Found a diet that works

Options
cheese60
cheese60 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I've been on the Calorie-Restriction (CR) Diet for a bit more than 2 months and I've lost 20lbs. The CR diet is based on this idea:
(calories in) - (calories out) < 0

When I was first getting started, I did some research online and found lots of people saying this diet doesn't work. I felt like physics could prove this diet always works so I gave it a shot. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it's been working for me. Just wanted to post a few things I learned and solicit some feedback.

First, chocolate cake and sugary foods make me very hungry. I had some. I weighed out a slice, I was meticulous and logged exactly how many calories the cake itself had. On the days I ate cake (there have been 3), I overate, but the cake was only 40% of the extra calories. The other 60% was from all the other food I ate because I had an irresistible drive to eat more! So I learned, sugar makes me hungry. I cannot stay on the Calorie-Restriction Diet if I eat sugar, so I don't.

Second, other carbs don't seem that bad. I eat sandwiches, tacos, burgers, and burritos. Not all at once, but one of those foods might be my main meal of the day. As long as I eat less than I burn, I've still been able to lose weight. I really like these foods and I appreciate that I can still eat them.

Third, measuring food by weight is by far the easiest way to measure how much food I'm really eating. A kitchen scale is essential! I like to figure out how many calories a food has by weighing it. I take the weight of the food and plug it into a math formula to figure out how many calories I'm getting. Here is the formula:
(weight I measure) * (calories google says this food has per 100 calories) / 100

Here is a real-life example. I measured an apple weighs 109 grams. I Googled "calories in apple" and found 52 calories per 100 grams. If I plug in all the numbers:
109 * 52 / 100 = 56.68 calories

So I log that apple as 57 calories.

This approach also works with the information on a nutrition label. For example, today I ate 77 grams of salami. The label says a serving size is 28 grams and that a serving contains 100 calories. To find the number of calories I use this formula:
(weight I measure) * (calories on label) / (weight of serving size)

for the salami example:
77 * 100 / 28 = 275 calories.

This way of figuring calories seems to be working for me (when I eat at home).

Fourth, for best results, log calories electronically. I started off by logging my calories on a whiteboard. This worked but having to add up my calories was a hassle.

Fifth, get a smart scale. I started off using the dumb scale I already had. I would manually log my weight in the google fit app. I decided to upgrade to a smart scale. I got the scale that wirecutter picked. It logs my weight and a bunch of other stats on my phone automatically. This is really nice. I highly recommend this (it makes diet and exercise more fun). Also, I highly recommend weighing yourself every day. I started off weighing myself once a week but that wasn't as fun. Now I weigh daily.

Sixth, only drink water. This makes life easier. You can enjoy all the water you want without having to log anything. I don't log how much water I drink, I just drink it when I'm thirsty. My smart scale says my water levels are perfect (57.3% of my mass).

Okay now for the controversial part.

I use an appetite suppressant. I am young, active (3000 kcal BMR; 4 hours of activity daily), and healthy. I don't think I'd be able to do this without the suppressant. I did a google search for "best appetite suppressant" and ordered the first one I found. It's been working.

Final thoughts
I have 24 lbs left to lose before I've hit my goal. My target weight is 167lb. I'm 6ft 2in tall, by the way. If anyone has any feedback, I'm open to learning more and trying new things. My plan is to hit my target weight, then I want to gain 7 lbs of muscle. Muscle diets are kinda at odds with weight loss diets though. So I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Replies

• cheese60
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Okay, I edited the part about calorie counting electronically.

Yes, I'm not really sure what to do about the muscle loss. I have too much body fat (especially visceral fat). I don't want to lose muscle (because that will mean more work later) but that fat has to go. I recently started trying to eat more protein. All the muscle diets I've read about have you eat more than you burn. Seems like I'd be going backward.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    cheese60 wrote: »
    I've been on the Calorie-Restriction (CR) Diet for a bit more than 2 months and I've lost 20lbs. The CR diet is based on this idea:
    (calories in) - (calories out) < 0

When I was first getting started, I did some research online and found lots of people saying this diet doesn't work. I felt like physics could prove this diet always works so I gave it a shot. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it's been working for me. Just wanted to post a few things I learned and solicit some feedback.

