Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...There are many types of calories...
    A calorie is a unit of heat required to raise one gram of water one degree celsius in temperature at a pressure of one atmosphere. That's the only type of "calorie" there is.

I suppose if one were inclined to be generous, one could say there are two types of calories: calories and "food" calories (aka Calories or kilocalories). But I wouldn't call two "many."
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's best to use kilojoules instead of kilocalories because it's about 4 times more accurate.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    It's best to use kilojoules instead of kilocalories because it's about 4 times more accurate.

Since a potential estimating error of 1 kcal (or 5 kcal, or even 10 kcal) is not something I'm going to worry about in logging, I fail to see how the illusion being able to be accurate to the kilojoule is going to be helpful.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...There are many types of calories...
    A calorie is a unit of heat required to raise one gram of water one degree celsius in temperature at a pressure of one atmosphere. That's the only type of "calorie" there is.

I suppose if one were inclined to be generous, one could say there are two types of calories: calories and "food" calories (aka Calories or kilocalories). But I wouldn't call two "many."

Yeah, but technically it's a naming convention and they're two separate things - a calorie and a Calorie/kilocalorie. Whenever food calories are being discussed, it's the latter.

It's actually kind of an aberration, IMO - they didn't resort to a meter and a Meter for meter/kilometer.