I started my recomp around 15/16% BF, but haven't had a follow up Dexa since.

@mom23mangos Yeah I have broken my spine about 5 times. Last summer I broke my C7. I feel your pain with trying to get back into it. You look way leaner than 15/16%.

Logging keeps me honest.

Jeez! You've got me beat on that one! I'm amazed you can lift at all after that many spinal fractures. Mine were just minor kneecap and foot fractures.

Its all about rehab. Do the work, you can reach the goal. You are way leaner on your abdomen than I am at 16-17% . I am dying for a dexa scan. Maybe when I get back from vacation. lol

That's because I genetically have a very uneven fat storage pattern. My Dexa showed upper body at 7% BF and lower at 25%. If someone were an apple shape and those numbers were reversed, they may never get rid of their belly fat (enough to see abs) at a healthy BMI. Genetics can really suck sometimes, but you just have to make the best with what you have.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Logging keeps me honest.

Its all about rehab. Do the work, you can reach the goal. You are way leaner on your abdomen than I am at 16-17% . I am dying for a dexa scan. Maybe when I get back from vacation. lol

That's because I genetically have a very uneven fat storage pattern. My Dexa showed upper body at 7% BF and lower at 25%. If someone were an apple shape and those numbers were reversed, they may never get rid of their belly fat (enough to see abs) at a healthy BMI. Genetics can really suck sometimes, but you just have to make the best with what you have.

Interesting! I didn't know they could measure BF separately! I've always wondered what my % what would be because I'm probably similar to you, extremely lean on top yet have very heavy legs and hips that look like they belong on a much bigger woman :/ it sucks