First, chocolate cake and sugary foods make me very hungry. I had some. I weighed out a slice, I was meticulous and logged exactly how many calories the cake itself had. On the days I ate cake (there have been 3), I overate, but the cake was only 40% of the extra calories. The other 60% was from all the other food I ate because I had an irresistible drive to eat more! So I learned, sugar makes me hungry. I cannot stay on the Calorie-Restriction Diet if I eat sugar, so I don't.

Second, other carbs don't seem that bad. I eat sandwiches, tacos, burgers, and burritos. Not all at once, but one of those foods might be my main meal of the day. As long as I eat less than I burn, I've still been able to lose weight. I really like these foods and I appreciate that I can still eat them.

Third, measuring food by weight is by far the easiest way to measure how much food I'm really eating. A kitchen scale is essential! I like to figure out how many calories a food has by weighing it. I take the weight of the food and plug it into a math formula to figure out how many calories I'm getting. Here is the formula:
    (weight I measure) * (calories google says this food has per 100 calories) / 100

Here is a real-life example. I measured an apple weighs 109 grams. I Googled "calories in apple" and found 52 calories per 100 grams. If I plug in all the numbers:
    109 * 52 / 100 = 56.68 calories

So I log that apple as 57 calories.

This approach also works with the information on a nutrition label. For example, today I ate 77 grams of salami. The label says a serving size is 28 grams and that a serving contains 100 calories. To find the number of calories I use this formula:
    (weight I measure) * (calories on label) / (weight of serving size)

for the salami example:
    77 * 100 / 28 = 275 calories.

This way of figuring calories seems to be working for me (when I eat at home).

Fourth, for best results, log calories electronically. I started off by logging my calories on a whiteboard. This worked but having to add up my calories was a hassle. I tried a couple apps on my phone (its an android). I've found that "Simple Calorie Counter" works best for me.

Fifth, get a smart scale. I started off using the dumb scale I already had. I would manually log my weight in the google fit app. I decided to upgrade to a smart scale. I got the scale that wirecutter picked. It logs my weight and a bunch of other stats on my phone automatically. This is really nice. I highly recommend this (it makes diet and exercise more fun). Also, I highly recommend weighing yourself every day. I started off weighing myself once a week but that wasn't as fun. Now I weigh daily.

Sixth, only drink water. This makes life easier. You can enjoy all the water you want without having to log anything. I don't log how much water I drink, I just drink it when I'm thirsty. My smart scale says my water levels are perfect (57.3% of my mass).

Okay now for the controversial part.

I use an appetite suppressant. I am young, active (3000 kcal BMR; 4 hours of activity daily), and healthy. I don't think I'd be able to do this without the suppressant. I did a google search for "best appetite suppressant" and ordered the first one I found. It's been working.

Final thoughts
    I have 24 lbs left to lose before I've hit my goal. My target weight is 167lb. I'm 6ft 2in tall, by the way. If anyone has any feedback, I'm open to learning more and trying new things. My plan is to hit my target weight, then I want to gain 7 lbs of muscle. Muscle diets are kinda at odds with weight loss diets though. So I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck to you, but this diet doesn't sound like it's for me.

I like to eat when I'm hungry, I certainly don't want to go to bed at the end of the day feeling hungry.

And being tied down to measuring food and 'always' having to log the food I eat doesn't sound fun (or convenient).

