Do I have to eat just fat?

touchdry
touchdry Posts: 32 Member
Hi folks,
Reached my daily targets in carbs and protein (I'm on Keto), but the numbers say that I am 87g fat, and 773 calories short ... so how do I get there without upping the carbs and protein targets too much? Do I have to eat just fat? If so, what? Duck fat at 99g in 100g!!? Aaargh!

Replies

• touchdry
    WOW that was a quick response ... thanks cmriverside. The answer to your question is a bit complicated ... but, I am suffering from fybromyalgia, and I have been unofficially advised by a nutritionist to go Keto to stop eating inflammatory carbs. I think I have reached ketosis (I certainly feel amazing keto or no!) and am trying to maintain whatever is going on inside. I am quite happy to eat fat bombs, cheese, fullproof coffee, roast lamb ... (slurp!) but the question remains ... how on earth does one do this incredible juggling act to stay keto?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    How on earth does one...do this for the rest of their life. If you stop or fall back into your former way of eating, all of the keto juggling results will be temporary. Keto is amazing until it isn't.
  • touchdry
    Thank you NovusDies ... I do realize what you are saying, and I am trying to be relaxed about it all. This is amazing fun, with cooking up delicious meals whilst juggling the macro's. So, perhaps if I find my calories low I should eat cheese, meat, and eggs ... no problem. I do not want to lose any more weight so I will not punish myself, but rather go for the calories. Unfortunately, because I feel like I can take on the World, I want to exercise ... but that means actually burning up cals ... which appears to also mean I have to eat more fatty, meaty food! Is that right?
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Eggs, cheese, Bacon, sausage, bratwurst, cheeseburgers. peanut butter, almonds ... so many yummy fat choices
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    touchdry wrote: »
    WOW that was a quick response ... thanks cmriverside. The answer to your question is a bit complicated ... but, I am suffering from fybromyalgia, and I have been unofficially advised by a nutritionist to go Keto to stop eating inflammatory carbs. I think I have reached ketosis (I certainly feel amazing keto or no!) and am trying to maintain whatever is going on inside. I am quite happy to eat fat bombs, cheese, fullproof coffee, roast lamb ... (slurp!) but the question remains ... how on earth does one do this incredible juggling act to stay keto?

Plan your meals better: more butter and oil with meals, more fatty cuts of meat, heavy cream in coffee, more cheddar, pecans for snacks...etc. By planning your meals better you won't have that big of a gap. If you're 87 short, what is your allowance? What have you eaten to have used all of your other macros but not enough fat? For what it's worth, fat is not exactly necessary to hit, it's just a calorie filler. You could afford to eat more protein and have to deal with less fat.
  • touchdry
    Too right Mari22na ... I love the idea of this ... and even though I'm very very old, I feel like my body is being made bionic or something ... until I get to this point ... so what do I do ... just eat more ...,
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Thank you NovusDies ... I do realize what you are saying, and I am trying to be relaxed about it all. This is amazing fun, with cooking up delicious meals whilst juggling the macro's. So, perhaps if I find my calories low I should eat cheese, meat, and eggs ... no problem. I do not want to lose any more weight so I will not punish myself, but rather go for the calories. Unfortunately, because I feel like I can take on the World, I want to exercise ... but that means actually burning up cals ... which appears to also mean I have to eat more fatty, meaty food! Is that right?

That is correct. If you want to maintain your weight and you exercise you will need to eat back some of the calories you burn (usually 50 to 75 percent since calories burned in exercise are often over estimated).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    well, that's what Keto is - fatty meaty food. :)

I agree with Novus, though. Get together with your Dietician and focus on nutrition, because there are some really important nutrients that you won't be getting enough of if you aren't focused.

Are you still eating vegetables? Not that vegetables will help with calories, but they are great vehicles for nutrition and for cheese and butter.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    There's a huge low carb group that can help you out. Sorry, I can't post the link.
  • cmriverside
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    There's a huge low carb group that can help you out. Sorry, I can't post the link.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • touchdry
    I love all your answers, so thank you all for answering so quickly. Yes, Amusedmonk, I do need to eat more fat (in fact I'm thinking of a nice cup of fullproof coffee ... and a fat bomb - or two!
    Perhaps it is worth mentioning (or will it just complicate matters? You tell me), having been ill for a year, I have already lost too much weight, so I am going to build that back up in muscle. But I love this low carb thing ... the food is outrageously good ... and perhaps as some of you are indicating - if your not eating enough cals ... then eat a bit of cheese (here in France there are some truly heavenly fooods!) ... a big bit!
  • touchdry
    Vegetables? It is again an interesting question for me because I am very much into wild foods ... right now there are so many green leaves about - callaloo, Good King Henry, Dandelion, Spinach, Carrot green tops, hawthorn leaves, Sowthistle, Nettles ...etc!! All delicious, and so full of nutro's that the shop stuff has already lost having been on the stands for a few days or even weeks ... no, this stuff is fresh - so fresh I find myself grazing ... makes me want to bark! (?) ...

Oh, and I will go and have a look at the lcd people, and see what their reaction is ... and yes, I want to get serious as as my nutritionist friend comes back from where ever she has gone to.
  • touchdry
    Thanks for the link cmriverside ... unfortunately, it does not appear to be working.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Link worked for me
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the link cmriverside ... unfortunately, it does not appear to be working.

go to "Groups" (top of page) Click on Low-Carber forum. It should be near the top of the list of Popular Groups, on the right side of that page.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hi folks,
    Reached my daily targets in carbs and protein (I'm on Keto), but the numbers say that I am 87g fat, and 773 calories short ... so how do I get there without upping the carbs and protein targets too much? Do I have to eat just fat? If so, what? Duck fat at 99g in 100g!!? Aaargh!

How about a nice pan seared duck breast with the skin crisped to perfection.

Unless you have a pre-existing kidney issue going over on your protein will not be a problem (whilst still maintaining a calorie deficit)!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Look up recipes for "fat bomb" desserts, or start adding coconut oil and butter to your coffee and tea. Use more fat when you cook, as well.

Honestly, I couldn't stick with keto and now the thought of eating that much fat is really unappealing to me... but if you want to stick it out, you'll definitely need to get used to adding in a lot more fats throughout the day!
  • touchdry
    ... now I cannot reply ... I get 'your comment will be posted once it is approved' ... why do I suddenly have to have my words approved? Who by?