Recomp calories

Options
Should you be eatig at maintenance or slightly a little higher like 200 calories more to gain some strength and muscle?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Recomp is typically done at maintenance. Some people may define it as very slightly below or above, but I would still consider that a deficit or surplus. If you are eating just slightly above maintenance, 200cals extra per day, it is usually referred to as a lean bulk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about recomp is in this thread, the most important bits right near the beginning:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard recomp discussed with eating at maintenance or a slight deficit, never a slight surplus. I think because in a recomp you are still trying to lose a little fat, and you aren't losing fat in a surplus. A 200 calorie surplus would be a very slow bulk probably.

Honestly though, whether or not to call it a recomp is semantics, it all depends on where you are now and what you are trying to accomplish. My not professional understanding is:

Eat at a small deficit and progressive strength training and you will lose a little weight (mostly fat) and possibly build a little muscle.
    Eat at maintenance and progressive strength train and you will maintain weight while really slowly losing fat and building muscle. Really slowly.
    Eat at a small surplus and progressive strength train and you will gain a little weight, probably @ half of it muscle and half of it fat.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have had some going on from SUP paddling and barbell rows. I stayed at the same weight about 2 months and my waist got a little smaller and my chest and shoulders got slightly larger. There are a couple of pairs of shorts that stopped fitting as well; that's what made me notice it.