I need to lose 30lbs, and mostly belly fat from 20 years of beer.

Options
Hi, My name is Anthony, I ran into a NSNG diet, that means no sugar and no grains, and it also says no potatoes and no chili beans, this is hard for me to adapt to but the biggest problem I have with it, is it says, exercise doesn't matter and doesn't help you lose weight...i disagree with that....if anyone has anything to say about that....and I'm looking for fitness friends for advice.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not the part I disagree with the most because it may or may not help with weight loss.

The part I disagree with is the restrictions. Grains can be healthy and filling. Beans can be healthy and filling. Some sugar-containing foods can be healthy and filling. Restricting these is arbitrary and unnecessary unless you're trying for a low carb approach.
  • mookmook612
    mookmook612 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What’s the idea calories per day for a 200lbs female?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    What’s the idea calories per day for a 200lbs female?

Depends on height, age, activity level and desired weight loss. If you're looking for calories for yourself, plug all that information into MFP and see what number it gives you (understanding that 2lbs/week may be unnecessary).
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I once came across a weight loss equation that said losing weight is:
    85% what you eat
    10% moving more
    5% structured exercise.

Seems to align pretty well with my experience at least
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.

I would suggest if you are looking a diet model that ‘off the bat’ you feel will be hard to adapt to then it’s probably not the right model. You should maybe choose a calorie counting/moderation style model and see how that works!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80-85% diet. You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Anthony, I ran into a NSNG diet, that means no sugar and no grains, and it also says no potatoes and no chili beans, this is hard for me to adapt to but the biggest problem I have with it, is it says, exercise doesn't matter and doesn't help you lose weight...i disagree with that....if anyone has anything to say about that....and I'm looking for fitness friends for advice.

Let's do the math here.

You gained only 30 pounds in 20 years of beer drinking right? At least that is your claim.

OK, figure a typical beer has 150-200 calories / 12 oz serving. The typical pound of fat is 3500 calories.

If you gained 1.5 pounds a year, that's about 5250 calories extra. Not bad. That's what a case of beer a year or about one beers worth of excess calories/week.

If you drank 1 less beer each week, you would not only stop gaining at that rate, but probably reverse and lose at the rate of 1.5 pounds a year, give or take.

What I'm trying to say is if you gained weight at that slow pace, starting from a healthy body weight, you really don't have much to change.

Drink 1 less beer / week to maintain. Drink 24 fewer beers for every pound you wish to lose.

Don't replace them with some food or soda, drink water.

30 pounds gained over 20 years is really no big deal and, unless you have serious health issues, you probably don't need heroic efforts. Just some minor changes to drop those 30 pounds over the course of a year.

Just my thoughts.