Low fat vs full fat products

Options
124»

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am hoping to get your opinions on low fat vs full fat products. I have read that low fat products often have added sugar to compensate for the removal of fat (flavor) so I am not sure whether it is worth opting for low fat products ie. Skim cappucino or just enjoy the regular cappucino. What are your thoughts please?

I use both, depends on the product. Dairy products like cheese I opt for fat free simply because I don't want cheese to be my fat source; I'll get that from red meat, oils, etc.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @tennisdude2004 it is just as possible that the fat reduced dairy does not have any added sugar. Dairy has naturally occurring sugar.

I’ve mentioned before that I am disappointed in reduced fat peanut butter as sugar IS ADDED in that case and I am not a fan of sweetener peanut butter.

Sugar is sugar at the end of the day. How would the sugar content increase in the same volume of liquid if it hasn't been added either directly or as a consequence of adding a product that naturally produces additional sugar?

I have no issue with there being more sugar in the reduced fat sour cream, but I do have an issue with accepting that 'additional sugar' is in fact 'no additional sugar'. :smiley:

Not to add anything to the 'added sugar' debate, I'm just blown away that Tesco sour cream has all that stuff in it... Daisy (here in the states) has 1 ingredient - cultured cream. The light version has 3 ingredients - cultured cream, skim milk and vitamin A palmitate (helps to prevent separating).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    @tennisdude2004 it is just as possible that the fat reduced dairy does not have any added sugar. Dairy has naturally occurring sugar.

I’ve mentioned before that I am disappointed in reduced fat peanut butter as sugar IS ADDED in that case and I am not a fan of sweetener peanut butter.

Sugar is sugar at the end of the day. How would the sugar content increase in the same volume of liquid if it hasn't been added either directly or as a consequence of adding a product that naturally produces additional sugar?

I have no issue with there being more sugar in the reduced fat sour cream, but I do have an issue with accepting that 'additional sugar' is in fact 'no additional sugar'. :smiley:

Not to add anything to the 'added sugar' debate, I'm just blown away that Tesco sour cream has all that stuff in it... Daisy (here in the states) has 1 ingredient - cultured cream. The light version has 3 ingredients - cultured cream, skim milk and vitamin A palmitate (helps to prevent separating).

I checked the ingredients of this Tesco half fat pasteurized soured cream and guess what? There is one ingredient and no added sugar. As I said before, which had to then be explained in more detail, if you take fat out everything left will be at a higher concentration. That is a pretty simple concept to understand I would have thought but apparently not.

Tesco Reduced Fat Soured Cream 300Ml

Product Description
    Half Fat Pasteurised Soured Cream
    Half Fat Soured Cream
    Information
    Ingredients
    Half Fat Pasteurised Soured Cream (Milk).

Allergy Information
    Allergy Advice! For allergens, see ingredients in bold.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

This is how it can happen:
    - You have a cup of cream, it has some milk sugar, and it has fat.
    - You remove the fat, it becomes less than a cup but sugar stays the same.
    - You top up the volume with cream to make a cup again, so it ends up having more milk sugar (think of it as eating 1 1/4 cup of cream instead of 1)
    - Some processes try to remove some whey to make the cream thicker, which removes some of the sugar, but other processes don't. That's why you have lower fat dairy with higher sugar content sometimes and with lower content other times. You will also notice the lower sugar low fat dairy has more protein for the same reasons above - standardizing the volume on the nutritional label.

By that logic, are you eating added sugar when you eat a larger portion of cauliflower?

No added sugar involved unless sugar is clearly stated as one of the ingredients

Okay, gotcha :smile:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I checked the ingredients of this Tesco half fat pasteurized soured cream and guess what? There is one ingredient and no added sugar. As I said before, which had to then be explained in more detail, if you take fat out everything left will be at a higher concentration. That is a pretty simple concept to understand I would have thought but apparently not.

Product Description
    Half Fat Soured Cream
    Information
    Ingredients

Allergy Information

aqdhxffv9c9v.png

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Product Description
    Half Fat Soured Cream
    Information
    Ingredients

Allergy Information

aqdhxffv9c9v.png

That one is different than the one I came across but interesting that the sugar content was the same. That is because neither have added sugar.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264836160
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

OK, math below

5 oz of cream(hypothetically)-and Ignoring water 1 oz protein, 2 oz fat, 2 oz sugar- remove 2 oz fat. Leaving a 3 oz serving at 1 oz protein 2 oz sugar, Serving size is 5 oz so we must increase the volume.