As the poster above has mentioned, don't under eat too much as your body will start to strip away lean mass and that's not healthy.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As you're finding out, losing weight isn't the only goal. Many people say they're losing weight, some too fast, and they'll think about exercise, strength training, etc, when they reach goal. Then they post that they've lost the weight, but still have belly fat and don't like their body. Happens often--so get started now to save that muscle. Your weightloss will slow, but you'll be happier when you hit your target weight.
  • cheese60
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like I should change my goal from weight loss to fat weight loss and muscle weight gain. It also sounds like while I'm trying to lose fat weight, I need to do more to sustain muscle weight. I'd hate to get to 167 only to find my body fat percent is still too high.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I feel like this change could be saving me from going too far down the wrong path.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I was losing too fast early in my journey and slowed down for the last half, especially the last few pounds. I got more physically active along the way also. I have been at goal about 3 months and I am finally pretty happy with my arms and chest again (lost some muscle there). If I had taken longer to lose the weight, I might be at goal by now or maybe just pretty close and probably be in a little better shape. It was no train wreck; I didn't have a lot of fat left when I got to goal (normal BMI), but I had more than i liked and less muscle. I have been recomping when I could have been building a little.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I will let the others dissect the rest of your post. I will address your sugar theory. There is a chance you are correct and that keeping sugar out of your diet is better. There is also a chance that if you compare your First and Second points that it is also likely that you might be able to eat it as long as it is paired with enough protein.

Through experimentation I have found that I keep my hunger in check with a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. It is possible the reason why sandwiches and burritos are not bothering you is because they have protein in them. This does not suggest a limit on protein but a minimum for when carbs are eaten. It also doesn't require an exact 2:1 ratio but a ballpark. I know 40:17 is fine and it might even be fine to go a little lower on protein. I don't like to be hungry and eating this way is not much of a challenge so don't think I need to test myself any further.
  • cheese60
    Options
    Alright, I feel good. Today I got a gym membership and started lifting. I searched for "compound exercises" and someone on the internet shared their routine so for now, I am just copying it. I also upped my calories and cut my cardio basically in half (cuz I added the lifting). I will see how this change affects my BMR and adjust my calories. I will go for about 1 lb per week now.

Getting 0.8g of protein per lb seems like a lot by the way. I'd need to eat 550 grams of turkey to get that. I know I can get protein from many other foods and I find it helpful to put that amount of food in perspective. I actually made a sandwich with 500 grams of turkey today. It was really big. I am gonna continue to explore food options that provide me with enough protein.

Thanks again for all the feedback its been very helpful. Sounds like I need to lose weight a little slower to get the results I want a little faster. That's a bit counter-intuitive. I'm glad I posted here; It would have sucked to find that out the hard way.

Also, I will keep that 2:1 (carbs to protein ration) in mind next time I need to eat cake.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of words.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Alright, I feel good. Today I got a gym membership and started lifting. I searched for "compound exercises" and someone on the internet shared their routine so for now, I am just copying it. I also upped my calories and cut my cardio basically in half (cuz I added the lifting). I will see how this change affects my BMR and adjust my calories. I will go for about 1 lb per week now.

Getting 0.8g of protein per lb seems like a lot by the way. I'd need to eat 550 grams of turkey to get that. I know I can get protein from many other foods and I find it helpful to put that amount of food in perspective. I actually made a sandwich with 500 grams of turkey today. It was really big. I am gonna continue to explore food options that provide me with enough protein.

Thanks again for all the feedback its been very helpful. Sounds like I need to lose weight a little slower to get the results I want a little faster. That's a bit counter-intuitive. I'm glad I posted here; It would have sucked to find that out the hard way.

Also, I will keep that 2:1 (carbs to protein ration) in mind next time I need to eat cake.

That is per pound of lean body mass not your total weight.

The 2:1 works for me but we are all different so it may not work as well for you but I always think experimentation is good to prevent non-medical restrictions. Also pie is much superior in every way to cake.
  • cheese60
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    That is per pound of lean body mass not your total weight.

Oh wow! That makes a pretty big difference!!! Thank you for clarifying!!!

• cheese60
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Also pie is much superior in every way to cake.

HAHA! I had a job once where there was a real dichotomy between the cake people and the pie people. I find cake is usually what the people I know eat at birthdays and stuff though.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like I should change my goal from weight loss to fat weight loss and muscle weight gain. It also sounds like while I'm trying to lose fat weight, I need to do more to sustain muscle weight. I'd hate to get to 167 only to find my body fat percent is still too high.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I feel like this change could be saving me from going too far down the wrong path.

{unsubstantiated opinion omitted for the sake of brevity}
    I am not a dietician, nor do I pretend to be.

The bolded is the only factual statement in the whole post.

Word!