Strength workouts that keep heartrate up?

Options
Scubdup
Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
Can anyone suggest good workout formats that will keep my heart rate above 70%max for 30 mins?

My health insurer rewards members for exercising for certain lengths of time at certain heartrate levels.

It's meant I've been doing more cardio sessions (no bad thing) but I'd like to get back to doing some strength training too.

Yesterday I managed to do some EMOM mini workouts and juggled my heartrate well enough to get the max reward and that's inspired me to try and cone up with some more of that sort of workout.

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Incorporate cardio between sets to keep your heart rate up. My former (but on great terms - I got to where I wanted to be) trainer had me doing burpees and windspints between sets. I know, I know, no one likes burpees and wind sprints, but they will keep your heart rate up through your sets.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Urgh. Thanks for the replies (I think! - Those workouts sound tough!)

I found a few articles that completely back up what you've both said:-
    One element of my adhoc attempt yesterday that was interesting was doing some Dumbbell Overhead Walking Lunges for the first time. I didn't expect these to be nearly as challenging as they were.

I think a combination of circuit-training and "met-con" style workout formats, combined with a few compound movement exercises should get me what I'm after.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender have a few good strength and HIIT combination videos that work great to keep your heart rate up. Have a look on their website for HIIT and Strength combined videos
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I prefer circuit strength training as well so I can get through my workout faster. My husband is the opposite and takes an hour to do his routine and I probably take about 30-40mins for the equivalent routine.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Kettlebells....... or do your weights in a circuit ..... or Jill yourself and do kettlebell training in a circuit

But check out what you do with a kettle bell ... clean and press for 20 reps each side followed by renegade rows for 20 reps, followed by snatches 20 reps each side followed by 20 goblet squats, amrap pull-ups, 50 swings and repeat until your 30 mins is up

^That's what I would have said. Thanks H1udd.

Good conditioning cross over.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Scubdup wrote: »
    My health insurer rewards members for exercising for certain lengths of time at certain heartrate levels.

How would they know what your heart rate is??

I would separate weights & cardio to get the most out of each of them. It's hard to lift heavy and with proper form while rushing around trying to keep your HR up.

I assume he's linking his Fitbit(or equivalent) to an app they provide.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do the weight circuit at my gym, which is 10 machines and stepping in between.

You use machine # 1 for 1 minute, then rest for 30 seconds. They have a step bench in the middle and I do that for 1 minute. (I don't just step, I really get some height on it to keep my heartrate up), then rest for 30 seconds. Then machine #2 for 1 minute. Rest 30 seconds. Step 1 minute, then rest for 30 seconds and so on...

It takes about 30 minutes. There is a stoplight at my gym that tells you Green for go and Red for Stop. By the end of it, I'm sweating.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lift lighter weights faster?

You could do things like sets of 15 light squats, super-setted with 15 light bench. Then sets of 15 light straight legged deadlift, alternating with sets of 15 barbell rows. But the weight would have to be light. You could add this to the end of a regular lifting routine. Or you could just do cardio.

So yeah, you aren't going to get a good strength workout trying to keep your heart rate up. You need rest when lifting.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Kettlebells....... or do your weights in a circuit ..... or Jill yourself and do kettlebell training in a circuit

But check out what you do with a kettle bell ... clean and press for 20 reps each side followed by renegade rows for 20 reps, followed by snatches 20 reps each side followed by 20 goblet squats, amrap pull-ups, 50 swings and repeat until your 30 mins is up

I agree, kettlebells!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i am doing mass2. wont lie. its a killer workout. 4 days a week (m, tu, th, fr) and its on average 40 minutes each time
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do some burpees in between sets. Unless you are in amazing shape the burpees will keep that heart rate up.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Superset Opposite muscle groups with no rest. (Chest/Back, Quads/Hamstrings, Biceps/Triceps, Isolated Shoulder Front, Side, Back).

The opposing muscles rest and stretch while you to the opposite movement and you'll get a killer workout. Plus, you can do twice as much work in the same time as sitting between sets and phone scrolling.

In my workout yesterday, I went between Bench Press and Lat Pull while two other people shared the same equipment so there was no time for rest. By the time I was done 3 sets each I was completely winded like I'd been running.

Circuit style workouts work well too and most gyms have machines set up in a series specifically for that. Hard to do if it's busy though as the ideal is NOT to rest at all between machines and go around from one to the next without stopping.

Similarly, if you're stuck with a single apparatus, you can do things in between sets on the floor: Crunches, Planks, Burpees...all good. Lots of ideas for you!
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can do a Les Mills Bodypump class. They use a barbell with weights to music. It is fun and a change of pace. The barbell (Smartbell) is designed to for quick removal and placing of weight plates. You can determine how much weight you want to lift. It is usually an hour long class and is hosted in quite a few fitness centers/gyms here in the USA and around the world. I know that the Powerhouse Gyms host them here.