Proportions for a 5 oz serving 1.6 oz protein 3.4 oz sugar. It's just math and it's really not complicated.

No its not that complicated at all.

In your hypothetical the sugar content has increased from 40% to 68%. I'm not arguing with the math.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

OK, math below

5 oz of cream(hypothetically)-and Ignoring water 1 oz protein, 2 oz fat, 2 oz sugar- remove 2 oz fat. Leaving a 3 oz serving at 1 oz protein 2 oz sugar, Serving size is 5 oz so we must increase the volume.

Proportions for a 5 oz serving 1.6 oz protein 3.4 oz sugar. It's just math and it's really not complicated.

No its not that complicated at all.

In your hypothetical the sugar content has increased from 40% to 68%. I'm not arguing with the math.

But sugar hasn't been added!! It's not Additional. Fat was removed. without the fat, there's a higher proportion of sugar, but that's not the same as adding sugar.

That's the issue. The sugar was already there.

Nobody is disputing that the sugar content is higher. The issue is that the sugar isn't added, it's just a consequence of having a 5 oz serving.

There's also more protein. None was added there either.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It is true with some products that are low-fat have more sugar therefore not really better calorie wise. Low-fat is one of many health halos that companies use to lure customers. When I buy processed food I pay attention to what kind of oil the product is made with and sugar. Fat makes me feel more satisfied, but some days I enjoy fat free Greek yogurt and sometimes I eat the triple cream variety. As for the cappuccino I would go with the real deal, but choose the smaller size or indulge less often if it’s throwing your calories off. Fat doesn’t make you fat, extra calories do.

Can you give some example of low fat products that have more sugar?

Reduced fat or fat free sour cream.

Maybe your brands, but that's brand specific. According to USDA, this isn't the case. As was said: the correlation between fat and sugar in products is weak at best and can't be generalized.

aqx2yaios7ja.png

Yes the Tesco's Full Fat Sour cream has 3.63g of sugar per 100ml and the Tesco's Half Fat Sour cream has 5.28g of sugar per 100ml.

I agree the differential is minimal and I personally don't see any issues with the levels of sugar in low fat options of foods, at the end of the day there is generally a calorie reduction and thats the main benefit.

I was just giving an example. :smile:

That does not mean there is added sugar. Take out the fat and everything else will be in higher concentrations.

The pot size is still the same so they have removed fat and replaced some of that removed fat with more sugar.

No matter how badly you want it not to be true, in the same volume of cream 5.28g of sugar is more than 3.63g of sugar. :wink:

Ingredients

Can you show me where that sugar is they used to replace the fat?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It is true with some products that are low-fat have more sugar therefore not really better calorie wise. Low-fat is one of many health halos that companies use to lure customers. When I buy processed food I pay attention to what kind of oil the product is made with and sugar. Fat makes me feel more satisfied, but some days I enjoy fat free Greek yogurt and sometimes I eat the triple cream variety. As for the cappuccino I would go with the real deal, but choose the smaller size or indulge less often if it’s throwing your calories off. Fat doesn’t make you fat, extra calories do.

Can you give some example of low fat products that have more sugar?

Reduced fat or fat free sour cream.

Maybe your brands, but that's brand specific. According to USDA, this isn't the case. As was said: the correlation between fat and sugar in products is weak at best and can't be generalized.

aqx2yaios7ja.png

Yes the Tesco's Full Fat Sour cream has 3.63g of sugar per 100ml and the Tesco's Half Fat Sour cream has 5.28g of sugar per 100ml.

I agree the differential is minimal and I personally don't see any issues with the levels of sugar in low fat options of foods, at the end of the day there is generally a calorie reduction and thats the main benefit.

I was just giving an example. :smile:

That does not mean there is added sugar. Take out the fat and everything else will be in higher concentrations.

The pot size is still the same so they have removed fat and replaced some of that removed fat with more sugar.

No matter how badly you want it not to be true, in the same volume of cream 5.28g of sugar is more than 3.63g of sugar. :wink:

There's more protein too!!!

Yes, the pot size is still the same, so when the fat is removed, they have to start with a pot larger enough so that when the fat is removed, the remaining pot is the same size.